Manageability and Realism: request for recommendations

Started by Jiro, October 25, 2018, 09:42:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jiro

Hello everyone, it is nice to enter into this community. I am recently finding myself hungry for games that focus on resource management and consequences that mimic those seen in real life. Before, I was addicted to modded Factorio, but it was not very long until I realized just how fundamentally limited that game was, and that no number of tiny little detail-fixing mods was going to fix it unless the game was re-coded from scratch. However, I saw Pete Complete's ice sheet challenge series on YouTube and thought that RimWorld looked very cool and like something that I would enjoy, so I got the game and I'm really happy with the way it's structured, all the systems really please me.

Regardless, vanilla RimWorld functionalities are far from perfect or realistic, and so I've been collecting many of the popular "ease of play" type of mods along with others, but I am needing some more and would like some recommendations from those who have been around longer. I don't want to bore those who think they can help if I don't have to, so I will be summarizing the questions at the bottom of this post. Thank you for your time.

For basic manageability and more rational/efficient behavior of things like pawns, I've found the following to be promising (although not all of them are updated for 1.0 yet):
Allow Tool
Minituarisation
Pick up and Haul
Hand me that Brick!
While you're up
Power Logic
I can fix it!
Just Ignore Me Passing
I also like Prepare Carefully for trying to re-create characters from other media. Fluffy's Medical Tab is also very useful, but I find it odd that even in vanilla you can immediately know that a downed raider has a damaged kidney, or that your newly captured prisoner's metabolism is suffering. Is there a mod that requires, say, a doctor's examination to get internal information? Also, Allow Tool's "Finish Off" feature feels a bit overpowered as a filthless insta-kill, as anyone who has witnessed even just a recording of an animal slaughter knows that it is far from a clean or quiet ordeal. Perhaps a mod that allows shooting of tame or downed animals in the head to slaughter them?

There is also the issue of realism which I take very very seriously (...in a game where you can trust dogs to haul a steak without eating it, haha), for which I have the following stocked up for:
Glass and Lights
Centralized Climate Control
The Birds and the Bees
Children and Pregnancy
Combat Extended
Bad Hygiene
No Water, No Life
Although I am more than certain there are many that I have not found yet, and if there are any "must-haves" for players like me I would be grateful for pointers. Personally I would like to see a mod that accounts for oxygen in the air, so that colonists in enclosed areas will suffocate, or fires will go out if they consume all the oxygen in a room. A mod that changes agriculture the same way Combat Extended changes firearms would be good as well, like requiring seeds to sow crops. So far I haven't found one, but maybe it's just right under my nose.
It would also be nice to have something that reverts deadfall traps to how they used to function before B19, since similar traps in real life have no problem being placed adjacent or being re-armed.
Now, into controversial territory... with all the psychology and medicine integrated into even just the base game, it feels lacking to not have events like rape and suicide attempts, and the effect it has on the colony member(s). I hope nobody gets too upset just yet, because even in vanilla you can slaughter baby animals and feed their flesh to the parents, or murder your fellows in their sleep, all very dishonorable crimes that are rightfully looked down upon in real life but make for a very riveting story. I know that the infamous "RimjobWorld" does feature these as well as a sex drive meter that influences some of the events, but I would rather not install that mod because reading through its feature list makes it seem like less of a realism enhancer and more of a tool to turn RimWorld into a fetishist "h-game" (if you must ask, I am thinking specifically of the egg impregnation that happens during mountain infestations).

As promised, a TL;DR for those who want to quickly answer:
1. A mod that requires someone with high medical skill as well as equipment to reveal detailed information about internal organs of colonists/prisoners and hides all health information about non-colonists if it would not be superficially visible. (I guess this also depends on whether the "detail" is concealed by clothing or not, maybe I will have to make my own mod or mod derivative for this part.)
2. A mod that allows slaughter by gunshot to the head of downed/tame animals, and that causes regular slaughtering to result in rapid bleed-out rather than instant death.
3. Any mods that add to realism in the game that aren't in the second list in this post.
4. A mod that uses oxygen for respiration and combustion, such that oxygen-depleted colonists/animals will pass out and suffer brain damage, and that fires will go out if they cannot be supplied enough oxygen.
5. A mod that requires seeds to sow crops.
6. A mod that reverts deadfall trap behavior to pre-B19 (proximity and re-arming).
7. A mod or set of mods that incorporate gruesome events such as suicide, necrophilia, rape, and other unspeakable things.

Thank you so much for your help, I am excited to finally be playing a game that really feels like it's on my frequency.

Planetfall

Drat I had a long post explaining why i liked these mods im recamending but then i hit backspace wile clicked out of the text box so there goes 15 minutes... sigh... the descriptions for these mods explain everything I was going to say anyway.
I love Death Rattle and Custom Death Randomness These two are must have mods for me as they add much-needed realism to the death mechanics. Im pretty sure they are compatible with Combat Extended but i haven't tested it.
Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors so that, in glory and triumph, they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot.
_Carl Sagan_

Planetfall

Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors so that, in glory and triumph, they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot.
_Carl Sagan_

Planetfall

All of these are available on steam i stopped posting links halfway through writing this because just copying and pasting the name in the steam search bar is just as fast for you but I was reading these off my in-game mod list so I couldn't just copy paste the URL. Sorry if that is an inconvenience
Here are mods that add to the social/learning systems
Psychology is great as it adds more depth to the social system.
Grim Reality does some balancing to mood buffs and debuffs.
Craftmanship Lets high skill pawns teach low skill while hanging out
Rimwriter and Razzle Dazzle add amazing emersion with new social interactions and artwork https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1521844535&searchtext=books https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=935948631&searchtext=Razzle+Dazzle
You use Children and Pregnancy? Well, children school and learning adds teaching mechanics to the game. I'm pretty sure people have gotten them to work together if not there is the mod Age Matters that makes CSL more realistic but still not as realistic as CP. https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/id=1541438230&searchtext=learning
Therapy is self-explaining https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1076950211&searchtext=memory
Snap out lets you deal with mental breaks in a sane way https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1545322710&searchtext=talking
Skill overhead rebalances how skill effects quality and success chance https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1204378444&searchtext=skills
Hospitality is an amazing must have
More Faction Interaction is amazing. It adds alot of good content to flesh out the overworld

More general fixes
Better Pawn Control Its a life saver. So good! https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1541460369&searchtext=pawn+control
Pawns are Capable changes "incapable of doing X job" into "dislikes doing Xjob" so your nobleman will be able to do manual labor now, but he'll just be miserable for a while because of it  https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1539312975&searchtext=capable
Avoid Friendly Fire pawns hold their fire if a friendly is in their line of fire
Run and Gun what it says on the tin. it's SOOOOO good!
Simple Sidearms  this is stock in my mind. If you use Combat extended this is unnecessary as it has its own loadout system but if not then you have to uses this. Its so well done!
Pharmacist separates injuries into four levels of severity so you can tell your doctors to use glitter world medicine for gunshots but not bruises.
Relearn Keeps track of a pawns current skill level and the max level the skill has ever been so when they lose a level due to lack of use he 'remembers' the skill faster up until he reaches his or her old skill level.
Metal Doesn't Burn
Almost every mod by Uuugggg. just type his name into the search bar and you'll find a treasure trove of little annoyance savers and common sense tweaks 
Fixable Mood Debuff Alert
Reclaim Reuse Recycle lets u harvest bionics from the dead.
Supply and Demand the richer you are the richer the richer the traders. Well balanced last I checked
Please Haul Perishables you ever get sick of your colononists hauling slate blocks while your fall harvest rots in the rain?
Nature is Beautiful Rebalances the beauty of dirt and plants
Turn it on and off  workstations use tiny amounts of power when not in use but drain even more power than stock when in use for balance.
Vein miner lets you designate an entire vein of ore to be mined even the ore that is hidden. it's a bit cheaty in that you instantly know how large a vain is. I doubt you want it because of that but it is such a time saver I just have to recommend it

Animals
Pack Mules Extended All animals can be trained to carry packs for caravans.
Giddy Up is a four-part pack that adds the ability to ride animals. it's well balanced and really well done
Animal Logic Lots of common sense rebalances and features
[RF]Fishing lots of mods out there for fishing but Flambe's mod is the best one I've played

There are more mods that I use all the time, but the list is already too long. Most of these mods I consider essential to the game. But unfortunately, many of these mods haven't been updated to 1.0 I haven't played rim world for months because the games been updating so much recently. Hopefully, now 1.0 is out the modding community can focus on making their mods more stable. I have had a few problems with crashes do to mods. None of the culprits are on this list im almost certain of that, but seeing how many updates the game has gone through I have no guarantees about this lists stability once everything is updated to 1.0. I'm going to mark which mods are updated in a little bit but i need to take a break right now. Ive been at this for a good 2 hours now and i need to start on Homework.

I hope this list helps! Happy landings

_Carl Sagan_

Jiro

Holy cow, I was close to fainting when I saw the total size of your replies. And even after having it all deleted, too! You're the man. I must say though, it's odd that that happened. Usually browsers remember pending text field inputs, so even if you close the tab entirely you can still go back to what you were writing. Thank you so much, these lists are great.
So... no sex crimes and suicide?

Ruisuki

is there still a point in using centralized climate control if dubs also deals with temperature iirc?

Planetfall

Im glad i could help
Well if you want suicide id don't know any mod for that but, psychology adds the mental break " self-harm" in which colonists hid in their rooms and slit their wrists. It breaks if you give them bionics though as those don't have hands and don't bleed. They just sit in their room staring at their arms doing nothing. It doesn't crash the game or cause problems, it's just a bit emersion breaking.

Also, i didn't lose the whole post just the first list talking about Death rattle and Custome death randomness. I would have lost my mind if I lost the main post :P
_Carl Sagan_

Jiro

Quote from: Ruisuki on October 28, 2018, 01:42:02 AM
is there still a point in using centralized climate control if dubs also deals with temperature iirc?
That's a good point. I'll have to play them both and see which one is better. Bad Hygiene is compatible with water mods, isn't it?
Quote from: Planetfall on October 28, 2018, 02:16:34 PM
Well if you want suicide id don't know any mod for that but, psychology adds the mental break " self-harm" in which colonists hid in their rooms and slit their wrists. It breaks if you give them bionics though as those don't have hands and don't bleed. They just sit in their room staring at their arms doing nothing. It doesn't crash the game or cause problems, it's just a bit emersion breaking.
That's kinda funny actually. I wonder if it would trigger another mental break once a bionics-user realizes they're too strong to hurt themselves.
Conflating self-harm with suicide is a bit of a mistake though, one isn't always related to the other. I was wondering more about a colony collapsing slowly, with the eventual starving sole survivor getting stronger and stronger mood debuffs about burying his dead friends and how hopeless his future is, and he decides to put an arrow through his own heart. Or, say, a rich explorer suffering fatal injuries in the middle of nowhere after defending against a warg attack, so she uses her last bullet to put herself out of her own misery. Something like that. RimWorld is a game about making dramatic stories with RNG events, isn't it?

Planetfall

Ah! I found a mod that adds suicide! Don't know if its compatible with Combat Extended though... https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=34214.msg349406
This mod adds a ton of diseases both physical and mental. If the sickness 'Unease' can cause a pawn to kill themselves.
_Carl Sagan_

Jiro

Quote from: Planetfall on November 07, 2018, 05:49:40 PM
Ah! I found a mod that adds suicide! Don't know if its compatible with Combat Extended though... https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=34214.msg349406
This mod adds a ton of diseases both physical and mental. If the sickness 'Unease' can cause a pawn to kill themselves.
Thank you! Just what I was looking for. And a 1.0 version available to boot!