[1.0-1.1] RimBees - 4.0 (30/07/20)

Started by SargBjornson, November 06, 2018, 06:12:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SargBjornson

RimBees

Welcome to RimBees! One day I was thinking, "what does RimWorld need?" It needs bees, of course! Not just a simple mod where you can get some bees, and they produce some honey, and that's it. No, I mean a full fledged mod in the spirit of modded Minecraft, where you can crossbreed different species of bees to get all sorts of bizarre creations (I'm seeing a trend in my mods, uh...) that produce all kinds of resources so that, with a certain amount of work, you can run a colony entirely on bees.

This mod draws inspiration from the Forestry mod for Minecraft, as well as from the Frackin Universe mod for Starbound, but tries to be also adapted to the characteristics of RimWorld.

Features
- Beekeeping: find wild bees in all biomes, build beehouses to put them to work! A single beehouse won't do much, so prepare to build a few. Are you in an extreme biome? There are low-efficiency climatized beehouses available for you until you can get bees that modify allowed temperatures!

- Bee breeding: Mix two breeds of bees in a beehouse, and use a brood chamber to multiply them, and an hybridization chamber to get new species (more than 30)!

- Honey making: Centrifuge the combs produced by the bees to get honey and wax.

- Cooking and building: honey can be used as an ingredient in cooking, and wax can be used as a building material.

- Mead brewing: turn honey into mead to make your colonists happy (and drunk)

- Wax lighting: candles are a quaint and cheap way to light your base

- Resource gathering: many of the bees produce combs with more things than honey and wax. Will you find the Luciferium-producing bees?

- Research: discover new exciting bee combinations

- Pollination: plan your growing zones around your beehives and increase your crop production

Awesome animation by Chicken Plucker

Wiki
All mod info available at https://rimworld-bestiary.fandom.com/wiki/RimBees

Issues
Balance is always a work in progress!

Notes
Most of the mod is pretty well explained in the item and research project descriptions. I have also created a simple crossbreeding chart to help you get started!

Plans for the future
More bees!

License
I honestly don't care, use this as you wish. I even included the source for the c# part.

Download
Current release, updated for Rimworld Release version, can be downloaded at:
GitHub
Steam Workshop

Compatibility
Right now, the mod shouldn't give problems. In the future, I'll add patches to make new bee species that give modded materials

Credit

Fancy Food Items by KanaX: https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/fancy-food-items.44398/
Wax floor textures from the Apini Mod: https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=31076.0
Thanks to TheSevenSins for helping on the 2.0 update

Changelog
v4.0: Complete retexture of the mod from the gound up (30/07/20)
v3.0: Updated to RimWorld 1.1 (19/02/20)
v2.032: Added mushroom tree hives for the Mycotic Forest in Alpha Biomes (10/11/19)
v2.031: Fixed bug with mead fermenting barrels (4/11/19)
v2.01: Added properties to honeys so they transfer their special stats to meads and other food. Fixed adding chambers to beehouse blueprints. Added an option to automatically add a growing zone around beehouses (29/09/19)
v2.0: Updated everything. Beekeeping work type, queueing of bee jobs, externalization of most code on XML files, "extract from any comb" recipe, added 8 new bees, new combs, new honeys, new waxes. Seriously, check the changelog on GitHub because I almost rewrote the entire mod (26/09/19)
v1.01: Bugfixes. Added rotatable workbenches (12/11/18)
v1.0: Release version (06/11/18)

Ruisuki

Hey sargi saw you liked @Canute's idea

Quote from: canuteHi sarg,
do you want expand the bee story so it affect the production/growing of plants too ?
You know without insect's the most plant's wouldn't get fruits.
So i think without you bee's around, the harvest yield should be reduced to 80%.
With your bee's it could be raised to 120%.
His plan was for bees to modify the harvest not the soil fertility what do you think?

Mosser

Hey sarg, great mod, I really love it, but... could you please add a way to get honey without electricity? I started a tribal game and noticed that there is no way to process honeycombs

publicuser

Naji

Thanks for the awesome mod.
Quote from: publicuser on November 07, 2018, 05:56:42 AM
Can you add some ingame pictures?

There is a steam link up there, click on it, it will take you to a steam page. There, one can find photos, which are take ingame from the mod.

TacataX

How do I get Bio interface components?

Prismaa

Quote from: TacataX on November 08, 2018, 06:06:33 PM
How do I get Bio interface components?
Technological Bees makes combs that gives them

DiamondBorne

Please resurrect the Apini and integrate with this mod too, I missed all the beeings in Rimworld.  :'(

sidfu

hopely u make them need flowers around them like the other honey mod.

SargBjornson

Update available!

v1.01:

Added rotatable graphics for Beekeeping workbench, Honey Centrifuge and Advanced Centrifuge
Added a 30% penalty to the Honey Centrifuge if electricity is not present, so basic bees can be used in tribal starts (hybridization will still need electricity)
Fixed advanced beehive short circuits in rain
Fixed adaptive honey label mistakenly calling it blue honey
Fixed wild beehives so they get destroyed if ruined by temperature, just like bees are

Quote from: sidfu on November 11, 2018, 10:07:22 PM
hopely u make them need flowers around them like the other honey mod.

Some of them need specific flowers or materials, but most have enough with wild flowers that are in the map

Quote from: DiamondBorne on November 10, 2018, 01:17:19 AM
Please resurrect the Apini and integrate with this mod too, I missed all the beeings in Rimworld.  :'(

AFAIK they are working on it, else I would have offered to help

Quote from: Ruisuki on November 06, 2018, 07:00:06 PM
His plan was for bees to modify the harvest not the soil fertility what do you think?

I looked into Canute's idea, but it would require Harmony transpilers to do it OK, and I just... ugh...

sidfu

what u probaly want to modify is fertilty senstivity. u can probay look how dubswise modifies soil fertily in his mod to see how to set it up easily

Mosser

So... it seems like to make the honey meals the pawn needs to be assigned to crafting... should it be like that or is it a mod conflict?

sidfu

not conflict its cause he put them on a bench. u cant have 2 differnt job types on 1 bench. if a bench say has cooking and crafting jobs then a crafter can cook and a cook can craft even if those jobs disabled.

u need to nerf tfhe meal values they way to op. .9 food for a normal meal is way to much.

sophiasong

Love the mod! As soon as we found it, my gf and I set out to make an entirely bee-based colony.

A QoL thing: none of the structures in the "Bees" architect menu can be uninstalled/reinstalled. I just modified buildings.xml to make everything minifiable and I vastly prefer it.

Bug report:
"Insert drone" and "insert queen" jobs (beehouse structure)

Expected behavior:
Job assigned to a pawn based on a list of pawns that have permission to do the job (insert drone, insert queen).

Observed behavior:
Job is assigned to the first first pawn on the list of colonists. The job assignment cancels that pawn's current task and prioritizes the "insert drone" or "insert queen" job.

Steps to reproduce:
1. Build a beehouse
2. Have at least one of any type of drone or queen bee
3. Select beehouse
4. Click "insert drone" and select an available drone; click "insert queen" and select an available queen

Comments:
It seems like the code looks for the first pawn that can use manipulation and assigns the job to that pawn. Also, it seems there is no associated permission for the "insert drone" and "insert queen" jobs (e.g., "haul general" or "cut stone blocks from chunks"), so there is no interaction with pawn settings on the "work" tab.

Rambus200

Quote from: sophiasong on November 18, 2018, 05:59:03 PM
Love the mod! As soon as we found it, my gf and I set out to make an entirely bee-based colony.

A QoL thing: none of the structures in the "Bees" architect menu can be uninstalled/reinstalled. I just modified buildings.xml to make everything minifiable and I vastly prefer it.

Bug report:
"Insert drone" and "insert queen" jobs (beehouse structure)

Expected behavior:
Job assigned to a pawn based on a list of pawns that have permission to do the job (insert drone, insert queen).

Observed behavior:
Job is assigned to the first first pawn on the list of colonists. The job assignment cancels that pawn's current task and prioritizes the "insert drone" or "insert queen" job.

Steps to reproduce:
1. Build a beehouse
2. Have at least one of any type of drone or queen bee
3. Select beehouse
4. Click "insert drone" and select an available drone; click "insert queen" and select an available queen

Comments:
It seems like the code looks for the first pawn that can use manipulation and assigns the job to that pawn. Also, it seems there is no associated permission for the "insert drone" and "insert queen" jobs (e.g., "haul general" or "cut stone blocks from chunks"), so there is no interaction with pawn settings on the "work" tab.

I am having the same issue as above. Especially when you have multiple bee houses and you are trying to insert multiple bees into each house. It just ignores the last insert bee( which becomes really annoying when you got 20 houses to insert bees into) and the first colonist only inserts bees from the house that had the latest request for bee insertion.