Music

Started by Rhok, October 27, 2013, 09:11:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhok

I dont think I can put this in the cheap ideas thread...

but can Alistair whip up the instrumentals for Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around... and Marty Robbins - Big Iron.... for BGM?

or would it be possible to just drop the mp3s for those instrumentals into a folder so the storyteller can play them whenever it wants to?

British

I have my own player that I use when I play games, so I don't really see the point of having an in-game one.

Same with in-game music/score, I'm fine with having none (even when I don't listen to mine).
It makes it easier to understand and react to the different auditive cues (mining, closing a room, harvesting plants... the list goes on).

SteveAdamo

Quote from: British on October 28, 2013, 06:33:21 AM
I have my own player that I use when I play games, so I don't really see the point of having an in-game one.

i've never played my own music in games, and have always relied on the developers to provide the musical accoutrement... and given that Alistair Lindsay is slated to produce the ambiance for RW, i see one huge point in favor of having one... :D

British

Ambiance != Music...

Regarding playing music on top of games, it obviously depends on people... and on the games.
Most of the time, I can play my own music above the game's without being bothered.

SteveAdamo

Rhok

back ground music = BGM

i was wondering about instrumental versions of those two songs... just something in the background... along with the ambient sound and the various sounds for activities... i think they would both suit a western theme.... or vibe as Tynan describes it

particularly i think Johnny Cash-like instrumentals would be great for BGM... they all have a "steady as a train" quality to them... that i think would not be to much of a distraction from whats going on.... 

and Marty Robbins... well... he's just my favorite Country artist...  but it would be pretty silly to ask them to include Richard Cheese - Insane in the Brain... Watsky - IDGAF... Rush - YYZ.... or Wolfmother - Joker and the Theif

personally... when i'm in the mood... i also turn off the sound in my games and let my music player go crazy... but i listen to so many types of music... very little of which would be proper as BGM for this....  so no matter how much i wish for Richard Cheese to play while i hover my mouse over common rooms in my colony.... i'll settle for the steady pace of Cash

nomadseifer

I'm pretty sure even an instrumental cover of a copyrighted song is illegal to distribute in commercial work.
Love of an Idea is love of god - FLLW

TankaaKumawani

This might seem like an odd suggestion, but we could try exploring genres of music other than country.  After all, our colonists come from cultures that have been rebooted, mixed, and merged many times since they left behind the dun hills of Earth.

Dragula

RW is one of the few games that would do good even without music, although i won't mind something like "hell march" during combat 8).