Started by J.BEAR, October 22, 2018, 06:39:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J.BEAR

hi everyone, posting a mod here that I helped make:

[1.0] Cargo Pod Transport
non-Steam download:
see attachment zip
Steam link:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1536615776&searchtext=cargo

code by: AKreedz风影
art work by me: JerrBear888

A reusable transport pod that your colonists put together by combing 6 pods inside a plasteel superstructure, open up the spaces between the pods, then install hydraulic legs and shock absorbing air bags underneath. To reduce weight, alot of Plasteel are used instead of steel.
It can carry 1000kg
material cost:
500 Plasteel
100 Steel
8 Components
1 Advanced Component

==================================
Warning:
Do not drop at the edge of map, due to its size (3x3)
it will disappear if it doesn't get enough space to land
==================================

any usage / balancing / artwork feedback is welcome!
if you encounter any errors please post in Steam workshop comments.
since I can't do any in-depth coding, I can only respond to anything related to art.

[attachment deleted due to age]

Canute

Ahh nice an adv. one of these Self launching pods from Wishmaster ! :-)

But if you don't like to maintain and provide a non-steam download, there is no need to create a forum entry here.

J.BEAR

Quote from: Canute on October 22, 2018, 07:02:41 AM
Ahh nice an adv. one of these Self launching pods from Wishmaster ! :-)

But if you don't like to maintain and provide a non-steam download, there is no need to create a forum entry here.

opps, i attached the zip in the thread.
since he doesn't have a Github or other site uploads, i'll try to update the zip by hand here.

Canute

Thanks J.BEAR,
but for a longtime solution you should look for a file hoster like mediafire/dropbox.
Forum attachments geting auto. deleted after 2-3 months.
Maybe you can convince AKreedz风影 to create a github account/project ! :-)

Morbo513

This is pretty cool. Couple questions though, does it depend on having a launch-pad? And if I fill its fuel to full, and send it to a destination that only uses half of it, will it retain that fuel, or does it have to be refuelled for the return trip?

Sepon

Hi J.BEAR, ty for this nice mod =)
Sorry for asking without even trying it out, but how much fuel do you need for this one? It would be great if it takes a loot more fuel than the normal cargo pod :3

J.BEAR

Quote from: Sepon on October 22, 2018, 03:02:03 PM
Hi J.BEAR, ty for this nice mod =)
Sorry for asking without even trying it out, but how much fuel do you need for this one? It would be great if it takes a loot more fuel than the normal cargo pod :3

i think its the same, and it can store alot more fuel
try it out, i forgot the exact numbers.

J.BEAR

Quote from: Morbo513 on October 22, 2018, 09:45:02 AM
This is pretty cool. Couple questions though, does it depend on having a launch-pad? And if I fill its fuel to full, and send it to a destination that only uses half of it, will it retain that fuel, or does it have to be refuelled for the return trip?

nope, its stand-alone like a building,
and ya it carries more fuel so it can make round trips.
u can also carry backup fuel as cargo, and refuel on your trip while landed.

evilbob

Morbo513

So I've been playing with this the last few days, and mechanically it seems to work really well except for the whole not being able to land at map-edge thing. I think that makes it quite balanced in fact, and if possible the option to land at map edge should be removed - if not for balance's sake, to avoid people running into the potential issues caused by landing at map-edge.
Anyway, the problem I have is it makes normal transport pods almost completely redundant - Usually by the time I research it I'll have more than enough plasteel and adv components from fighting mechanoids that there's no reason for me to build launch pads then regular pods. The only reasons I can think of to keep a couple normal pods is either 1: sending reinforcement/resupply to the guys you deployed with this one (Which can be done with a second one of these - and more viable due to extended range and re-usability), and more often 2: Sending one person ahead during an attack so you can specify the landing zone.
To make it more balanced, I think at the very least it should definitely require its own research. Beyond that though, maybe have it use its own dedicated component types, which have to be manufactured at a fabrication bench. That way it takes more time, colonist skill and prerequisites to offset how simply superior it is to using normal caravans and/or transport pods.
Alternatively, it could require a structure to handle its guidance. The long-range mineral scanner could stand in, but obviously it'd be cooler to have an original building dedicated to this purpose. This way, the cargo pod is dependent on at least one of your colonies containing and powering one of these buildings - maybe even someone manning the console.
Yet another alternative is giving it a second "fuel" type. Say it has a capacity of 2, and 1 is used per launch, so you can make one trip then a return. If you want to go beyond that, you have to pack extra in addition to more chemfuel. This limits how frequently you can use it to your production of this second fuel type in addition to chemfuel.
The crafting materials could be something like Silver, Gold or Uranium, plus Chemfuel and Neutroamine - meaning you have to sacrifice stocks or production/buying capacity to make continued use of this pod

J.BEAR

Quote from: Morbo513 on October 27, 2018, 03:34:27 PM
So I've been playing with this the last few days, and mechanically it seems to work really well except for the whole not being able to land at map-edge thing. I think that makes it quite balanced in fact, and if possible the option to land at map edge should be removed - if not for balance's sake, to avoid people running into the potential issues caused by landing at map-edge.
Anyway, the problem I have is it makes normal transport pods almost completely redundant - Usually by the time I research it I'll have more than enough plasteel and adv components from fighting mechanoids that there's no reason for me to build launch pads then regular pods. The only reasons I can think of to keep a couple normal pods is either 1: sending reinforcement/resupply to the guys you deployed with this one (Which can be done with a second one of these - and more viable due to extended range and re-usability), and more often 2: Sending one person ahead during an attack so you can specify the landing zone.
To make it more balanced, I think at the very least it should definitely require its own research. Beyond that though, maybe have it use its own dedicated component types, which have to be manufactured at a fabrication bench. That way it takes more time, colonist skill and prerequisites to offset how simply superior it is to using normal caravans and/or transport pods.
Alternatively, it could require a structure to handle its guidance. The long-range mineral scanner could stand in, but obviously it'd be cooler to have an original building dedicated to this purpose. This way, the cargo pod is dependent on at least one of your colonies containing and powering one of these buildings - maybe even someone manning the console.
Yet another alternative is giving it a second "fuel" type. Say it has a capacity of 2, and 1 is used per launch, so you can make one trip then a return. If you want to go beyond that, you have to pack extra in addition to more chemfuel. This limits how frequently you can use it to your production of this second fuel type in addition to chemfuel.
The crafting materials could be something like Silver, Gold or Uranium, plus Chemfuel and Neutroamine - meaning you have to sacrifice stocks or production/buying capacity to make continued use of this pod

- yes i've chatted to the programmer about the landing at edge disappearing bug. its only due to this structure being 3x3, we can make it 1x1 but its gonna look weird af and clipping through walls etc.
he was thinking about making it only able to land within certain tiles from map edge, but hes coding at his own pace. u can make a comment on the steam workshop page so he can see.

- and ya this is like the ultimate transport for end game, i use it more for caravan requests than anything else.
- normal drop pods are still used as scout and 1-off send supply / troops
- caravans are still useful when i make a 2000kg corn run and buy all the steel/plasteel/uranium from settlements. this thing only carries 1000kg.

i think for balance.... maybe we can make the fuel consumption rate x6 ... since its 6 pods welded together.

J.BEAR

Quote from: evilbob on October 27, 2018, 08:06:43 AM
could i get this mod b19?

i THINK it should work for B19, if u just change the version number in about.xml

Madman666

Dayum, transport problem solved. Cool. Always thought that vaniila drop pods are incredibly lame, so its a god send.

J.BEAR

Quote from: Madman666 on October 28, 2018, 03:50:04 AM
Dayum, transport problem solved. Cool. Always thought that vaniila drop pods are incredibly lame, so its a god send.
when the vanilla pods land they should be hard-coded to break into 1-2 steel chunks
they shouldnt just disappear into thin air

Spaltersar

Quote from: J.BEAR on October 28, 2018, 03:39:59 AM
Quote from: evilbob on October 27, 2018, 08:06:43 AM
could i get this mod b19?

i THINK it should work for B19, if u just change the version number in about.xml

Not sure, if this is a B19 issue, but i did change version number and now using the mod I can't load any pods anymore; the list is just blank empty, nothing to load.