trees on ice sheet

Started by makapse, November 06, 2018, 01:41:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

makapse

is it possible to farm trees indoor on a ice sheet map? I have already researched tree sowing and my growing area doesnt add any trees and the land caravans are nearly not there. So am i restricted to only the space merchants for all my wood needs? there is 1 town 2 days travel away from me so i might get some wood there but its also on an ice sheet. I am playing with the map set on the coldest setting

AileTheAlien

I saw somewhere in a different thread, that you can create an indoors area, but remove the roof on the tiles you want to grow trees on. Then it counts as having enough roof for the heaters to work, but still lets you grow trees. I've never tried it myself, although it might be useful in the ice-sheet game I'm playing right now.

TheMeInTeam

Quote from: AileTheAlien on November 06, 2018, 01:48:52 PM
I saw somewhere in a different thread, that you can create an indoors area, but remove the roof on the tiles you want to grow trees on. Then it counts as having enough roof for the heaters to work, but still lets you grow trees. I've never tried it myself, although it might be useful in the ice-sheet game I'm playing right now.

This should work, but it's not exactly a nice/efficient way to get wood.  Still, if you can't buy any it will give you something.

makapse

Strange, but i am still not able to select plant growth

[attachment deleted due to age]

TheMeInTeam

Really?  They dropped trees from the list entirely based on biome?  That's pretty arbitrary/lame.  It's not like you can grow dandelions on ice either.

BLACK_FR

Are you sure you researched them?
Guide to mastery of the game - https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=46290
If you have idea how make merciless naked brutality run more challenging and fun - tell me

Shurp

Good point, planting trees now requires research.

(Who knew that squirrels were an advanced intelligence race that has completed this?)
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

makapse

If by research, you mean tree sowing, then yes, its been researched. Maybe its my mods. Can you tell me which file to look at to check that.

Yoshida Keiji

You should be able to finish Electricity before you run out of wood. It's one of the perks of playing Ice Sheet. Build everything with steel first until you can get stone blocks, or just cave in and live with a single campfire, or hide inside the Ancient Shrine and get into cryptosleep.

...or...make a room around a steam geyser...and you won't need wood anymore...

https://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/Ice_Sheet_Guide

makapse

I found out why i am unable to have trees. they have indeed been removed from the biome defs.

On a unrelated note, i am having a problem with my fermenting barrels. I am using the [SYR] Blueberries mod and i am unable to build the universal fermenter as its not showing up in the list. Upon building the normal fermentor, it is disappearing with the following error. I have the mod as the last in the list of all my mods and i am not getting any mod conflicts on startup

Exception in JobDriver tick for pawn Dems driver=_JobDriver_ConstructFinishFrame (toilIndex=1) driver.job=(FinishFrame (Job_175465) A=Thing_Frame_UniversalFermenter127454) lastJobGiver=RimWorld.JobGiver_Work
System.ArgumentNullException: Argument cannot be null.
Parameter name: type
  at System.Activator.CheckType (System.Type type) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Activator.CreateInstance (System.Type type, Boolean nonPublic) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Activator.CreateInstance (System.Type type) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Verse.ThingMaker.MakeThing (Verse.ThingDef def, Verse.ThingDef stuff) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at RimWorld.Frame.CompleteConstruction (Verse.Pawn worker) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at RimWorld.JobDriver_ConstructFinishFrame+<MakeNewToils>c__Iterator0+<MakeNewToils>c__AnonStorey1.<>m__1 () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Verse.AI.JobDriver.DriverTick () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
Verse.Log:Error(String, Boolean)
Verse.AI.JobUtility:TryStartErrorRecoverJob(Pawn, String, Exception, JobDriver)
Verse.AI.JobDriver:DriverTick()
Verse.AI.Pawn_JobTracker:JobTrackerTick()
Verse.Pawn:Tick_Patch1(Object)
Verse.TickList:Tick()
Verse.TickManager:DoSingleTick()
Verse.TickManager:TickManagerUpdate()
Verse.Game:UpdatePlay()
Verse.Root_Play:Update()

TheWrongColonist

I'm using ResearchPal but if you hover the "Tree Sowing" research you get this popup.  :(

Scavenger

I remember reading in the patch notes that Tynan made it so you can only grow trees that are native to a biome there. I don't remember why he did that, but it seems to have the side effect of making it impossible to grow there because no trees grow there naturally. My best guess as to why you can't grow them anyways.
"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

AileTheAlien

Sounds like something for a mod - plants that grow in hydropaunics, and give a small amount of wood, for bases in places where trees can't be grown.

Canute

Some mod's add Bamboo for hydroponic or fields.
Mosttimes you can use them a wood replacement, or some mod allow them to convert them into wood (Vegetable garden i think).

BlackSmokeDMax

Quote from: Scavenger on November 08, 2018, 09:24:43 PM
I remember reading in the patch notes that Tynan made it so you can only grow trees that are native to a biome there. I don't remember why he did that, but it seems to have the side effect of making it impossible to grow there because no trees grow there naturally. My best guess as to why you can't grow them anyways.

Besides the growing on only their own biome thing, is there even an farm-able ground on an ice sheet? Isn't ice sheet by definition a sheet of ice? Or are we actually talking about the other type of very cold biome and accidentally called it an ice sheet?