How do I prevent stuttering during garbage collection? (480MB +)

Started by Knight, October 31, 2018, 12:06:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Knight

Is there a technical way of seeing which mod is causing lag spikes? I don't want to have to manually go through each of my mods and check, surely there's a mod tool or even another mod altogether that can help here? From what I've briefly tested, no Dev setting is capable of this.

Any help? Thanks.

Knight

Okay, I've found my issue by using RuntimeGC and setting the memory update speed to 0.03 seconds. Once the RAM exceeds 480MB it resets (garbage collection) and stutters -- badly. My new problem is: how do I stop it from severely stuttering during garbage collection?

Canute

I would look if i can free more RAM.
Shutdown some background process you don't need.
Better you don't let them even start on Windows startup.

Knight

My startup programs are meticulous and I never have more than 6 background apps. Also, I've got 16GB of RAM - this is neither a hardware nor software issue. It's exclusively Rimworld.

I think I'm just gonna have to test each of my mods individually until I find a resolution. Thanks for the response though.

Canute

Do you use the 32bit Rimworld ? And why not the 64 bit one, then these memory problems shouldn't exist.

Knight

I use 64Bit but it doesn't matter, the RAM usage doesn't go above 500MB. Also, this wasn't an issue back in B19 and B18 - the 32bit versions of the game.

Canute

That is very curious.
Does it happen without RuntimeGC  too ?