Am I even meant to switch outfits...

Started by b0rsuk, October 01, 2018, 04:56:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

B@R5uk

Quote from: Yoshida Keiji on October 06, 2018, 05:55:25 AM...I may have brand new pieces around...but pawns will still walk around with the mood rebuff...
There is a slider in the settings for each and every outfit in the assignment tab which defines range of dilapidation of clothes colonists are allowed to use. You can set it to 91%-100% range and make your craftsmen toil day and night for the rest of the colony so you can sell second hand clothes as new just before they start to lose price. At least I always do this, as long as I have enough materials.

Also you can manually strip pawn of tattered piece of clothes and, I'm sure, he/she sets off for the best one at once.

Shurp

Quote from: B@R5uk on October 09, 2018, 07:37:54 AM
Also you can manually strip pawn of tattered piece of clothes and, I'm sure, he/she sets off for the best one at once.

Especially if you forbid it so the fool doesn't try to put it back on.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Yoshida Keiji

I tried that long ago but I think the slider method is deficient. One can approach the game as another FarmVille (which is how RW v1.0 is looking alike), or from a tactic and strategy game. If I set the slider to 50%, pawns may wear their clothing off and remain with less gear, which means that if a raid happens, they will have more vulnerabilities. I pretty much prefer them walking with mood debuff than with weaker defense.

I just need characters to react to their clothing need as fast as eating and resting. That is what solves the problem, and of course I want to assign pawns ownership, because between a cloth bottom-down shirt and a devil strand bottom-down shirt, the second one should be used by a combat oriented pawn and not by an IoV...

Alenerel

I liked when we had armor vest only... Just normal outfit + Armor vest + Advanced helmet.

Maverik

Thats the reason of why I only use the full body armors..wooden plate armor on the very early game, then steel or even plasteel if I feel rich enough, and in the late game the marine armor, you just have to switch to 1 piece of armor when the raids come..nothing more

ZaPhobos

Hell I just have all my dedicated soldiers decked out in full flak gear if I can afford it, or just a flak vest and duster or other biome appropriate gear if I'm strapped for resources.  Workers can run around with shield belts or smokepop belts but otherwise they all have cowboy hats so they get along better and whatever suits the temperature in the biome.  Other than that, I don't have anybody swap outfits unless it's to upgrade their gear to powered armor.  If I can afford it everyone will wear at least the vest.  Lancers are going to punch straight through and hit vital organs either way, but it's the constant raiders that vests will really protect against.

Snafu_RW

Quote from: Yoshida Keiji on October 09, 2018, 11:19:57 PM
I tried that long ago but I think the slider method is deficient. [...] If I set the slider to 50%, pawns may wear their clothing off and remain with less gear, which means that if a raid happens, they will have more vulnerabilities. I pretty much prefer them walking with mood debuff than with weaker defense.
ATM it seems to me that pawns will always favour the most expensive (wealth) clothes, not necessarily the most useful (to them). Setting aside armour for the moment, watch how vanilla pawns with no restrictions react to heatwave/cold snap incidents: they'll prefer an expensive tuque over a cheap cowboy hat despite the temp difference, even if theyre already suffering from heatstroke (vice-versa applies ofc). With armour (or clothing that doubles as armour) the same applies: the pawn will prefer the most expensive item over the one that gives better protection :(

Adjusting the equipment slider helps to a degree (set to 58%+ to avoid 'tattered/tainted clothing' debuff & pawns constantly swapping 51% clothes), but still doesn't change their above basic behaviour :( It also doesn't affect their protection: if 45% power (sorry, marine) armour provides better protection than a 75% flak jacket, WEAR THE P ARMOUR!

I like the idea of wardrobes in bedrooms having some function other than being decorative; I fully endorse the idea of them being limited to 1 outfit (to prevent wealth spiral) & the necessity of the 'owning' pawn (prolly set to their bed status, altho this may be a headache if using barracks) being nearby
My basic ideal is this: a pawn goes to sleep in their bedroom. They wake up, & are directed as necessary as to which outfit they should wear for the day. This apparel status continues until <player> switches it for whatever reason, whereupon pawn returns to their bedroom's wardrobe & changes apparel (or changes to <player>-forced apparel as directed)

In addition to the above, environmental protection should be taken into account. So, if pawn is wandering around naturally (ie unforced apparel, job, etc) they should wear the best clothing appropriate to their environment: no more idiots dying from heatstroke 'cos they refused to replace a devilstrand tuque with a llama-wool cowboy hat, simply because the former is more expensive!
Dom 8-)

jayman1000

I agree that it feels excessive. I have a HUGE unheated/uncooled ugly barn with apparel stacked up in there. Im not sure I would want it changed however, I like the challenge of it.