World gen question

Started by AlyfoxLP, October 26, 2018, 12:05:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlyfoxLP

Is there any setting I can use to reduce the amount of Marsh found in forests? I just landed in a boreal forest and probably a fifth of the land is covered in marsh. I even reduced rainfall on this world -_-

B@R5uk

Later in the game you can use moisture pump to convert marsh and mud into farmable soil. In the early game you can use bridges to make such tiles buildable. Presents of marsh cells on the map is integral part of biome you have chosen, so the only way to reduce amount of marsh is to try another world tile and see if it will be placed somewhere near the edges. But make double sure that you choose exactly boreal forest and not some cold swamp.

Also there is such information as overall rainfall for every world tile. Try selecting one with minimal possible value. Not sure if this helps, but there is no harm in trying.

Shurp

You can reduce the moisture of the planet.  But the boreal forest is there *because* of the swampiness.  Trees need water, and in cold climates solar evaporation is so low that water accumulates and feeds the trees.

If you cut the moisture down you'll get tundra instead of boreal forest.  Try it -- use the same world seed but reduce the moisture even more.

Consider the swamp part of the challenge.  It's also an opportunity -- raiders crossing swamp are easy targets to gun down.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

RicRider

The convenient way to do what you want is with the "MapReroll" mod. It lets you randomise your your map over and over when you've landed until you get a layout you want.

The tedious way to do what you want is to open dev mode and teleport around to different boreal map tiles until you find one that works for you!
##Coding Scrub##

Shurp

The much less tedious way to do it is to open devmode and just replace the swamp with something else.

Devmode / Debug Actions / Spawn / Tool: Set Terrain / Soil (or whatever you want there instead)

At least, this is in 0.18.  I don't know what's available in your version.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Serenity

Try another map. It can vary somewhat due to the randomness.

The location of the marsh is really more important than the size. Nicely placed marsh is a great way to slow down raiders. But it can of course cut into your base expansion in very annoying ways