New taming mechanics.

Started by Scavenger, November 08, 2018, 09:18:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scavenger

I know taming mechanics were changed to stop hordes being as effective. But they have the unfortunate side effect of making it impossible to tame hard to tame things anymore.. better animals are vastly more likely to attack you on failed tame, and once tamed, they just revert to  wild because they are too hard to upkeep... I think it ruined that part of the game :/ even if one self tames, it will just go wild.

Also, did training difficulty used to be affected by wildness also? Or is that new?
"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Yoshida Keiji

I have an 100% dislike of the new mechanics while being a player who hardly used animals in over 5.000 in game hours counted by Steam.

The new system was implemented aiming to reduce abuse by some players who liked cheesy games.  But honestly, it ended up affecting no -animal users alike.

The bigger problems I encounter is that in the past, birds and small rodents were the go to at the tribal starts since those had the lowest skill requirements for interaction, but are in v1.0 too high now to help character skills to grow. Anybody who doesn't reroll the starting pawns like myself and play with the first appearing and gets 5   colonists of which none has more than skill level 3 is going to lose the hard to train initial 3 pets.

I will never understand how an animal can lose "recognition" of their master, there are countless videos online of animals rushing to reunite with their owner who haven't seen in years, and not only dogs but any kind of animal species remembering the person.

To be honest, I only barely used animals on Temperate Forest biome and Tropical Forest as any other with cold climates made feeding upkeep extremely ridiculous to the point that a colony would feel like just playing "zoo keeper".

Also, while on topic, I will never understand why pets don't remember their master's room and go sleep at random locations. My own dogs and cats always sleep with me and not elsewhere.

In my opinion, it should be completely reverted to previous version.

As well as upgrade their AI to "NOT" enter prisons while captives are in berserk , attack on top of the door and allow them to escape.

Another thing is that playing with pets should also become another joy mechanism instead of just nuzzled buff.

I... really don't understand how v1.0 got out while the game still has soooooo many problems unsolved...

jayman1000

I have a lot of pigs and muffallo, I dont feel I have trouble keeping them tame (pigs are amazing at hauling btw). I also have a Thrumbo that I was very lucky to tame in my first attempt at ever trying to tame a Thrumbo. Don't have problems keeping it tame either. I do have several pawns with handle skill 12,13,14 and 15, which is fairly high now I think. But they have only got that higher skill because of all the animals they have been training for a good while.

Scavenger

Quote from: Yoshida Keiji on November 09, 2018, 04:35:54 AM
I have an 100% dislike of the new mechanics while being a player who hardly used animals in over 5.000 in game hours counted by Steam.

The new system was implemented aiming to reduce abuse by some players who liked cheesy games.  But honestly, it ended up affecting no -animal users alike.

The bigger problems I encounter is that in the past, birds and small rodents were the go to at the tribal starts since those had the lowest skill requirements for interaction, but are in v1.0 too high now to help character skills to grow. Anybody who doesn't reroll the starting pawns like myself and play with the first appearing and gets 5   colonists of which none has more than skill level 3 is going to lose the hard to train initial 3 pets.

I will never understand how an animal can lose "recognition" of their master, there are countless videos online of animals rushing to reunite with their owner who haven't seen in years, and not only dogs but any kind of animal species remembering the person.

To be honest, I only barely used animals on Temperate Forest biome and Tropical Forest as any other with cold climates made feeding upkeep extremely ridiculous to the point that a colony would feel like just playing "zoo keeper".

Also, while on topic, I will never understand why pets don't remember their master's room and go sleep at random locations. My own dogs and cats always sleep with me and not elsewhere.

In my opinion, it should be completely reverted to previous version.

As well as upgrade their AI to "NOT" enter prisons while captives are in berserk , attack on top of the door and allow them to escape.

Another thing is that playing with pets should also become another joy mechanism instead of just nuzzled buff.

I... really don't understand how v1.0 got out while the game still has soooooo many problems unsolved...

I agree.. I have never used swarms of animals before, I avoid any kind of cheese tactics because I like a challenge and not just trying to abused flawed game mechanics to win.

I, on the other hand, love animals and taming! I tend to collect a variety of them for entertainment, and only have a handful of combat capable ones. Primarily because you can't use animals you like in combat, they will get destroyed. That was something that was supposed to be addressed before 1.0 came out, but got dumped by the wayside. That was a big Topic in another reason post.

But the changes heavily impact people that just like playing with animals, and don't aim for giant cheesy Kamikaze herds.

Not only is upkeeping annoying, but it takes a decent amount of time running back and forth trying to keep tameness every now and then instead of doing other chores. Yes.. I know it's not that often, but I still seem to notice it a lot.

Are there any mods out there that revert the game back to the old taming method?
"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde