Transport

Started by Digital, November 01, 2013, 07:29:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Digital

Hello all.

Even at current sizes, travel across the map is slow.  When gathering resources which are a great distance away, this means it can take in-game days to move them all.

A simple suggestion to resolve this is a truck which functions as a drop off point.  The idea is basically to have it move at run speed to a location, be loaded up with whatever from that location, and move back to base for drop off.

This helps greatly to "Future Proof" map size increases, as tweaking the movement speed or abilities of the vehicle would allow you to work around long distances better.  Obviously it would be a mid-game item, requiring research/infrastructure to use. 

Limitations for such a thing are simple to adjust as needed as well.  You could have vehicles which are damaged when going through rough areas (think small cars) that move faster if you have built a smoothed road.  You could have slower offroad trucks for hauling cargo.

With this setup well you could work with nearly any sized map effectively, even so far as making multiple colonies in the late game.  More immediately it would mean that having 5 guys move 20 pieces of scrap from the NE corner of the map to the SE corner of the map could be done in a day.  :P

MrDemonic

Interesting. You could have transportation as a research tree. Starting with basic vehicles. Then moving up to more specified ones, like trucks being used to transport miners and resources, fast moving buggies to transport colonists around the map and colony (if it's big enough).

Though there would need to be some kind of fuel. Could use solar and have all the vehicles as electric!
I like the idea of even having a very basic mode of transport that would be used in favour of walking.

British

Hello,

A list of what you missed/overlooked (in that specific order):

Finjinimo

What about something like a remote-controlled semi-automated hauler.

You would research it first and once built you have a big old tonka truck to help haul stuff around. Something like the mars rover, but without all the science bits.

I think having a tool like that would be useful and would also mean you don't have to program someone to 'drive' it.

Digital

Quote from: British on November 01, 2013, 08:02:40 PM
Hello,

Better than the last one, at least you took the time to link the thread.  Still rude, but it's a more useful rude!  Does that just come with the "I've been here so I'm entitled" thing, Mr. Backer 3 Sir?  Do I get to look down on anyone who donated after September? 

Ugh... what the hell is with gaming communities lately.  Seems like every game I kickstart or follow early you end up with these.  Think I'm going to just go, really just sets me in a sour mood and it's not worth it. 

British

I don't know, maybe you can tell me.
Do you always ignore all the rules in place when you register to a new forum, not caring about doing some research of your own, instead of barging in and ignoring it all ?

It's just about the same of forums out there: there are rules, they are either here to facilitate the work of the people that manage the forums, or to make it easier to find information for people that visit those forums.
Even better, they can have both, just like here.

So, like in those forums, you can either follow the (simple) rules, or go make your own forums somewhere else where you could wreak havoc to your heart content.

But, yes, you're probably just in a sour mood.

enystrom8734

Quote from: Digital on November 01, 2013, 09:04:43 PM
Quote from: British on November 01, 2013, 08:02:40 PM
Hello,

Better than the last one, at least you took the time to link the thread.  Still rude, but it's a more useful rude!  Does that just come with the "I've been here so I'm entitled" thing, Mr. Backer 3 Sir?  Do I get to look down on anyone who donated after September? 

Ugh... what the hell is with gaming communities lately.  Seems like every game I kickstart or follow early you end up with these.  Think I'm going to just go, really just sets me in a sour mood and it's not worth it.

Some things could be learned from this. Kindly let moderators take care of the rule enforcement. Moderators are the enforcement and focus of peoples hate. No need to take it yourself. Also instead of saying what they "missed/overlooked", constructively suggest that next time they should use the search function and say nicely that "I find this other related thread, maybe contribute there instead unless you really think its a separate idea." No need to be rash, blunt and kinda asinine.

Quote from: British on November 01, 2013, 09:15:29 PM
I don't know, maybe you can tell me.
Do you always ignore all the rules in place when you register to a new forum, not caring about doing some research of your own, instead of barging in and ignoring it all ?

It's just about the same of forums out there: there are rules, they are either here to facilitate the work of the people that manage the forums, or to make it easier to find information for people that visit those forums.
Even better, they can have both, just like here.

So, like in those forums, you can either follow the (simple) rules, or go make your own forums somewhere else where you could wreak havoc to your heart content.

But, yes, you're probably just in a sour mood.

You didn't need to respond... No need to get into a heated argument. Should put you both in the corners... Closed
E Nystrom - @enystrom8734