Swarms of tamed animals for defense purposes

Started by Muffalo_Lord, November 07, 2018, 04:50:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Muffalo_Lord

I've recently started taming a lot of muffalo for their delicious wool and milk, and realized they might do well as a rudimentary fighting force. They can be trained to have a master, so in a recent infestation they all rushed to the aid of my master trainer and served as damage absorbers as well as hoof-dispensers. I was wondering if anyone else has had good success with animal swarms. Obviously muffalos aren't the best for combat, but they're so easy to train that it's easy to build up numbers and obedience.

makapse

I havent tried it lately but back when taming was released, chickens were the ultimate animals. there reproductive rate is so high that you could afford to send hundreds of them at the attackers while staying back and killing them. If 50 odd die, then you will get them next season and have all the  meat too. same for squirrels. fast breeder and super fast animal that is small size so pawns are more likely to miss. if you dont want the animals to die then elephants and thrombos make mice meat shield. Not sure if its been patched out now, but there was a small flat chance that you could tame the thrombo by event while you are tending to it from all the wounds you cause to bring it down.

Muffalo_Lord

I wish I could tame a thrumbo or megasloth, but it's apparently impossible, not to mention dangerous. Other than what you mentioned, is there any way of getting those two to be tameable?

Scavenger

Animal swarms were always a thing, boers were the best. Easy to tame, find their own food, omnivore, decent damage, tankyness, and speed, breed pretty quickly, able to haul, had a lot going for them. But animal swarms or changed to require upkeep, so hordes can be hard to manage. You need several Tamers just to keep them going.
"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde