Thinking of buying the game... A few quesitons.

Started by Suhr, July 10, 2014, 04:40:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Suhr

Hello there. As the title states I have a few questions to ask before I decide to buy the game.

What is the rate of updates for this game? (I know its not gonna be lightning fast just curious)

Does this seem like a game that will ever be finished or does it seem like one of the many alpha games out there? (Towns)

Is the state of the game right now very playable? I watched some videos and it looked pretty good but that's different from actually playing it.

Thanks!

Pirx Danford

Welcome to the forum!

1) You can judge the rate of updates for yourself if you check here
http://rimworldwiki.com/Version

2) Oh yes it will be finished, just look at the speed of the progress. The only thing that possibly could happen is Tynan having an accident or some such.

3) Yes it is absolutely playable and due to Tynan taking great care of moddability there is already a ton of mods out there.

For me I spent more time on this game already in its Alpha stages 3, 4 and now 5 than in many finished games :-)

CountJeffrey

Pirx has answered the question brilliantly, I'll just add a couple of things.

The release of updates doesn't follow a strict roster, Tynan will release an update when he believes he has achieved the amount of additions to the game that he is happy with. However saying an update is released roughly every month. Here is a change log you can use to see how progress is going: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_rCdGYp3nbSUXFG4Ky96RZW1cJGt9g_6ANZZPOHyNsg/pub

In terms of the state of the game it is extremely playable and I recommend investing in it. I have played probably around 100+ hours of the game and I love it. There is also an incredible amount of mods to the game that can further enhance your experience as well. I will not say that this game is flawless as it is still an alpha and there is bugs to be expected every now and again but I have never experienced bugs that have ruined a game, any major bugs that occur Tynan usually jumps on it as fast as he can with the release of a hotfix.

Garen

Tynan tries to update it roughly once per month, unless if the late additions/bug testing is very necessary, he's currently making world generation, so im expecting that we're getting closer and closer to beta.

however there's plenty of mods to choose from, and the game itself is great even in it's alpha/barebones state
you can check the changelog in the general discussion sub-forum. he types all the work Ludeon have done on the game that day. so you never feel like the devs are doing nothing (towns)

Piata

Buy it.

The game is updated monthly and it's by far one of the most flawless alpha's I've seen. There are occasional bugs but the only thing RimWorld really needs is more content and better systems for managing lots colonists.