Please improve debug output

Started by letharion, July 09, 2014, 06:33:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

letharion

I have a game running with multiple mods. After a long time, a couple of bugs have emerged. Some are big, some are small, some a clearly mod related, some might not be.

Since there are multiple mods and multiple bugs involved, it's not obvious how I go about effectively reporting the bug.

Please make it easier to figure what went wrong and why.

Suggestions:

• Strip the absolute paths from the back trace. Seeing that the code was residing on C:\ when compiled only takes up space. Removing this information would improve readability.
  • 1. Make it simple to copy the back trace from a log message. This makes it easier for me to read it as I can reformat it, and allows me to post it to mantis or the relevant mod topic.
  • Include more information in the back trace. Currently when reading my back traces, I find nothing that's really helpful in determining more than "something broke". I see a couple of function names, but they all look completely generic "GiveJob", or some such. Perhaps including function arguments could be a way forward, though I realize this might have a massive performance penalty.
  • I have no idea how this would work really, but there's probably lots of RW players who can't meaningfully read a back trace. Adding some kind of tools for them to help report problems better would be good.

letharion