Artificial limbs repair (healing)

Started by scorpi753, October 26, 2018, 02:45:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scorpi753

I came up with this yesterday and was advised to post it here, so let me know what you guys think.
I noticed that one of my pawns, who has a peg leg, required this leg to be healed after a fight. I didn't see if on the leg was used medicine or not.
My suggestion, is to make it so that we are required to use the material, from which the limb is made of, to repair it. I guess, to me, it makes more sense that we should use wood to repair a peg leg, instead of medicine, for example.

[attachment deleted due to age]

AileTheAlien

I'm a bit surprised that artificial limbs act like they currently do. It doesn't really make sense for them to require bandages, and even less so for when they self-heal. (Except archotech limbs, of course.)

Your suggestion sounds like a decent system, although it might be more complex than needed. Like, does it require the crafting or construction skills (both already fairly overloaded), or no skill at all? How much resources would it use? A simpler solution (as far as I can see / estimate) would be to mod the game to not allow healing or bandaging for artificial limbs, and just have them slowly wear out from battles; Then you'd need to replace them when they eventually break. To compensate, you'd probably want to buff their HP, but I think it'd be a better system.

Planetfall

Yeah, I like that. It's a bit odd that you couldn't repair at all, but you cant repair weopons or clothing in the stock game either so it fits. It would also make Archotech limbs much more important, and splurging on them would be the only long-term prosthetic investment.

But what about prosthetic organs? I'd be fine if they wore out. It would make a lot of sense (what powers them?). But I'd definitely need a message warning me of a worn-out heart. I'd hate to just have pawns drop dead with no warning (well it would probably be gradual seeing how efficiency is linked to heath but still).
Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors so that, in glory and triumph, they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot.
_Carl Sagan_

AileTheAlien

Maybe a message on the side, like when pawns have tattered-apparel, or when a hunter has no weapon? "Artificial limb is about to break."

Planetfall

Yeah, I was thinking of something like that too, But also to perhaps have an actual warning message when a part is about to fail. Yellow when it will fail within a season, Red if it will fail in the next five days. These messages only happen with organs, not limbs or eyes etc. pawns don't keel over dead when their shirt falls apart so i think to have messages pop up to warn of the danger to new players or distracted ones is important enough to warrant it.

Though looking back on your post I can't tell if you were saying to use both the notes on the side and the mail or just the notes on the side. Sorry if I misconstrued your point there.

On a side note, how do you stop your text overwriting its self if you want to go back and insert a new word? I'd google it but if forgot the word for when this happens. I feel like its just an easy settings switch, but i can't remember the button for the life of me.
Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors so that, in glory and triumph, they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot.
_Carl Sagan_