Pawns should carry by weight, not count.

Started by CucumberedPickle, October 28, 2018, 01:12:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CucumberedPickle

A normal healthy human can carry 75 things (usually) when not in a caravan. 75 of ANYTHING. 75 stone blocks, 75 logs, 75 hunks of steel, 75 meat, 75 potatoes, 75 pieces leather and so on. Why is it that when in the colony, colonist carry a number of things regardless of how much they weigh, when in a caravan they can only carry so much kg? Shouldn't colonists be able to carry more leather than steel for instance? Maybe for large objects, like thrumbo corpses and mega screen TVs, maybe more than one colonist will have to carry it. I mean, who can just casually lift a big bulky CRT TV? Or an elephant body. Or a giant boulder. Basically, colonists should carry less heavy stuff and might need assistance.
The number of possible signatures there are might as well be, for practical use, infinite, yet I chose this one.

Planetfall

Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors so that, in glory and triumph, they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot.
_Carl Sagan_

AileTheAlien

Too bad this mod isn't in the base game. ^^;

b0rsuk

First, I agree that consistency would be nice. However there are a few caveats.

1. With 75, it's very easy to see how many colonist trips the items will take. If it was weights, you'd have to instead display total weights all over the place. Not impossible, but something that would need to be done diligently. In practice you would need to display two numbers over each pile - count and total weight.

2. Missing fingers reduce the Manipulation stat, which in turn reduces carrying capacity. I don't think it represents a reduction in strength. Rather, it's about volume. Pawn has less body to grasp items with.

3. If pawns should carry by weight, pigs suddenly become super haulers even though they have no hands or even especially strong jaw strength. No two ways about it. Pigs are pretty strong. The same point more generally about animals. Mufallos are STRONG, so they should be good haulers, right? I mean on their own. Elephants at least have trunks.

Jorlem

Quote from: b0rsuk on October 30, 2018, 02:17:20 PM

3. If pawns should carry by weight, pigs suddenly become super haulers even though they have no hands or even especially strong jaw strength. No two ways about it. Pigs are pretty strong. The same point more generally about animals. Mufallos are STRONG, so they should be good haulers, right? I mean on their own. Elephants at least have trunks.

I wouldn't mind needing to make carts and wheelbarrows (or dog pulled sleds for certain biomes or times of year). It would also be another good reason to pave pathways in and around the base. 

Or have stretchers to carry wounded people on, instead of just picking them up, or making them walk by themselves if they aren't downed.  Heck, maybe a stretcher could be carried by either one or two people, and if the latter, it could pause bleeding or allow for treatment while still being moved.

Planetfall

Quote from: b0rsuk on October 30, 2018, 02:17:20 PM
First, I agree that consistency would be nice. However there are a few caveats.

1. With 75, it's very easy to see how many colonist trips the items will take. If it was weights, you'd have to instead display total weights all over the place. Not impossible, but something that would need to be done diligently. In practice you would need to display two numbers over each pile - count and total weight.

2. Missing fingers reduce the Manipulation stat, which in turn reduces carrying capacity. I don't think it represents a reduction in strength. Rather, it's about volume. Pawn has less body to grasp items with.

Good point. I think Combat Extended's inventory system does a good job fixing the super pig issue. It uses two stats, weight and bulk. Though I don't know a lot about combat extended as I don't play with it much.
Anyone use CE's inventory system a lot, Could it's bulk system be integrated into Pick up and haul? Are the two mods even compatible? 
Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors so that, in glory and triumph, they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot.
_Carl Sagan_

AileTheAlien

Quote from: b0rsuk on October 30, 2018, 02:17:20 PM3. If pawns should carry by weight, pigs
Do animals count as pawns? I thought that was only used to refer to human colonists. Either way, animals are already unrealistic, because how does a dog pick up a stack of corn cobs?

Planetfall

They swallow them and then regurgitate them at the proper stockpile.
_Carl Sagan_