Rabbits are for caravan driving

Started by YokoZar, November 03, 2018, 05:10:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YokoZar

Caravan speed is based on average human/animal speed.

Rabbits are fast and breed rapidly.  Bring them along with your caravans for lowest travel time.

Are there any animals that work better for this purpose?

5thHorseman

That's kinda brilliant. What kind of numbers are we talking here?

I've never been a huge fan of the average time thing, they should move as fast as their slowest member and be able to speed those slowpokes up to their fastest speed by not having them carry anything but no more. However, I'm totally willing to cheese it if the game allows and even encourages it.

I've never ever kept any rabbits. Any I got for free got slaughtered right away. But I assume they do fine just being relegated to a big grazing area like muffalo do?
Toolboxifier - Soil Clarifier
I never got how pawns in the game could have such insanely bad reactions to such mundane things.
Then I came to the forums.

Scavenger

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Canute

Now we just need a methode that new breeded rabbits got bionic legs ! :-)

Serenity

You'd think the caravan speed would depend on the slowest participant

AileTheAlien

It's totally legit - the slower caravan members are laying flat on top of a swarm of rabbits. They don't get crushed it you spread your weight out. :P

Crow_T

Quote from: AileTheAlien on November 04, 2018, 08:00:07 AM
It's totally legit - the slower caravan members are laying flat on top of a swarm of rabbits. They don't get crushed it you spread your weight out. :P

That's a hilarious mental picture :D
(regarding dead man's apparel)
"I think, at the very least, the buff should go away for jackets so long as you're wearing the former owner's skin as a shirt."
-Condaddy20

fritzgryphon

Lets see.

Colonist:  4.6 c/s
Bunny: 5.52 c/s
Bunny is 20% faster

Single colonist, no cargo.

No Bunny:  26.8 tiles/day
One Bunny:  29.1 tiles/day   (15% faster)
23 Bunnies:  34.1 tiles/day   (21.4% faster)
54 Bunnies:  34.1 tiles/day   

Four colonists, no cargo

0 bunnies: 26.3 tiles/day 
1 bunnies: 27.7 tiles/day  (+5%)
2 bunnies: 28.7 tiles/day  (+9%)
3 bunnies: 29.4 tiles/day   (+12%)
4 bunnies: 30 tiles/day   (+14%)
45 bunnies:  33.3 tiles/day  (+27%)

Not only does a hare speed up a caravan, they seem to have just as much weight in the speed calculation as a colonist.  Also, the caravan speed isn't a simple average of pawn speeds.  Fast pawns increase caravan speed more than expected.

Scavenger

Should definitely be based on slowest lol
"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Scavenger

Or maybe the rabbits are out front attached to the muffalo by ropes pulling it like reindeer pulling a sled!

Shurp

I'm going to call this a bug.  It's fair to use the average of all animals capable of hauling.  So if you have a bunch of dogs with you that are willing to wear bags or pull a sled, they should increase the speed of the caravan.  (And the slowest members are just allowed to carry less so they can keep up).

Unless you have specially trained rabbits that can pull sleds, they shouldn't improve your caravan speed.

Well, unless you have *these* rabbits in your caravan:

https://www.seattletimes.com/nation-world/north-korea-hungry-for-big-rabbits/

I swear Rimworld is really North Korea...
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

khun_poo

What about gazelle or squirrel? those are very fast and can graze too. No idea about their breed time.

Cougar and panther should be the fastest animal. They can't graze though.

Nameless

This does sound working not as intended lol.

jayman1000

:o this makes no sense but it sounds hilarious. Caravan speed should just be set according to slowest member, that's a very easy and very working way of solving it.  O if you are going to do an average, do it right or don't do it at all...

Scavenger

Quote from: khun_poo on November 05, 2018, 08:00:46 AM
What about gazelle or squirrel? those are very fast and can graze too. No idea about their breed time.

Cougar and panther should be the fastest animal. They can't graze though.

Ostrich, emu, and cassowary Yo! Mega speed and grazing.