Which biome should I go with for my first 1.0 game?

Started by eugeneb, October 25, 2018, 11:53:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eugeneb

Hey y'all,

Life got in the way and I couldn't play for a while, since v18 I think so I am two versions behind. I am planning to turn on my gaming computer this weekend finally, update to 1.0 and do some serious Rimworlding. I am super pumped and can't decide which biome to start on! ;D What are your recommendations?

I am fairly experienced but usually don't do hardcore digging into mechanics. In the past I've enjoyed cold maps since I like winter and snow but it was getting boring eventually after a couple in game years once things settle in. I also almost never travelled because it was super slow. I've also somewhat enjoyed desert map - it looked cool, like something from a wild west movie and I could finally use caravans and stuff  ;D I am torn, can't decide: should I do winter map with epic fortress with greenhouses, or open desert map with river, or may be temperate map to see pretty fall colors but worried it will be too easy, or may be mountain map with a dramatic infestation ending, or may be try something radically new like jungle...I don't know what to do!  :o

Scavenger

Well... what do you like?

If you like animals, extreme biomes, hot or cold, dont have many.

I have done boreal, jungle, and arid, and look forward to swamp as its so different! I would say jungle or a swamp.
"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

AileTheAlien

If you want to play on a desert map with some extra challenge, try my sand-themed mod. Notably, the game is much harder early on, since walls now need heavy terrain, and sand has only medium. If you want to play vanilla with extra challenge, try the ice-sheet challenge. It's bloody hard! :)

Kirby23590

I would recommend either temperate forests or arid shrublands as your starting biomes.  ;D

If you like a balanced temperature with summer and winter along with making large farms, go for temperate forests...

arid shrublands are good too, not a lot space for growing, unless you prefer potatoes which grows fine in gravel & stony-soil, there's also a lot of building space as well but not a lot of trees however...

One "happy family" in the rims...
Custom font made by Marnador.

B@R5uk

Quote from: eugeneb on October 25, 2018, 11:53:36 PM...I also almost never travelled because it was super slow...

Now try settle somewhere on the road near cluster of settlements preferably not in jungle or mountain area as these terrains greatly slow down caravan moving speed. You will get a lot of trade quests which will bring sometimes very unique items.

b0rsuk

If you like tame thrumbos, play extreme desert. Thrumbos come as usual, and apparently chance of "animal self-tamed" event is not related to number of wildlife on map.

On the other hand, you won't be able to make the thrumbo do anything other than sell or butcher it.

eugeneb

Hey, just as a follow up: I did cold bog on naked brutality and it was glorious! Died in the first year from an unfortunate outlander raid. I really love 1.0 so far and noticing a lot of various subtle tweaks that really improve the experience (like not being able to permanently friend hostile tribe by releasing prisoners, doors closing with delay, etc, etc).

jpinard

Quote from: AileTheAlien on October 26, 2018, 12:18:17 AM
If you want to play on a desert map with some extra challenge, try my sand-themed mod. Notably, the game is much harder early on, since walls now need heavy terrain, and sand has only medium. If you want to play vanilla with extra challenge, try the ice-sheet challenge. It's bloody hard! :)

Is your mod on Steam?

Serenity

Boreal forest is always nice. Pick a map with a nice summer growing period, but also cold winters. So you have farming and also tons of animals for hunting. That way you get variation with cold, but it's not a huge challenge

kclace

What difficulty level are you doing?

I like Cassandra and Phoebe on Rough. My favorite biomes are desert, temperate swamp, and rainforest. I also like flat terrain.

I vote for doing some kind of swamp. It's a real challenge from a base building perspective.