Im using torches in my hay barn to avoid fires

Started by jayman1000, November 06, 2018, 04:14:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jayman1000

Because using an electric standing lamp is a serious fire hazard due to the risk of electrical faults 8)

Thane

So what you are saying is that torches should be an even worse fire risk. ;)
It is regular practice to install peg legs and dentures on anyone you don't like around here. Think about that.

Shurp

You might want to replace the heater with a campfire just to be *really* sure nothing catches fire.

LOL!
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

5thHorseman

I just don't light my barn. Creatures don't care and people aren't in there enough for it to matter.

And I don't even keep hay.
Toolboxifier - Soil Clarifier
I never got how pawns in the game could have such insanely bad reactions to such mundane things.
Then I came to the forums.

AileTheAlien

I'm surprised torches don't start fires; I'm pretty sure that campfires do. :S

Limdood

Campfires and torches do not start fires....cannot start fires (they'll never "catch" or short out or anything).

That heater is safe too...the wire from it clearly exits the building, and only conduits can catch fire...so unless a drop pod crashes in right on top of it, failing to destroy it, during the rain, which then immediately shorts the heater....it'll be fine.

But yeah, lighting barns is unnecessary.  Heating them is unnecessary unless the temperature will drop to the danger zone for animals (they don't care if they sleep in cold).

This picture also makes me glad i use stack size mods to fit thousands of hay in 1 tile.

Kirby23590

Yup seems fine, Don't mind if i do... *Grabs some Molotov cocktails*

MENTAL BREAK: Fire starting spree

One "happy family" in the rims...
Custom font made by Marnador.

jayman1000

Quote from: Shurp on November 06, 2018, 06:48:12 PM
You might want to replace the heater with a campfire just to be *really* sure nothing catches fire.

LOL!

I actually didn't think of that, so it's kinda lol ;). But as someone mentioned here it's only the wire that can fault and that is outside the building. I guess I could just put a standing lamp in the same position and also make that fireproof, but then the whole room wouldn't be lit. I need it in the middle to light up everything.

jayman1000

Quote from: Limdood on November 06, 2018, 10:33:24 PM
Campfires and torches do not start fires....cannot start fires (they'll never "catch" or short out or anything).

That heater is safe too...the wire from it clearly exits the building, and only conduits can catch fire...so unless a drop pod crashes in right on top of it, failing to destroy it, during the rain, which then immediately shorts the heater....it'll be fine.

But yeah, lighting barns is unnecessary.  Heating them is unnecessary unless the temperature will drop to the danger zone for animals (they don't care if they sleep in cold).

This picture also makes me glad i use stack size mods to fit thousands of hay in 1 tile.

I think I would feel using mod to stack hay would be a bit cheating (not saying you're cheating, everyone has their preference for gameplay). I like having to figure out where/how to store my hay so it don't rot during so there is enough for my animals. This barn is the solution. The heater and the coolers are set to 1 degree. Animals don't freeze during cold snap (it can get very cold at times, even with this barn the pigs and turkeys still develop the minor hypothermia thing, the "shrivering" part, but it doesn't get worse because they go into the barn for a while. Without the barn, during cold snap the hypotermia gets worse for them. So I think I prevent my pregnant pigs from having an unwanted abortion, fertilized eggs wont get ruined (either by frost or heat) and my hay will stay fresh decreasing the need for hay fields. I know that lighting the barn is not necessary, but in real life I think it would. The room would be too dark to work in. How will you find the eggs in the hay if it is dark as night? Also it helps pawns avoid the darkness debuff when they go in there.

It's not only in the barn btw, I have torches out in my fields too so the peasants.. I mean pawns, can work night shift too.

jayman1000

Quote from: Thane on November 06, 2018, 06:09:26 PM
So what you are saying is that torches should be an even worse fire risk. ;)

Yeah definately lol, it should be a huge fire risk in fact, it does bug me that it's totally fireproof.

AileTheAlien

Quote from: Limdood on November 06, 2018, 10:33:24 PM
Campfires and torches do not start fires
Really? I could have sworn at some point in the last couple months before release, that I had fires start in rooms that had flammables beside campfires...

Yoshida Keiji

Ummm....why don't birds leave their eggs "inside" the animal beds?

Disclaimer: I have never risen a chicken coop myself in real life...but every depiction I have seen on TV movies and documentaries...eggs are not just laying around on the floor...

cultist

Quote from: Yoshida Keiji on November 07, 2018, 08:25:19 AM
Disclaimer: I have never risen a chicken coop myself in real life...but every depiction I have seen on TV movies and documentaries...eggs are not just laying around on the floor...

Depends how you keep your chickens.
Actual free-range hens usually have little hay-filled boxes designed for them laying eggs and laying on them without hatching them (I don't know the proper english term for this) but it's up to the hen whether to use them. Often you'll find eggs all over the place because some hens might not like the boxes, some might be afraid of predators so they lay them where they're hard to find and some hens are just plain weird and refuse to lay eggs anywhere except some weird spot where eggs definitly don't belong.

It's obviously different with a factory farm.

Source: Mom kept chickens for over a decade. They're a lot more fun animals than you might think. They're also omnivores and indulge in cannibalism even when they have plenty of other food.

walleras

I don't know man, you might wanna douse them in gasoline just in case so that the hay will be wet and not catch fire.

Shurp

And definitely don't put your hay in steel barrels, those things will BURN!
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.