[1.0] While You're Up

Started by klou, November 03, 2018, 10:38:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

klou

Description:
"So long Bob, I'm heading back home for some food!"

"OK Jim.  Hey, while you're heading over there, mind hauling some of this wood we chopped?"

"Can't do it Bob, I'm cooking now.  More important than hauling."

"But Jim, you're literally walking from the forest back to where this wood needs to go.  Can't you just carry some of it while you're up?"

"Sorry Bob, I don't know the meaning of 'while you're up.'"

-------------------------

Before starting most jobs, your colonists will look for nearby objects that need to be hauled someplace near wherever they're already going.  If they can haul something useful without going out of their way, they'll do it, even if hauling is a low-priority task.

RimWorld colonists sometimes do this in the base game; with this mod they'll find more opportunities to do so.

Requires HugsLib.  Doesn't require a new save.
Works fine with most mods, but if you have any that add new job types, those job types may not get the "haul first" treatment.

Keep in Mind:

- Opportunistic hauling only happens at the start of a job.  If your colonist must make a long trip in the middle of a job, they'll just make the trip like they always have.

- By the time a colonist has completed an opportunistic hauling job, someone else may have started doing the work they were going to do... which means it may no longer be important for them to be wherever they are.

- After completing their hauling job, colonists will attempt to resume their previous work. If they can't for any reason, you'll get an error message in Developer Mode. As far as I can tell these are ignorable, but there's a mod setting you can use to turn it off.

- If the game runs too slowly, While You're Up has an option in mod settings to search less aggressively, using less CPU.

- There's also an option in there to make bleeding colonists not look for these jobs (so they won't search for something to haul on their way to the hospital, for instance).

Download:
Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1544626521
Github: https://github.com/kevlou/RimWorld_WhileYoureUp
(note to b18 users -- I think I fixed the file organization now for the 1.0 files.  The Github repository also contains the old b18 version in a subdirectory.)

License
MIT License (see Github)
Go ahead and use it in modpacks and so forth with credit.

sumghai

Thanks for maintaining this mod, very handy!

For GitHub, you should be using the release system to properly host each version of your mod:
- Put your mod content in a folder called While You're Up
- Put that folder in a ZIP archive called While You're Up 1_0.zip
- Go the the Releases link on your GitHub repo, draft a new release with changelog, tag it with the right game version and upload the zip file

You can do the same separately with your B18 release in a ZIP archive called While You're Up B18.zip, so that you don't need to include the old version with your current release.

(For reference, see how I hosted separate releases of RimNGE for different game versions - https://github.com/sumghai/RimNGE)

TheLunatic889

Yeah, could you upload the release version? The master version apparently throws errors in the game.

Canute

TheLunatic889,
maybe you should post an error log, because i use the master of that mod too and don't got an error related to this mod.

TheLunatic889

Canute,
Someone just told me that I should use the Release version rather than the Master ones... Due to the fact that the Master version is a Dev Version.

I can try to reinstall this mod though if there isn't any errors. I removed it while I was turning all the master versions of my mods to release.

Canute

To master or not to master that is the question ! :-)
But for this mod there is no release at github, so you need to use the master anyway.
You allways need to decide self what do you use.
Yes the master is mosttimes under development and not allways contain all nessesary files (missing assemblies) but each modder use github at his own way so there isn't a rule that works for all mods.

brightstars44

I get this error when I use the master version on github:

ReflectionTypeLoadException getting types in assembly WhileYoureUp: System.Reflection.ReflectionTypeLoadException: The classes in the module cannot be loaded.