Is there any downside to psychite tea compared to the other two social drugs?

Started by foolcow, November 11, 2018, 12:51:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

foolcow

It seems way better than either beer or smokeleaf. I don't see why anybody would use those instead of psychite tea.

Sometenranadom

Its more addictive, and less addictive. I think(The wiki is not doing so well these days thanks to an awesome dev who updates the game, so the aging information is all over the place). What I've learned is on any given consumption Psychites a bit more addictive. Than alcohol. But you can use it more often (Every two days) without increasing the base chance(Vs beer and smoke that you need to wait 3 days without increasing tolerance). So its either purely better than them. Or better on the frequency part. That depends on whether zero tolerance addiction exists(IDK). So if first zero tolerance addiction exists. Its kinda worse(not much). If zero tolerance addiction doesn't exist (that means if you wait the 2 cooldown days so the invisible tolerance goes to zero) then its way better. Its definitely a little bit more addictive for binges and habitual use.

Long story short: Don't do drugs kid dedicate all the drug production resources to making two large sculptures for each bedroom, and 6 large sculptures for your main hall(rec and dinging room). Then start making drugs for money.

zizard

AileTheAlien

I just sell all drugs until I get a way to produce or trade for Wake-Up. They're all too minor of a boost, for too much hassle / addiction. :)

Canute

But special at early colonies, it is nice to have some mood boni for pawn's with extrem low mood.
Just don't give them to much of them at once.

Scavenger

I think a beer can now be safely used once or twice a day without any risk of addiction.
"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

jpinard

What would be the parameters I'd set if I only wanted them to use Beer every other day, but only when their mood is atrocious (or their fun-time)?

BLACK_FR

Smokeleaf has too much drawback, beer is too much hassle. Psychite tea is the way to go for smart players.
Guide to mastery of the game - https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=46290
If you have idea how make merciless naked brutality run more challenging and fun - tell me

Scavenger

Quote from: BLACK_FR on November 11, 2018, 07:00:10 PM
Smokeleaf has too much drawback, beer is too much hassle. Psychite tea is the way to go for smart players.

Min-maxers prefer beer I'm sure, zero risk even if more hassle. And those Hooligans will exploit any  mechanic or bug haha.
"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Canute

Quote from: jpinard on November 11, 2018, 03:39:27 PM
What would be the parameters I'd set if I only wanted them to use Beer every other day, but only when their mood is atrocious (or their fun-time)?
I set the drug policy for tea,joint,beer and ambrosia so they don't get used for recreatation.
Then if their mood are below 33, they can use 1 of them each day.

BLACK_FR

Quote from: Scavenger on November 12, 2018, 03:59:20 AM
Min-maxers prefer beer I'm sure, zero risk even if more hassle. And those Hooligans will exploit any  mechanic or bug haha.

You are wrong on this one. First of all you have to research this. Secondly, you have to build brewery and fermenting barrels. Thirdly, it affects your stats. Compare this to just "grow and craft" for psychite tea. Psychite tea doesn't have drawbacks, increases mood for 12, gives you 40% recreation, 10% rest and reduces you tiredness level. Choice is clear for me.
Also "no hassle" is a big deal, I like to avoid as much as everyone else when possible.

Also you have distorted view of min-maxers. Using exploits or bugs is not related to it.
If you have idea how make merciless naked brutality run more challenging and fun - tell me

Shurp

The danger of psychite is tolerance more than addictiveness.   If you use it occasionally to manage a random bad mood it's ok.  But if you use it constantly you'll soon find your pawns hitting it more and more frequently, pushing their tolerance and risk of addiction up even further.  Or spending a lot of time with no psychite effect at all.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Crow_T

I start off with tea, then do tea and beer if I have the growers available for both. I like making beer, it's a fun to me to have a climate-controlled brewery, and I like to gift beer to visitors because who doesn't appreciate free beer. In my case it's more for role playing, but I do let colonists use beer and tea to keep spirits up. Smokeleaf however is a different story, slows everyone down way too much, although it is a good money maker.

*I should add that tea can become an issue if you allow it multiple times a day, I had a brain damaged pawn and thought the extra speed would be a good idea. It wasn't... In general I think every 3 days is decent for tea/beer/smokeleaf.
(regarding dead man's apparel)
"I think, at the very least, the buff should go away for jackets so long as you're wearing the former owner's skin as a shirt."
-Condaddy20

BLACK_FR

Quote from: Shurp on November 12, 2018, 07:28:14 PM
The danger of psychite is tolerance more than addictiveness.   If you use it occasionally to manage a random bad mood it's ok.

Why would anyone use it not for the mood buff when mood-depriving events stack? You have to have big stock of it to use it regularly and that just adds more raiders. Not worth, you can improve pawns mood by other means.

@Crow_T
Role-playing is only good reason to go for beer)
Also no drug production is really good money-maker. Best money-maker is to kill some big animals (like muffalos or megasloths), store their corpses, butcher them when bulk trader comes and sell meat and leathers.

bbqftw