The adventures of Rini - A storybook

Started by KaiserSoze, October 31, 2018, 01:38:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KaiserSoze

Hi everyone,

coming from Dwarf Fortress to Rimworld, I love ingame storytelling. I'd like to create my own story here by narrating the heroic adventures of Rini. Mind you, I have only started playing this game recently and never experienced many of the features/dangers that it offers. However, that does not stop me from choosing the highest difficulty setting to increase the chances of FUN! stuff happening. So this could go both ways - either very short or very epic  8)

Scenario settings
Vanilla Rimworld, no mods
Naked brutality, Randy savage (reload anytime - no savescums, only for keepsake)
World seed "kaiser", world size 100% (normal,normal)
Map size 275x275, starting season auto
Random site, random character

A typical day on the rig (6th of Aprimay, 5500)

The warm water was like a blessing. Rini leaned her head against the wall and took a deep breath. Her muscles relaxed as she watched the water - now blackened from all the grime - flowing down the drain. After 16 hours on the rig, this was her favourite part of the day. She scrubbed off the last pieces of dirt just in time for the water supply to be shut down. 'Save water, save the environment!' was the slogan the mining corporation used to justify daily water restrictions. The real reason was money, as usual. She was not happy about it but after 20 years on the rig, Rini knew it was not gonna change. She stepped out of the shower and turned towards the cryopods nestled in the southernmost corner of the quarters. Some fat, dirty bastard waiting in line whistled after her: "Hey sweetie. If you feel lonely tonight, you can come visit me and my friends. We know how to treat a lady. Right, boys?" His buddies chuckled and Rini felt their gaze on her naked body. Many people thought she was 'pretty' and sometimes they treated her differently because of it. Personally, she did not understand their obsession with beauty. Too early she had learned that the human body was just a tool. Back then the doctors had always told her she was saving lives, she was being brave. And she believed them at first. But it didn't take long to discover the truth. While waking up from one of the many operations, Rini overheard two doctors talking about her as 'the subject' and complaining about 'low quality organs' and 'dwindling profits'. The sudden realization that her entire life had been a lie was crushing. Even worse, now they were talking about replacing her for someone else. She thought about escaping but security around the camp was tight and all of the guards were heavily armed. Rini had always thought they were there for protection from the outside. Now she knew it was the other way around.

As she was about to lose hope, Randy sent her a great gift. Raiders! Lots of 'em! They had heard rumors about the compound and how much money it was making by selling organs. The bandit leader thought he should get his fair share of the profits. The guards thought otherwise and soon the area was littered with corpses. A grenade hit the outer wall of Rini's cell and left a big hole in it. As fires were starting to spread and the screams from the other cells grew louder, Rini took her chance and ran as fast as she could towards the treeline. When she saw the raiders emerge from behind one of the trunks, it was already too late. Something hit her head very hard and the world went black. After what had only felt like a second, she woke up in a hospital bed with her hands and feet cuffed. There were roughly 20 beds in the room with cuffed and bandaged pawns lying on them. After her wounds were healed she was told that she was now property of working for Sylvester Inc., a deep space mining company, and a shuttle brought her and some others to the mining rig. That was two decades ago. At first she was afraid the rig would be as bad as the camp but although work was hard, there were many upsides to it. Everyone was treated equally bad and the few silver that she earned each month were hers to spend. Most importantly, she was no longer alone. There were so many other people on the rig and while she was not a great talker, she spend hours just sitting in the rec room listening in. Funny how time went by. Still lost in thought, Rini arrived at her cryopod. With the nasty aftertaste of nutrient paste in her mouth, she programmed it for 7 hours and closed the lid. As her consciousness faded, she heard a loud explosion and muffled screams from the outside...

KaiserSoze

A rocky start (7th of Aprimay 5500)

The cryopod took the brunt of the damage as it crashed onto the stony ground. Rini found herself flung into the air, landing relatively softly on a patch of brambles. She stood up, dazed from the tumble, and immediately tears started rolling down her cheeks. Not from the pain - in fact she was not hurt at all - but from the incredible view that presented itself to her: over vast grasslands interspersed with tree groves and small rocky hills the flaming silhouette of the morning sun rose to the east and painted the entire landscape in a warm orange tone. It was simply too much to bear after 20 years of cold, sterile rooms in outer space. 'Is this heaven?' she asked herself.
A strong gust of cold air brought back reality and with it the latest memories from the explosion on the rig. What had happened there? How did she end up here? And where was everyone else? As much as she tried, Rini couldn't make sense of it. Instead she decided to focus on the more pressing issue at hand - survival. Crash landing in a foreign land without clothing, food or shelter, her circumstances were dire. But maybe the surrounding area could provide something useful. She took a closer look around.
Besides a small lake to the southeast, two things stood out: a giant hairy beast to the north and seemingly man-made walls to the west. Even though the beast appeared to be peaceful, munching away on the nearby grass with relish, Rini had never seen such a huge animal and decided to avoid it if possible. This left the stone building to the west to explore. It was perfectly square-shaped and although Rini circled it completely, she could not find an entrance. She approached one of the walls, touched the smooth stone surface and immediately jumped back in shock. Her face mirrored the feelings of horror and fear that overcame her the moment she touched the stone. The last time she had felt this afraid was back in the camp. Rini could not explain why but whatever was hidden behind these walls, was better left untouched.
It was still very cold outside, so the first priority was finding shelter from the wind. A small hill to the northeast offered decent protection and was large enough for a crude cave to be carved into its side. Rini started chipping away at the rocks, making decent progress due to the mining skills she had gained on the rig. It still took her a few hours to create a shelter large enough for a sleeping spot and some storage space. Mining all that stone had made her quite hungry, so she climbed the small hill and scanned the vicinity for something edible. Not far from her new home, she spied a cluster of berry bushes behind a line of oak trees. There were plenty of ripe berries on them, enough for Rini to fill her stomach. For some fucked up reason she became angry that no table was around but that thought soon passed. She then collected an extra portion for later and stored it close to the cave. The sun was high up in the sky and temperatures had gone up to a cosy 21°C. Rini decided to go for a walk and plan the next steps. Strolling through knee-high grass, she started talking to herself:
'Ok, so there are plenty of berries around. I wouldn't mind some meat but...well, beggars can't be choosers. What else? The cave, right...it's a shithole but at least I'm out of the wind. It definitely needs some more work though. WHOOAAH! That was close! Why the FUCK is steam coming out of the fucking ground here?? Damn...now, where was I? Some more work...hmmm. I should definitely close up the entrance. Who knows what kind of beasts show up at night around here and I'd rather wake up in one piece. So I need a door. Wood should be fine, so I'll just fell one of the oak trees. And while I'm at it, might as well get some planks for a proper bed. The hell I'm sleeping on the fucking floor! Ok, so door, bed...what's next? Clothes!! Probably have to make them myself. That can wait until tomorrow though, since it's only really cold at night. Alright, no time to waste!'
Rini picked out one of the bigger oak trees, cut it down and made some planks from its trunk. She had never worked on a tree before, so she was pretty clumsy doing it. None of the planks turned out straight but for a first try, she was proud of herself. She hauled the planks back to the cave and started to hammer them together. She finished construction shortly before dusk. The door squeaked every time it was moved but it was solid enough to give Rini a sense of security. The bed was of poor quality but it did not break under her weight and was definitely preferable to the cold stone floor. Last order of business was to clean out the cave from rubble and dirt. After dumping the last shovel outside, Rini looked at her day's work and nodded. She was more confident than ever that she had what it took to survive out here. But life on the rim was unpredictable and she would find out about it soon enough...

UltimateTobi

Great so far.
Keep it coming!
I was about to continue reading, but... there is no more. :P
Your generic Steam user.

Cheetah266