Rock Chunks vs. Sandbags

Started by Halinder, July 11, 2014, 08:17:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halinder

From what I've noticed, raiders and colonists can use rock chunks as cover, making less industrious colonies ripe for the picking by sharpshooting pirates or tribals. Sandbags have this same cover mechanic, except they can be destroyed, whereas rock chunks can only be broken down via stonecutting table. This made me wonder, do rock chunks provide less cover than sandbags, or are they both the same?

_alphaBeta_

From what I've seen, and supported by the wiki, sandbags provide more cover, but can be destroyed (rather easily it seems). I'm still back and forth on the idea of whether to surround turrets with rock or sandbags.

EscapeZeppelin

I use rocks simply so that I don't have to keep rebuilding the sandbags after every attack. I always seem to have problems where the next assault arrives before I can fully repair my defenses.

milon

Make sure you also get rid of any cover for the raiders.  This includes rock chunks, slag (or whatever it's called now), trees, cacti, and any corners they can hide behind.  If they're stuck in the open - especially if they're sitting ducks behind little bushes - they're much easier to deal with.

johnakers

How do you move the rock chunks?  None of my haulers will move them and they make for slow travel when they block pathways in the mountain...

TheVillageIdiot

Click on the Orders menu.. and then select "Haul Things". Then click on all of the items you wish hauled.

You'll have to make sure you have a "Dumping Zone" set up. That is where they'll will all be placed. As such... if you setup Dumping Zones to look like a wall around an object - that is where the rocks will be dumped. A rock chunk wall. :)

Xanting

I think it might be the fact that sandbags provide more cover that causes them to be destroyed faster as they are soaking up all the hits and if I'm not mistaken both sandbags and rubble have 300 health. although rubble costs nothing but the labor to move it while sandbags cost 3 metal per tile.