When to remove a terrible colonist

Started by EscapeZeppelin, July 09, 2014, 10:48:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EscapeZeppelin

I had a colonist who was an especially delicate flower who kept having nervous breakdowns and psychotic fits despite everyone else in the colony feeling fine. After the third time I had to arrest her I just ended up selling her to a slaver. I hated losing a colonist but she was too much trouble and too dangerous to have around.

At what point does everyone else remove a colonist by letting them leave/sold to slavers/executed?

sparda666

hmm.. this is strange behavior.. did this colonist have a bed asisgned?

BetaSpectre

When they can't work.

Hold her back with 2-3 colonists and have them all talk for a bit she'll get better. Or reassign her to do no work for a while. check if she's starving/tired
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO

Tynan

Sounds like some useful mechanoid/artillert bait!
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

sparda666

honestly, Ive been thinking about people like nobles and others that are incapable of useful work, maybe making some kind of forward outpost somewhere as a tactical base and have them live completely separate from my main colonists, and just have people haul food over occasionally.

not sure how useful that is, but Ive always wanted to try

Tynan

Everyone dumps on the nobles - and then complains when they're getting awful trade prices and can't recruit anyone because all they have are mouth-breathing jock soldiers and miners.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

BetaSpectre

Nobles are also useful for keeping morale up by socializing. Unless I'm near starving I keep em cause they CAN do some work.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO

Klaatu

Escape, I tend to put those colonists on cleaning duty and disable all their other jobs roles. Latrines for them, less of a sandy, muddy, bloody mess and improved mood for the rest of the colony.

I bloody love nobles. Specialized, yes, but soooo good at what they do. Combat effective,  Great at convincing others to join in, and takes care of food via hunting. Realistically any given member is only going to be useful at one or two roles at one time, but nobles are useful for four.

High shooter means both combat + Food , which means Morale. Social = Morale + Recruiting. They're also decent at parking for research since they don't need to be  hauling goods (and research is limited).

One of my best opening strategies is with nobles. Hunt to meet food quota (much faster than growing or hauling prepackaged meals), swap to research, use when attacked, use noble's high shooting with to disable and recruit with that high social skill--or convince an escape pod member.

Trade price bonus is not really impressive, but the recruitment chance is life or death. It means either having extra members within the first few days, or possibly being weeks -- which adds up given the value of having extra workers for all that time. Missing work & losing work due to babysitting due to low recruitment chance really blows. I realize there's the slave trader work-around but that's still chancy at best waiting for them to show.

I love the nobles and their high social stat. I value social skill so far as to get take non-violent glitterworld empaths or popstar idols too.  However, shooting gained a lot more value now that hunting's automated.

I've even started a game with two popstars and a noble, or three nobles before. That was an interesting experience until I gained more members. Fun times with snooty colonists.

Signed,
Not a noble hater.

murhe

I give them best weapons and put in frontline. It doesn't hurt much to loose noble as trained professional.

Halinder

When a single freaking herbalist turns all of your warehouse storage into potato slots. Since when did thirteen people need sixteen THOUSAND potatoes?

theapolaustic1

I had a navy scientist who snapped not once, not twice, but three times (though traits are non-mechanical right now, the fact that she had "hates foreigners" and "history of murder" did amuse me alongside this).

After I completed all research projects, I took great pleasure in arresting her and selling her into slavery. Sharpest mind in the system couldn't think your way out of earning me 600 silver, now, could it?

AlyxMS

Quote from: Halinder on July 10, 2014, 07:03:21 PM
When a single freaking herbalist turns all of your warehouse storage into potato slots. Since when did thirteen people need sixteen THOUSAND potatoes?

Oh I my potato stock is always around 2000-3000 (and I only had 4 people).
That's usually my only source of income other than selling looted weapons.

I don't usually remove colonists. I'm a picky person and I always check their stats before recruiting them.
This usually ends up in only having 4 colonists at day 120.

murlocdummy

I generally like having colonists that can do as many jobs as possible, regardless of skill.  I won't buy or keep any colonists that can't do violent or hauling.

By late-game, you're under attack from hundreds of enemies at a time.  The only useful tactics at that point is to turret them all to death and/or call in a few dozen squads of reinforcements with all the silver you have.

There really needs to be something for the nobles to do while they're waiting for the next trader to come along.  I hope that the Art skill will do that.

Smasher5523

I had a Deathjack colonist arrested once, didnt realise untill it said "1 Colonist Idle" so i looked, found out the colonist was a deathjack, and shot him to bits with a minigun.. At the time i had a bunch of colonists so i didnt care.

EarthyTurtle