Ship cryptosleep is kind of unnessacary

Started by CucumberedPickle, October 28, 2018, 12:17:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CucumberedPickle

So, judging from the research topics and descriptions of ship parts, we can infer that the rockets in Rimworld are fueled by smashing matter into antimatter, which creates pure energy. Using Einstein's E=mc^2, 1 kg of matter and 1 kg of antimatter will create 9*10^16 Joules of energy. In order to put that in motion, we use F=ma. The only problem is the mass, but since NASA is planning on building a rocket that's around 2.5*10^6 kg, we'll use that as our mass. So, we have our force (9*10^16 N) and mass (2.5*10^6 kg), and that gives us 3.6*10^22 m/s^2. That is so much acceleration, in order to reach the speed of light, it'll take 8.33*10^-15 seconds. So yeah, the rocket travels at the speed of light. But what does that have to do with the cryptosleep caskets being useless? Time dilation states that as objects approach the speed of light, time seems to move slower. At the speed of light, people on a rocket will look out their window to see time seemingly stopped. And when they reach their destination, it doesn't matter how many centuries they traveled, they wouldn't have aged at all. Also, just a clarification, colonists be wouldn't traveling at the speed of light, just near it, because unless your a photon, that's impossible. So suspended animation in space is kind of useless, but what do I know, it's quarter past midnight, and this is just of numbers pulled out of hat backed by more numbers out of hat. But I still believe that cryptosleep on Rimworld rockets are completely and utterly useless.
The number of possible signatures there are might as well be, for practical use, infinite, yet I chose this one.

B@R5uk

What a mess! Joules and Newtons are two absolutely different things! To convert energy into force you need a coefficient that reflect propulsion system ship is using. And there are so many things to consider including speed at which matter and antimatter is converting into energy.

Also one cannot reach The Speed Of Light. Never. The closer you get to it the less acceleration with the same propulsion force is. Also there is time dilation thing. For wingside spectator rocket will lose propulsion force as its time slows. But nevertheless that just for some unrelated people, rocket passengers will see the same problem just from another angle because of relativistic factor:

F = dp / dt

p = γ m v

γ = 1 / (1 - v^2 / c^2) ^ (1/2)

a = dv / dt

Now in case F || v:

F = d/dt [m v / (1 - v^2 / c^2) ^ (1/2)] = m dv/dt / (1 - v^2 / c^2) ^ (3/2)

And:

F = γ^3 m a

a = F / (m γ^3)

So the greater the speed v is, the greater the relativistic factor γ is and the less acceleration a is.

B@R5uk

Quote from: PicklesAreTasty on October 28, 2018, 12:17:27 AMAt the speed of light, people on a rocket will look out their window to see time seemingly stopped. And when they reach their destination, it doesn't matter how many centuries they traveled, they wouldn't have aged at all.

No, that is not what will happen. When they look through view port they will see the world will shrink into one point their rocket is moving towards. But that is just optical illusion due to relativistic Doppler effect, what they will see after applying some correction calculations is that the world is flatten across direction of their rocket speed vector (Lorentz contraction) and they threat a lot of real distance just like that.

But their time will not stop, they will age just as every one else given that their journey is long enough. And it must be long enough, I can guaranty that as I some time have tried to calculate time in rocket clocks which is needed to reach 90% of The Speed Of Light travelling with safe acceleration. There is also time needed to reach destination and this time is not some short timespan.

Shurp

Have you considered what happens to a colonist when you accelerate from 0 m/s to 2.7*10^8 m/s in one second?

*squish*

That's why you need to freeze the colonist solid first -- so he doesn't turn into a spongy mess on your rocket's floor. 

BTW, joules are a measure of energy.  Ignoring relativity, E = mv^2/2.  So if your spaceship is 2.5*10^6 kg, and you're traveling at 2.7*10^8 m/s, that requires 9*10^22 J of energy.  So you'll need to vaporize 10^6 kg of matter to get to that speed.  Dayum.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Canute

You forget one important thing.
Even if you could fly nearly lightspeed, the ship don't got any protection systems.
The insterstellar dust would eat up the armor/hull and destroy the ship.
So the ship need to fly much slower, so small particles arn't any danger anymore, and the ship AI could evade bigger ones.

B@R5uk

Quote from: Shurp on October 28, 2018, 03:44:48 AM... So you'll need to vaporize 10^6 kg of matter to get to that speed.

Energy conservation law is not the main wet blanket though. Momentum conservation law is. To get some speed one need to push off from something. Rockets push off from reaction mass and this is where all the matter is squandered away. The best engine in terms of matter-efficiency is ions thrusters which will expell ionized atoms at sublight speed but their propulsion force will still be very low.

Ser Kitteh

I came into this thread wondering why we at all need two pieces of furniture that more or less did the same thing but I guess not lol

B@R5uk

Quote from: Canute on October 28, 2018, 03:46:33 AMThe insterstellar dust would eat up the armor/hull and destroy the ship.

That is quite an observation! This inerstellar dust will act on spaceship as water does on submarine applying friction and reducing ship speed. I fear that this friction will counterbalance propulsion force long before relativistic factor becomes long enough to be sufficient. On the good note now we found how to replenish our evanescent matter needed for propulsion system!

jamaicancastle

Quote from: Ser Kitteh on October 28, 2018, 08:14:50 AM
I came into this thread wondering why we at all need two pieces of furniture that more or less did the same thing but I guess not lol
My impression is that ship CS caskets have additional hardening that makes them vacuum- and acceleration-safe, whereas normal CS caskets don't need that, don't have it, and are therefore cheaper. But I don't know if they're actually cheaper in-game.

Quote from: B@R5uk on October 28, 2018, 09:26:30 AM
That is quite an observation! This inerstellar dust will act on spaceship as water does on submarine applying friction and reducing ship speed.
The problem isn't that it will apply drag and slow the ship down. The problem is that your ship will be gradually worn away by the impacts, and if it's hit in the wrong place, it could fail catastrophically. The faster you go, the greater the danger.

kclace

Human interstellar travel is impossible.

Humans won't ever be able to live on other planets for anything other than short lengths of time.

Once Earth is over, we're over.

So let's enjoy our gaming shall we?

Shurp

Quote from: B@R5uk on October 28, 2018, 09:26:30 AM
On the good note now we found how to replenish our evanescent matter needed for propulsion system!

And we also know how to design our propulsion system.  Imagine we have an electromagnetic field around the ship which protects it from the interstellar dust particles.  Well, tweak it so that it wraps the particles around the ship and ejects them out the backside at near light speed.  There's your ion drive!

If having your propulsion system on the outside of the ship is too weird for you, then just put a giant funnel on the front end and an acceleration tube down the middle.  And since the interstellar medium is mostly hydrogen, just squeeze it down the pipe and eject helium out the backside.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

CucumberedPickle

Sorry I was high on caffeine and had google open in 7 other tabs
The number of possible signatures there are might as well be, for practical use, infinite, yet I chose this one.

Desert Pone

has anyone taken into account the red shift/blue shift effect? your colonists would get fried by high energy radiation in addition to getting swiss cheesed by even the slightest spec of dust.
cryptosleep is still essential however if your going at sublight speeds, with how large the milky way galaxy is it could take thousands of years to get to the next colony or habitable planet (or rock that the AI captain decides to strand you on)

i can't give even a rough estimate of the number of habitable planets in the galaxy, but i can say with 100% confidence that you will need either a generational ship or a sleeper ship in order to have your crew be fit enough for colonization

i don't think theres a working map of habitable systems and even if there was you can't be sure some nutcase of a civilization hasen't nuked the planet into a tomb world by the time you get there.
that of course is assuming you can figure out where you started your trip at, constellation cartography like what sailors used here on earth is useless, look hard or long enough and you can find whatever constellations you want wherever you want

im not sure what means you would use for interstellar navigation, theres enough stars in the Milky Way that at least some of them will be identical no matter what system/tools you use.
you probably won't be able to use extra-galactic galaxies because i don't see the kind of astronomical and mechanical equipment you would need in the research tree: astronomical to I.D the galaxies based on an alphabet soup of terms, mechanical to figure out the exact angles down to atomic scales (unless "somewhere in this 10,000 LY circle" is good for navigating)

so in short, if you don't mind your colonists being skeletons crypotosleep is not needed, if you want them alive and in good condition it is essential on the same level as the engine

Kirby23590

I don't know, but i'm no rocket scientist nor a person knows about space travel.

But you can't really survive out there in space without cyrosleep since this game's lore said that FTL ( Faster than Light ) Travel since there's no such thing of this seen in Sci-fi media all around.

Well i don't know what to do when in space in a spaceship without FTL and no Cyrosleep and let's say the planet such as jupitar's moon Io or even the dwarf planet Pluto.

Well of course we will ran out of food quickly and go insane and bunch of no good stuff in that spaceship since we don't such super advanced technology IRL, we could only launch space drones or satellites into space.

One "happy family" in the rims...
Custom font made by Marnador.

Planetfall

Well, seeing this is Rimworld I'd say one of the biggest reasons to use cryptosleep is to prevent the pyromaniac going nuts mid-route. :P
You don't need to worry about nearly as many things if all your passengers are unconscious. No need to waste energy hauling billiards tables, horseshoe pins, and royal beds to a new star. Each milligram counts when your changing speeds that much.
Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors so that, in glory and triumph, they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot.
_Carl Sagan_