[1.0] Thanks For All The Fish

Started by Pyrce, October 21, 2018, 08:01:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pyrce

[1.0] Thanks For All The Fish

A simple fishing mod designed to provide a food supplement to colonies with access to water.

Adds a fishing sub-skill to Animal Handling which is used at FishingSpots (under the Production Tab) to fulfill fishing bills. Fish are like other animal corpses and can be butchered and cooked, though they do rot a little faster so freeze them within a day or so.

FishingSpots have a few basic restrictions. They must be placed in deep water. You can't place two within 10 squares of each other. And finally you need at least 5 squares of water (deep or shallow) to fish.

Fishing is sped up by the Animal Handling skill, and has a slow skill gain attached as a benefit for fishing all day.

Download Links
Steam
Github

Required Mods
- Hugs Lib

Mod [In]Compatability
- Incompatible with Rainbeau's Fishing, but it does a very similar thing so pick one :)

Current (Sometimes Crude) Translations
- English
- Française
- Deutsche
- 中文
- 한국어
- 日本語
- Polskie
- Portuguesa
- Pусский
- Español

Link me translation fixes/additions and I'll add them in.

FAQ

Aren't there other fishing mods already? Why make this one?

I found other fishing mods (at the time this was originally made) to either make the game significantly easier or to add a ridiculous number of items, buildings, and food types. This mod aims to be a balanced addition to the game. If you're low on food, or your crops got blighted, or a tornado ruined your harvest – you can do some fishing for a quick fix of your food problem. Additionally high animal handling skill can be applied to utilize specialized pawns and make a more reliable source of food for your colony. And it makes a great past time for hats while your sewing machine processes the rest of your leather.

Can I add this to an existing game?

Yes. But you might not be able to remove it once used in a save.

Can you change how long it takes to fish?

Yes. Go to the Mod Settings under Options and adjust any of the settings you feel should be different for your current colony.

Is this mod why my game is slow when I load 10000 raiders?

No. But it does lag if you also install Rainbeau's Fishing mod with this mod (uninstall one of the two to fix).

Can I live off just fishing?

Many coastal tribes have proven successful in doing just this throughout history. Most of those also weren't known for their wealth. Jokes aside a zero skill worker can fish ~11 times in a normal day, which can feed 2-3 people for a day if cooked. A 20 skill worker can feed about 8 people a day. This is quite a bit less efficient per unit of time than other food sources. Try a fishing-only run for a challenge.

What was that flying by my screen?

Translating... "Oh say, does that star-spangled banner yet wave. O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave?" ...

License (MIT)

If you're a modder and want to use or extend this mod I ask only that you let me know (here or on steam). Otherwise feel free to use the mod in the making of further mods.