Best way to deal with Lancers when low on steel/plasteel/uranium?

Started by jpinard, October 31, 2018, 05:33:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jpinard

I got in a pickle and I'm getting hammered by Lancers each time they show up.  Half my pawns are missing arms and legs now and my turrets don't have the range to hit them.  Any tips?

Canute

Try to play without turrets ! :-)
Hide behind walls out of sight, then the lancer come closer.
When they are in range, shoot at them.
If you like to micromange a bit more, move out of sight again until they move, then move out and shoot.
If you got shieldbelts, you can select 1-2 pawn as target dummys to hide/move behind cover so the lancer shoot at them, while your other pawn are pretty safe.

Shurp

1) Build a perimeter around your turrets just short of your turret range.  Leave an opening.  This forces anyone who wants to attack your turrets to get within range of your turrets.  (Note that sappers will walk around and try to find somewhere else to attack your base)

2) Perimeters work to force raiders in range of whatever weapons your colonists have too.

3) Put your colonists behind walls/doors/sandbags.  Cover helps a lot.  Once you've shot out the scyther's sensors they have a hard time hitting anything.

and

4) If your colonists loose too many limbs... you can always eat them and the storyteller will send you more :)
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

jpinard

AileTheAlien

b0rsuk

RUN AWAY!!!

I had 3 fights with mechanoids in this game. In first and third colonists got shot in the heart. From now on I'm not fighting mechs before advanced plasteel helmets and armor vests.

jpinard

Quote from: b0rsuk on November 01, 2018, 05:10:33 AM
RUN AWAY!!!

I had 3 fights with mechanoids in this game. In first and third colonists got shot in the heart. From now on I'm not fighting mechs before advanced plasteel helmets and armor vests.

But won't they tear everything apart if you don't deal with them?

bbqftw

Funny thing is that charge lance will still kill with a normal flak vest protected heart shot over 70% of the time

If you let a lancer take a shot at an unshielded pawn, you made a mistake. Devise your strategies accordingly from that premise.

cultist

Use walls to force the lancers into a smaller area where they can't outrange your turrets. Do everything you can to give them other targets than your pawns (turrets or expendable animals).

Shurp

Rewind to 1.8 and put on an armor vest that *can* take a charge lance hit to the chest without killing your pawn.

(But a head shot will still brain him)
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Kirby23590

If it's a single lancer.

Bush rush everyone with their fisticuffs...

These lancers suck when in close range, but if they get to fire their charge lances, just hope for the best and if your guy get's shot & is bleeding. Put him or her out of danger.

Try to lock em down with melee even without any weapons or when the guy is using a ranged weapon. Of course you could call in your allies from the Comms console to do the work for you or use EMP Grenades if you have them.

One "happy family" in the rims...
Custom font made by Marnador.