Boomrats keep blowing themselves up in my traps.

Started by jayman1000, November 07, 2018, 04:16:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jayman1000

Calm animals should not set off traps, but these boomrats keep on setting off the traps blowing themselves up because they die. Is this a bug?

Jaxxa

Canute

Maybe they are clever then his pawn who do hit their own traps too ! :-)

jayman1000

Quote from: Jaxxa on November 07, 2018, 04:55:53 PM
Why would calm animals not set off traps?

The tooltip for the traps says "Animals can sense these when calm". I just assumed that this meant calm animals would avoid them. But I find it interesting that it is always the boomrats that go into them. Or maybe I just only notices with them because of the BOOM...?

jayman1000

Quote from: Canute on November 07, 2018, 05:07:02 PM
Maybe they are clever then his pawn who do hit their own traps too ! :-)

Not sure I understand, the boomrats go into the traps and die, that is not so clever? But are you saying pawns can get hit by their own traps?

Nameless

Wild animals are definitely WAAAAAAAY MORE prone to setting off traps than before. Which is annoying since now traps just straight up eats your resources.

jayman1000

Quote from: Nameless on November 07, 2018, 05:37:06 PM
Wild animals are definitely WAAAAAAAY MORE prone to setting off traps than before. Which is annoying since now traps just straight up eats your resources.

Im pretty sure I have only seen boomrats do it which made me kind of wonder what is going on

Nameless

Rabbits and Rats and Squirrels keep triggering my traps its super annoying especially in winter when all the animals tries to come inside my base to eat that one bush for some reason when there are few thousands outside.

5thHorseman

Quote from: jayman1000 on November 07, 2018, 04:16:06 PM
Calm animals should not set off traps, but these boomrats keep on setting off the traps blowing themselves up because they die. Is this a bug?

No. They tried it many ways in the beta and decided on this so it is not a bug.

Quote from: jayman1000 on November 07, 2018, 05:10:04 PM
The tooltip for the traps says "Animals can sense these when calm".
Hm that sounds like the bug. Though animals don't ALWAYS set off the traps, as you have likely noticed the boomrats don't always die on your first trap but sometimes several in. Maybe it should say "Animals sense these when calm, at least most of the time" or something.

Quote from: jayman1000 on November 07, 2018, 05:11:57 PM
But are you saying pawns can get hit by their own traps?
Yes they can, and can die instantly from them. They will avoid traps if they can but will walk over them if they must and there is a slight chance (I've heard 0.2% but have no proof of that) they will trigger them when walking over them. Note, they also have this chance when moving a trap, but they do not have a chance when uninstalling or installing a trap, which annoys me to no end.
Quote from: Nameless on November 07, 2018, 08:46:12 PM
Rabbits and Rats and Squirrels keep triggering my traps its super annoying especially in winter when all the animals tries to come inside my base to eat that one bush for some reason when there are few thousands outside.
Put a door at the end of your trap corridor and only open it when being raided.
Toolboxifier - Soil Clarifier
I never got how pawns in the game could have such insanely bad reactions to such mundane things.
Then I came to the forums.

jayman1000

Quote from: 5thHorseman on November 07, 2018, 10:04:23 PM
Quote from: jayman1000 on November 07, 2018, 05:11:57 PM
But are you saying pawns can get hit by their own traps?
Yes they can, and can die instantly from them. They will avoid traps if they can but will walk over them if they must and there is a slight chance (I've heard 0.2% but have no proof of that) they will trigger them when walking over them.

Not sure I like that mechanic, mostly due to the sometimes wonky pathing the pawns take. They'll venture over traps even there is other routes, so I would wish I could disable this. Don't want to lose a pawn simply because of stupid pathing.

fritzgryphon

I haven't had a colonist or tame animal walk on a trap in a long time.  Even wildlife will weave between them.

But there must be a clear path around each trap.  If a boomrat wants your crops, and the only nearby path goes over a trap, it will take it.

jayman1000

Quote from: fritzgryphon on November 08, 2018, 11:40:16 AM
I haven't had a colonist or tame animal walk on a trap in a long time.  Even wildlife will weave between them.

But there must be a clear path around each trap.  If a boomrat wants your crops, and the only nearby path goes over a trap, it will take it.

It actually happened for me now. There is clearly a clear path Rissa could have taken a few tiles south of there; by going past it diagonally. Yet, just like the boomrat (actually the same trap), she walks over it :/

I guess the solution for now is not to block any holes with in walls with traps even if there are paths open nearby. They need to be like the trap is place in the bottom of the picture.

fritzgryphon

The south path is blocked, too.  Pawns can't move diagonally if they are confined by walls.

Anyway, I just put stone doors next to these chokepoints.  Colonists always use the doors.

E.  or delete one wall cell in each chokepoint, and replace it with a chunk or something.  Colonists and passive animals will opt to crawl over the chunk, rather than walk over the trap.  Raiders and manhunters will choose to avoid the chunk, and walk over the trap.

Scavenger

Quote from: jayman1000 on November 07, 2018, 05:10:04 PM
Quote from: Jaxxa on November 07, 2018, 04:55:53 PM
Why would calm animals not set off traps?

The tooltip for the traps says "Animals can sense these when calm". I just assumed that this meant calm animals would avoid them. But I find it interesting that it is always the boomrats that go into them. Or maybe I just only notices with them because of the BOOM...?

That's their secret Jayman. They're always angry.
"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Scavenger

Quote from: jayman1000 on November 08, 2018, 11:52:29 AM
Quote from: fritzgryphon on November 08, 2018, 11:40:16 AM

It actually happened for me now. There is clearly a clear path Rissa could have taken a few tiles south of there; by going past it diagonally. Yet, just like the boomrat (actually the same trap), she walks over it :/

I guess the solution for now is not to block any holes with in walls with traps even if there are paths open nearby. They need to be like the trap is place in the bottom of the picture.

I think the diagonal path is just as bad.. Need a real 1 tile gap. They always go around when possible for me.
"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde