How to deal with late game centipedes invasion?

Started by BlackHunter, November 03, 2018, 05:45:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlackHunter

Quote from: zizard on November 04, 2018, 07:17:18 AM
Anyway only fun way to deal with centipedes is to hit them before they are born: right in the wealth. Some people say wealth control is tedious. I say it's by far the lesser of two tediums compared to killing massed cents.

Sad fact, raids power depends on time too. My 10 years old colony wasnt actually rich, it was just pretty old and not poor. If u are almost poor after enought time you ll face massed centipedes too I quess.

fecalfrown

Quote from: BlackHunter on November 04, 2018, 11:45:13 AM
According rimworld wiki pure minigun DPS is 36.76 then the charge rifle's pure dps is just 13.24 and the AR dms is much worse - 10.88. Exellent-Legendary Minigun's medium accuracy is near 25% , wich means that used against x2 body size creature like centipede it ll get x2 accuracy bonus, so, it ll miss like half of its shots. 36/2 is 18, it ll deal more damage than any same quallity rifle or AR even if they never miss.

I'm not looking at the stats in game but make sure to take into account the mini-guns armor penetration. Centipedes have huge sharp damage reduction so arpen is important against them.

Shurp

Quote from: zizard on November 04, 2018, 07:17:18 AM
Minigun don't have fmr since b19. Another change supposedly is that half of missed shots disappear or something, which disproportionately affects the mini gun. Should compare legendary mini with lege lance.

So what mechanism is used now to calculate where minigun bullets wind up?  I do see that the "ForcedMissRadius" tag is missing in RangedIndustrial.xml.  But I also see that "AccuracyMedium" is 0.25, so over 75% of your shots are going somewhere else.  (Note that these are B19 stats; I don't know if it has changed in 1.0)
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

zizard

Quote from: BlackHunter on November 04, 2018, 11:56:40 AM
Sad fact, raids power depends on time too. My 10 years old colony wasnt actually rich, it was just pretty old and not poor. If u are almost poor after enought time you ll face massed centipedes too I quess.

Actually time shouldn't matter past 40 days.

Quote from: Shurp on November 04, 2018, 01:53:19 PM
So what mechanism is used now to calculate where minigun bullets wind up?  I do see that the "ForcedMissRadius" tag is missing in RangedIndustrial.xml.  But I also see that "AccuracyMedium" is 0.25, so over 75% of your shots are going somewhere else.  (Note that these are B19 stats; I don't know if it has changed in 1.0)

Guess you should read the thread on how it works har har har

BlackHunter

If it is, its cool. May I have a link to see about this time depense logic? Cause of I never saw a pure numbers.

Kirby23590

Long-range weapons such as Sniper rifles and Charge lances sound really good for fighting them. Keep in mind that they take a lot of beating until they get down... So Charge Lances are much better suited for fighting them or Sniper Rifles for keeping off the distance of their inferno launchers...

One "happy family" in the rims...
Custom font made by Marnador.

Shurp

Quote from: zizard on November 04, 2018, 02:27:24 PM
Guess you should read the thread on how it works har har har

I would love to, but I haven't seen any detail on this board of minigun effectiveness since B18.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Razzoriel

There's very few moments where one item is crucial for your success. This item is the orbital bombardment.

Cluster the centipedes, call it in, watch the fireworks. Not going to completely kill all of them 100%, but soften them up a lot.

zizard

Scavenger

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

TheMeInTeam

Quote from: Kirby23590 on November 05, 2018, 05:07:47 PM
Long-range weapons such as Sniper rifles and Charge lances sound really good for fighting them. Keep in mind that they take a lot of beating until they get down... So Charge Lances are much better suited for fighting them or Sniper Rifles for keeping off the distance of their inferno launchers...

Sniper kiting is very safe but it's also an extreme drag in terms of physically doing it.  There are numerous things that got patched out for being "optimal/degenerate and annoying to do" that were less micro intensive and dull.  Having a squad of pawns shoot something that isn't fast enough/long enough range to hit back and then move away over and over isn't exactly riveting gameplay.

When you're getting 6-10+ centipedes this takes ages, and yet remains strictly "not hard" unless they've drop-podded you.

trihero

Quote from: TheMeInTeam on November 06, 2018, 12:12:20 PM

Sniper kiting is very safe but it's also an extreme drag in terms of physically doing it.  There are numerous things that got patched out for being "optimal/degenerate and annoying to do" that were less micro intensive and dull.  Having a squad of pawns shoot something that isn't fast enough/long enough range to hit back and then move away over and over isn't exactly riveting gameplay.

When you're getting 6-10+ centipedes this takes ages, and yet remains strictly "not hard" unless they've drop-podded you.

Unfortunately sniper kiting isn't even as safe as it sounds in theory. In practice, two things happen as a result of you slowly killing centipedes:

1) your drafted colonists constantly lose food/mood and they have mental breaks (especially if psychic ship is on the map), so they will break off from your pack and wander right into centipede attacks and die

2) not all centipedes will chase your colonists, some will slowly trash your base while you sniper kite

And like you mentioned, it's not so fun when they drop pod 5 centipedes in your base.

5thHorseman

Quote from: trihero on November 06, 2018, 02:36:59 PM
In practice, two things happen as a result of you slowly killing centipedes:

3) You get sick of doing it and see how much you can push standing still (or you simply forget for a split second to move again) and suddenly your kiter is on fire or missing leg.
Toolboxifier - Soil Clarifier
I never got how pawns in the game could have such insanely bad reactions to such mundane things.
Then I came to the forums.

TheMeInTeam

Quote from: trihero on November 06, 2018, 02:36:59 PM
Quote from: TheMeInTeam on November 06, 2018, 12:12:20 PM

Unfortunately sniper kiting isn't even as safe as it sounds in theory. In practice, two things happen as a result of you slowly killing centipedes:

1) your drafted colonists constantly lose food/mood and they have mental breaks (especially if psychic ship is on the map), so they will break off from your pack and wander right into centipede attacks and die

2) not all centipedes will chase your colonists, some will slowly trash your base while you sniper kite

And like you mentioned, it's not so fun when they drop pod 5 centipedes in your base.

You can rotate the shooters so they're well fed and rested.  Yes, this makes the micromanagement even more onerous, since you have to stay out of centipede range and you'll get forced into speed 1 sometimes by default.  The whole process winds up heavily incentivizing low wealth colony optimization, exactly against what Tynan recommends...the game just isn't consistent with that recommendation.

BLACK_FR

Sadly you have to lower your wealth. In my current run I'm not even using any "hard" wealth control tactics except "don't have anything you don't need" and it's enough to keep raids very low.
Guide to mastery of the game - https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=46290
If you have idea how make merciless naked brutality run more challenging and fun - tell me