The 72 Hour Mechanoid Siege

Started by kclace, October 21, 2018, 09:19:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kclace

A Story From Dark Age, A Crashlanded Colony Of Outlanders Whom Embraced Medieval Technology.

A fat medieval mistral named Myers steps out of the shadows to recite the tale of the great mechanoid siege.

"Dark Age had risen from the ashes of the great bug out, the time when the toxic wastes forced all of us to flee. from our home. We found a new home, and built a new castle, thick with double layers of granite rock and walled off crops. We swore to never again use modern techology, for that undoubtedly led to the collapse of our last ecosystem. We took losses, but over the months, we rose again. Cole slew his former lover Dawn in a fit of rage and declared himself King. Dark Age was born."

"Half of our colony was out on a cararan while the other half contented themselves with the day to day tasks, but the wicked demi-god Cassandra had other plans.  A terrible storm blew in with terrible rain thunder and lightning. Flashes in distance were followed by large plumes of smoke. The storm was causing forest fires in the distance. But this was not a concern to anyone. The rains would put the fires out, and in time they did, but not before the fires first awoke an ancient evil that would test us like nothing had ever tested us before." (Translation: Forest fire opened up the tomb and mechanoids poured out. 3 scythers and one centipede with an inferno vs 4 medieval colonists).

To be continued...

kclace

Here is a screen shot. The temple where the mechanoids emerged didn't quite make it onto the screen shot but it was off to the right just off the "edge" of the screen shot. You can see the piled up mechanoid bodies from when the siege ended. More story to follow

[attachment deleted due to age]

kclace

Day 1: The Siege Begins

Excerpts from the Journal of Cole, King of Dark Age.

My wife Anna and the blacksmith named Frog were outside the walls trying to keep the forest fires from encroaching on the crops.  They were the first to see the mechanoids emerge from the tomb. I immediately called them back inside the walls. Thankfully, they made it back inside before the mechanoids could open fire. We heard the sounds of human screams coming from the tomb as it burned. Were there people in the tomb as well? If there were, there was no way to help them now. [OOC Two spacers burned to death in the tomb as I watched helplessly]

Unable to find anyone to attack, the mechanoids quickly surrounded our compound and began to pound against the walls. Why they never used their powerful ranged weaponry and artillery to obliterate the walls was puzzling but welcome. Since our caravan was still two days from returning to our settlement, I decided to settle in for a long siege. With any luck, the mechanoids would run out of power or just get bored and leave. I also hoped that a pirate raiding party would stumble upon the siege, setting up my enemies against each other. We slept uneasily as the mechanoids continued making cracks in the walls. It was only a matter of time before a breach occurred. The question was: when it happened, would our reinforcements be here to help?

kclace

Day 2: The Calm Before The Storm

It's been 48 hours since the siege began and the walls have yet to be breached. The mechanoids have chipped away at a good chunk of the outer layer of the wall, and have started trying to breach the inner layer. We are working in shifts to repair the sections of the inner wall that the mechanoids are attempting to breach. So far the repairs are keeping the mechanoids at bay. We have more than enough food to last until the caravan arrives, but we started to run low on wood for the stove. The only way to keep the stove up and running was to  chop up some of our wooden furniture and use it for fuel.

The rain hasn't stopped since the siege began a day ago, but that doesn't seem to have slowed the mechanoids down. Unlike other enemies, the mechanoids show no signs of running low on power or anything else for that matter. The likelihood that they will give up the siege is looking increasingly remote. Sooner or later we will need to fight. I've decided to wait for the caravan to return, and then we will all rush them in hand to hand combat. I tried to sleep again tonight, but couldn't. Even with the pouring rain I could hear them chipping away at the walls. Unlike us, they never eat and never rest. This is truly the most dire enemy we have ever faced.

kclace

Day 3: Part I The Battle Begins

By morning, the mechanoids were on the verge of breaching at least two sections of the inner wall. We did our best to keep the walls in good shape, but at some point during the night our repairers needed to sleep, and I chose to let them sleep. It was more important that every available man and woman be ready for the coming fight then to exhaust ourselves repairing the walls against an enemy that would never rest.

The first breach came in the early morning hours of the third day. It happened in the supply storage room. The first mechanoid lancer to go through the breach was greeted by myself, Peter, and my mother in law Gilma. Our longswords and steel plate armor clashed against the steel hide of that infernal beast until it was felled. Then we pulled back before the other mechanoids could join the assault. We retreated into the inner sanctum and reinforced a wooden door to keep the mechanoids from breaking through. After that we spent a few hours eating, resting and drinking beer to soothe the pain of our injuries.

This tactic proved to be so successful that we tried it again, sending myself, Peter and Gilma into the breached supply room. We managed to dispatch a second lancer mechanoid this way with only minor injuries. This left only a single lancer and centipede to deal with.

The caravan was about to arrive. It was time to end this fight once and for all.

Ookami

This is awesome, need the next excerpt!

kclace

Day 3: Part II Our Finest Hour

By mid afternoon of the third day, the caravan, comprised of four of my finest fighters began their approach. I felt the odds shifting in my favor.  Now there was eight of us, against two mechanoids. But one of them was a centipede, and it would not go down easily.

I raised my long sword high in the air and shouted, "Charge the centipede!" I took two of my fighters and rushed out of the main gate while the caravan fighters rushed across an open field, hoping to close the gap before the inferno cannon could fire. But as soon as we cleared the gate, the beast managed to fire its inferno cannon at my group. I took a glancing hit from the cannon, which badly burned my left hand, and set the other fighters in my group on fire. But our sacrifice was not in vain. We bought time for the caravan fighters to close the gap, and soon a glorious melee engulfed the centipede.

I rallied my group of three, and joined the caravan fighters in the melee. Seven fighters against one giant mechanical beast. The melee lasted for what seemed like an eternity.  At some point I had to peel two fighters off to dispatch the last mechanoid lancer before it could flank us. But the lancer  proved no match for our steel plate armor and longswords.

The centipede was another story. The beast downed three of my fighters before we finally finished it off. No one escaped injury. By the end of the day, our beds were filled with the blood soaked sheets of the injured. Beer was administered freely to ease their pain and drown out the horrors of what we had just endured. Miraculously no one died from infection and my burned hand recovered.

That evening, I sat at the head of our great table, raised up a bottle and offered a toast. "Today is a great victory for our people. In our darkest hour we prevailed. And I tell you this. No matter what Cassandra unleashes on us, we will over come. Dark Age Prevails!" I drank myself into a stupor that night. I didn't want to dream about those things. I didn't want to hear the sounds of them scraping at our walls in my head. I wanted to shut out the horrors that had been visited on us.

For that one night, it worked...

kclace

FYI: Best part of the story is that it actually happened in game. Got to love Rimworld!