Previous topic - Next topic

johnyoga

Hello Folks,

Two main issues I have:

1. The constant need to manually feed.
2. Gets hurt, goes unconcious & dies.

ONE.

I have food restrictions off.
There is plenty of pre-packaged and other food; it's close by.
Work Paths/Jobs are close by.
Played around with many levers, including allowing Colonists to Do Anything across the hours.
Colonists can't feed them/can't give them medicine, especially if victim goes unconcious.

TWO

Colonist gets hurt.
I have Self-Tend on with highest medical slider on
Doctoring is on for all, and I do bring that up to Priority 1 when this occurs.
Someone else can lift them up and put them in the bed and give them medicine.
Sometimes the Colonist gets a little better, but often then turns around gets worse, goes unconcious and dies.
Other Colonists don't have a selection to help them after a while, especially when sleeping/unconcious.

Thank you for any help.

Marc

Hoshi

Quote from: johnyoga on November 05, 2018, 09:37:26 AM
ONE.

Played around with many levers, including allowing Colonists to Do Anything across the hours.
Colonists can't feed them/can't give them medicine, especially if victim goes unconcious.

I'm not that great of a player myself, but let me see if I can suggest a few things.

- Did you unforbid the packaged food?
- Have you stored them in a storage area?
- Is your food restrictions set to Lavish so the colonist can eat any kind of food?
- Are your colonists drafted? If they are drafted, they won't do anything automatically

That's about all the stuff I can come up with on the food matter.

TWO

Colonist gets hurt.
Sometimes the Colonist gets a little better, but often then turns around gets worse, goes unconcious and dies.
Other Colonists don't have a selection to help them after a while, especially when sleeping/unconcious.

- Are their bed rest priorities on 1 as well? If they don't commit themselves to bed rest until the red bar under their name is gone, they might make their injuries worse and die.
- Have you ordered them to rest until healed?
- Are the injuries properly treated by a doctor until the chances of the patient dying are completely gone? If you check the health tab of the hurt colonist, you can see if he has cross shaped bandages next to his injuries, that means that they've been treated and all that's left is for them to rest until they're fully healed.
- Once again, are they drafted? Are you putting them to work too early before their wounds are completely healed? (Until their red bar is gone).

That's all I've got, I wish I could have made more suggestions. Please excuse me if I've made suggestions that are really obvious.
"All men's miseries derive from not being able to sit in a quiet room alone."

BlackSmokeDMax

If you want them to automatically self tend, you need to make sure that 2 things are true...

1) Make sure their self-tend is checked on.
2) Make sure their doctoring priority is set higher than their "Patient" or "Bed Rest". (Patient is going to bed for high priority care, Bed Rest is going to bed for low priority care - nothing to do with actual sleeping) As previous poster mentioned, if they are very low on their sleep bar, they will automatically prioritize sleeping over anything else. While you can set their sleep hours in the restrictions menu, that is more of a guideline, they are actually guided more by their sleep bar. Their are certain levels where they will exhibit certain behaviors that do also depend on their setting in the restriction menu. But suffice it to say that if they are super low on sleep, they are going to go to sleep no matter what you do short of manually micro managing them.

johnyoga

Quote from: Hoshi on November 05, 2018, 01:17:37 PM
ONE.

I'm not that great of a player myself, but let me see if I can suggest a few things.

- Did you unforbid the packaged food? -YES
- Have you stored them in a storage area? -YES
- Is your food restrictions set to Lavish so the colonist can eat any kind of food? - SET TO NO RESTRICTIONS
- Are your colonists drafted? If they are drafted, they won't do anything automatically - NO

That's about all the stuff I can come up with on the food matter.

TWO

Colonist gets hurt.

- Are their bed rest priorities on 1 as well? If they don't commit themselves to bed rest until the red bar under their name is gone, they might make their injuries worse and die. YES
- Have you ordered them to rest until healed? NOT SURE WHERE THIS IS LOCATED
- Are the injuries properly treated by a doctor until the chances of the patient dying are completely gone? If you check the health tab of the hurt colonist, you can see if he has cross shaped bandages next to his injuries, that means that they've been treated and all that's left is for them to rest until they're fully healed. I NOTICED THAT THE DOCTOR CAN ONLY HEAL UP TO A POINT, THEN HE JUST WALKS AWAY AND THEN THERE IS NO OPTION TO KEEP HEALING
- Once again, are they drafted? Are you putting them to work too early before their wounds are completely healed? (Until their red bar is gone). - NO

That's all I've got, I wish I could have made more suggestions. Please excuse me if I've made suggestions that are really obvious.

Thank you for responding, Hoshi! The only one I didn't know the answer to was the "Rest Until Healed"; I am not sure if I saw this, and don't know where that's located.

Regards,

Marc

Hoshi

Hmm, that "rest priority" may be there due to a mod that I've installed without knowing what exactly it did. I think I do remember that it's not there in the vanilla game. Perhaps you can consider adding some mods to improve your experience as well. I certainly can vouch for some QoL mods that don't feel like you're changing the game too much.

I hope I was able to resolve a few of your issues. You're welcome, friendo.
"All men's miseries derive from not being able to sit in a quiet room alone."

johnyoga

Quote from: BlackSmokeDMax on November 05, 2018, 01:34:28 PM
If you want them to automatically self tend, you need to make sure that 2 things are true...

1) Make sure their self-tend is checked on. IT'S ON
2) Make sure their doctoring priority is set higher than their "Patient" or "Bed Rest". (Patient is going to bed for high priority care, Bed Rest is going to bed for low priority care - nothing to do with actual sleeping) As previous poster mentioned, if they are very low on their sleep bar, they will automatically prioritize sleeping over anything else. While you can set their sleep hours in the restrictions menu, that is more of a guideline, they are actually guided more by their sleep bar. Their are certain levels where they will exhibit certain behaviors that do also depend on their setting in the restriction menu. But suffice it to say that if they are super low on sleep, they are going to go to sleep no matter what you do short of manually micro managing them. LET ME BE NOT SO QUICK TO ANSWER THIS ONE. I THOUGHT I DID THIS BUT WILL DEFINITELY DO THIS THE NEXT TIME THIS HAPPENS (I AM SAVE SCUMMING.)

Thank you for your comment, BlackSmoke.

It does appear that my manual feeding issue is still not answered. It's a drag to constantly feed these buggers.  ;)

Serenity

Doctoring can sometimes take micromanagement. Doctors like going to sleep when they're tried. Which is often the case after a raid.

Feeding shouldn't take any setup or intervention though

Aerial

If the unconscious pawn is not in a sleeping spot or bed, no one will tend or feed them.  If the pawn has a yellow "!" floating over them, they are not in a bed and need to be rescued (or captured) to be put in one.

johnyoga

Yes, I know...That is not the case. When ever I see some Colonist get ill, falls over somewhere, I get another Colonist to take them to their bed and tend to them with med packs.

More often than not, they simply get ill, go to their bed (either carried or go there themselves), and die, even after doctoring. As mentioned, there is a point where no one can tend to them, there is no selection to do so. And so I simply scum save, and start before they get sick...I may have had the Patient - Doctor - Bed Rest priority levels set wrong; I'll play around with the next time someone gets sick.

The feeding one is what annoys me more. Meals are within a short walk, and they simply don't bother to eat and unless I manually have them pick up a meal pack, or kill something and eat it.

Thanks for responding, Aerial.

I honestly want to tackle this, as the game is growing on me.  ;)

Regards,

Marc

Aerial

Quote from: johnyoga on November 05, 2018, 02:24:46 PM
Yes, I know...That is not the case. When ever I see some Colonist get ill, falls over somewhere, I get another Colonist to take them to their bed and tend to them with med packs.

More often than not, they simply get ill, go to their bed (either carried or go there themselves), and die, even after doctoring. As mentioned, there is a point where no one can tend to them, there is no selection to do so. And so I simply scum save, and start before they get sick...I may have had the Patient - Doctor - Bed Rest priority levels set wrong; I'll play around with the next time someone gets sick.

The feeding one is what annoys me more. Meals are within a short walk, and they simply don't bother to eat and unless I manually have them pick up a meal pack, or kill something and eat it.

Thanks for responding, Aerial.

I honestly want to tackle this, as the game is growing on me.  ;)

Regards,

Marc

Are you using any mods? 

The food behavior, in particular, doesn't sound right for the vanilla game.  The only thing I can think of to prevent them from eating when hungry would be if the pawns were restricted to an area where they can't get to the food.   Are they getting the "hungry" mood reduction and/or "starvation" health condition?

For the dying after tending issue... Two things I can think of that could be causing that: infection or disease.  However, you should be able to see both in the pawn's health panel by right clicking on the condition. 

If you haven't tried deleting and reinstalling the game, you might do that.  It's always possible some file is just messed up and you're not getting a properly functioning game.

johnyoga

Hello Folks,

After pulling my hair out for hours, I found what the issue was with the Colonists not eating the Pre-packaged meals right next to them:

Even though No Food Restrictions was set, when I dived deeper, I noticed that nothing was checked under the Food Restrictions EDIT tab. I now set it to ALLOW ALL, and, yay, no more hand-holding them to the food. Whew!

Marc

[attachment deleted due to age]

johnyoga

Thanks for this:

Are you using any mods?  YES

The food behavior, in particular, doesn't sound right for the vanilla game.  The only thing I can think of to prevent them from eating when hungry would be if the pawns were restricted to an area where they can't get to the food.   Are they getting the "hungry" mood reduction and/or "starvation" health condition? I FINALLY FIXED IT, YET THANK YOU FOR TRYING TO HELP!

For the dying after tending issue... Two things I can think of that could be causing that: infection or disease.  However, you should be able to see both in the pawn's health panel by right clicking on the condition.  THIS IS MY NEXT HURDLE TO TACKLE; I MAY HAVE HAD THE PATIENT-DOCTOR-BED REST PRIORITIES SET INCORRECTLY. I SAVE SCUMMED SO THAT PART OF THE GAME IS LONG GONE. MAYBE THE PRIORITIES WILL FIX THE ISSUE...

If you haven't tried deleting and reinstalling the game, you might do that.  It's always possible some file is just messed up and you're not getting a properly functioning game.