Need Tips! Haven't played in over a year. What do you suggest me to do while pro

Started by steelhard, November 15, 2018, 04:47:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelhard

Current Base:

https://i.gyazo.com/dcdbc33395ccb755bc55c17ebb282533.jpg

Current Priorities:

https://i.gyazo.com/62c0eeace085c77c3a4061b159e69bb6.png

Still having the occasional mental breakdown (not often but still happens), always really low on food, added the rice field on the right of the storage just now to see if I can finally have a decent surplus but I doubt it, also hunting isn't being too profitable since I've almost emptied the map of animals.

Having issues with components, can't find them anywhere anymore, can't get some extra stuff I wanted until I wait for traders that have components.

Canute

My first impression are,
you have alot of people and that's the only growing zones ?
Since you don't have much rich soil, you need to double your current zones.
If you got enough energy, maybe switch to hydroponics indoor farm, so you don't run out of food on winter.

I don't saw a com console, and no trade beacon storage area.
You should build that so you can trade with orbital traders, so you can buy componets from Orbital bulk traders.

To have trade goods, you should think about to plant smokeleaf,psychic or hops for joints/tea/beer.
These help to boost the mood of your pawn's too. Don't forget to adjust drug policy once you produce them.

You should have at last one pawn mine the mountain, to get more resources, then you can turn steel into components if you researched it.

Kirby23590

I recommend replacing the wooden walls with stone, and don't break the stone rock walls, instead smooth them, they are more durable than the stone walls and can have wires placed underneath it.

Your freezer might not handle the Heat wave. Try building two or three coolers later on and make your freezer larger if your going have an large stockpile of food in winter.

Also your wind turbines have those pesky trees in their path making them less efficient, cover them with some like concrete or stone floor tiles to prevent trees growing in the wind turbines' zones.

For your colonists, i would tell Skissor, Lumi and Blackjack to help out the cook if grump is unavailable. And train Lumi's and Blackjack's to help Polo if she is unavailable for growing farms since you need 6 or 8 growing skill points to grow healroots and other stuff as well.

However i love your dinning and recreation area. though... :)

One "happy family" in the rims...
Custom font made by Marnador.

noname_hero

While I'm a newbie myself, I already see what I consider opportunities for improvement. So what would I do?

Plant something like potatoes under those wind turbines. That way you both gain extra farmland and get rid of trees lowering the turbines' efficiency.

Plant something else to solve that food situation.

Add some cover for my pawns to supplement the firepower of those turrets.

Move that mortar to some unfarmable spot in the north, unless I'd want to use it as a sacrificial target for raiders.

Get some animals for caravans and stuff.

And I'd add an airlock to the freezer.

Is there anything stupid about those ideas, given I'm new to the game?

BugPowderDust

Quote from: Kirby23590 on November 15, 2018, 02:46:41 PM
I recommend replacing the wooden walls with stone, and don't break the stone rock walls, instead smooth them, they are more durable than the stone walls and can have wires placed underneath it.

Wait, what?? You can put conduit in rock walls? Damn, I've just been assuming you still can't, and replacing with walls where necessary

AileTheAlien

Your geothermal generator is going to be completely un-reachable, in the case of a fire caused by short-circuit. Normally only the middle few squares are unreachable, but if you extinguish the fire before it reaches those, you're fine. In your current setup, you're hosed. Also, everything's made out of wood, which is yet another fire hazard. There's also no space between most of your buildings and rooms, which means that fire can move between buildings/rooms faster than colonists can.

Kirby23590

Quote from: noname_hero on November 16, 2018, 05:43:58 AM
Plant something like potatoes under those wind turbines. That way you both gain extra farmland and get rid of trees lowering the turbines' efficiency.

Is there anything stupid about those ideas, given I'm new to the game?
Actually planting potato growing zones underneath the wind turbines is actually better than my tips, Though the animal and caravans stuff i might prefer transport pods in mid or late game and use alpacas or muffalos in early game and use alpacas all the way for caravans or just sell them to traders.
Quote from: BugPowderDust on November 16, 2018, 07:19:44 AM
Quote from: Kirby23590 on November 15, 2018, 02:46:41 PM

Wait, what?? You can put conduit in rock walls? Damn, I've just been assuming you still can't, and replacing with walls where necessary
Yup you can put power conduits under those rocky walls, but they must be smoothed first to become smoothed stone, but they are still susceptible to sappers and they can't be replaced to a new smoothed limestone wall, it's back to building those less durable brick limestone walls... ;D

One "happy family" in the rims...
Custom font made by Marnador.

ashaffee

Information is needed to give you any advice.

Difficulty level
-Effects advice on your horrible defense (or could be overkill defense depending on difficulty)

End goal (do you plan on doing the ship mission or just a predetermined goal for "winning")
- This effects advice on telling you if you should ditch the base all together and go caravanning

Play style
- Do you actually care about astetics or do you just want to min max for efficency.

Most importantly. No one should really tell you how to play this game. It is suppose to be a custom story for you. The game is designed to hurt you and help you over and over. Every time a colonist dies the game in some ways becomes easier.

Small tips to just improve your next base design. (just so I add value to the reply)
-Even small bedrooms are better than barracks. (They make huge difference with mood)
-Kitchen being a small separate room in a location no one but the cook has a reason to travel to helps keep it clean. Butchering creatures the next room over connected by doors that never close.
-Smoothing/making stone/floors improves beauty of a room way better than using wood (plus doesn't burn down or break as easy).

-Corn is best crop for produing the most food for least amount of labor.
-You can plant crops infront of your windturbines and also use that space to place solar panels.
-Check out the range of a orbital trade beacon and design a room to those specs for your storage area.
-Research can be a seperate small sterile room as well (no reason for anyone else to go in there and make a mess)

-Walls provide higher cover than sandbags and also contains explosions. Building a little wall room for each turret and sandbag in front doesn't hurt. Best cover for a pawn to fight from is standing behind a wall shooting over a sandbag (doesn't stack cover but helps).
- Put turrets on a switch ( means you need less power 95% of the time). Charge a few batteries put them near the turret as well. Turret >> Switch >>> Battery >> Switch >>> main power. This gives more reliable power to defenses when needed with also turning off switches when not needed means you need less over all power.

Work tab
-Research should be turned off on every person except 1 to keep room clean (plus keeps best person doing the job). Unless you schedule two different people to sleep and work at different hours.
-Make Mo a dedicated miner (double passion) dig long tunnels into the mountains searching for your components.
-If you can afford it. Make your cook avoid all violence. Injuries increase food poisoning rates plus doesn't seem like you have a back up.
-Have a person on 1 for cleaning since so many things are effected by it.

Those are just a few things I noticed by looking at the information given. But please ingnore any and maybe all of it if it isn't fun for you. This game isn't designed to be played in any 1 way at all.