When is a room roofed?

Started by lewisd, November 01, 2013, 04:17:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lewisd

I was watching one of ChristonianA's videos on YouTube, and at one point, while digging a tunnel in the mountainside, he discovers a room (or cave, or something).  Later, he digs out that room a bit, making it more square, and then gets a message about being unable to roof it because it's too large.  However, he was putting farms in there, so I'd think you'd want to leave it unroofed, probably?

How does that work?  When does it decide that something dug out of the mountain is roofed or not? Is there some way to tell it to roof or not?  Is there visible indication that it's roofed?  I couldn't see any.

(Disclaimer: I'm a backer, but haven't got the game yet, so I haven't actually played it, just watched it on YouTube.)

Semmy

A room gets roofed when it doesnt extend a certain sized and is completely walled (can have doors)
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Edmund Burke

lewisd

Oh, I see.  So making it too big, or leaving gaps in the walls that aren't filled by doors, would make it stay unroofed.

Is there any visual feedback to indicate whether it's roofed or not?  I don't think I see any in the YouTube videos, but I could just be missing it.

Semmy

Yes there is.
A tooltip in the bottom left of the screen says so.

And roofs wich are to big/unsupported collapse aswell
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Edmund Burke

Dragula

A roofed room becomes dark, well if there's no lamp in it ofcourse.
Also, there is a roofing animation and if it rains it doesn't inside.

lewisd

Oh, awesome. :) Thanks Semmy!

Dragula, that's helpful to know too.  The tooltip is nice though, because you can check without having to wait for night or rain, or have a lamp, or anything. :)

Can't wait to play! :)

British

It's all lies, have your room take roofies and you're done !

Dragula

Quote from: British on November 01, 2013, 07:53:01 PM
It's all lies, have your room take roofies and you're done !
Now that i wanna see! :)

Tynan

I'm planning a rework of the roofing system.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog