Is there any downside to psychite tea compared to the other two social drugs?

Started by foolcow, November 11, 2018, 12:51:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ashaffee

Quote from: BLACK_FR on November 13, 2018, 04:00:51 PM
Quote from: Shurp on November 12, 2018, 07:28:14 PM
The danger of psychite is tolerance more than addictiveness.   If you use it occasionally to manage a random bad mood it's ok.

Why would anyone use it not for the mood buff when mood-depriving events stack? You have to have big stock of it to use it regularly and that just adds more raiders. Not worth, you can improve pawns mood by other means.

@Crow_T
Role-playing is only good reason to go for beer)
Also no drug production is really good money-maker. Best money-maker is to kill some big animals (like muffalos or megasloths), store their corpses, butcher them when bulk trader comes and sell meat and leathers.

Money can buy you weapons or mats needed to progress faster. Drugs help  a lot when you caravan across the map. Managing bear, smoke, tea on every 3 days lowers break risks at extreme levels where those could be the primary way you loose. I also give them options for all other drugs besides lucifer every 5-10 days(depending on how the colony is doing). Sometimes it is better to keep a colonist a drug addict to prevent them from mentally breaking.

All of this is in extreme cases in merciless when caravanning to final destination. ( personally prefer to caravan instead of launch pads.

BLACK_FR

@ashafee
Why caravan when you can make drop pods and then launch yourself to the final destination?
Also I think that friendly AI quest makes it too easy.

Regarding managing your mood. Every drug except tea and beer has risk of disaster from every dose. And Murphy law says that if something bad can happen it will happen. Considering that you can have zero mental breaks by other means all other drugs seems unnecessary.
Guide to mastery of the game - https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=46290
If you have idea how make merciless naked brutality run more challenging and fun - tell me

ashaffee

Quote from: BLACK_FR on November 17, 2018, 11:46:16 AM
@ashafee
Why caravan when you can make drop pods and then launch yourself to the final destination?
Also I think that friendly AI quest makes it too easy.

Regarding managing your mood. Every drug except tea and beer has risk of disaster from every dose. And Murphy law says that if something bad can happen it will happen. Considering that you can have zero mental breaks by other means all other drugs seems unnecessary.

I don't like drop pods personally. I find the journey more fun. I didn't want to turn my response into a guide about how to use drugs but every person is on a drug policy. Risky drugs at the lowest level of options. Some colonist are amazing additions but might be depressive. My point is that people really shouldn't fear drugs but utilize them sparingly (basically like it is in real life) . I never let pawns use it for recreation but they are all set on mood %s.

BLACK_FR

@ahafee
There is no fun in journey. If you like encounters you can do quests. If you like traveling you better play Fallout)

Regarding drugs. Just control mood well and you won't need hard drugs.
My current run is with one pawn so even one usage of hard drug can be lethal. If you have several good doctors this offsets risks. But that only means that you should have reserve of go-juice for hard fights. If you are using other drugs then you can't safely use go-juice when needed (because of overdose).
So no matter how you play you shouldn't use hard drugs except go-juice.
Guide to mastery of the game - https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=46290
If you have idea how make merciless naked brutality run more challenging and fun - tell me

ashaffee

Quote from: BLACK_FR on November 17, 2018, 08:04:20 PM
@ahafee
There is no fun in journey. If you like encounters you can do quests. If you like traveling you better play Fallout)

Regarding drugs. Just control mood well and you won't need hard drugs.
My current run is with one pawn so even one usage of hard drug can be lethal. If you have several good doctors this offsets risks. But that only means that you should have reserve of go-juice for hard fights. If you are using other drugs then you can't safely use go-juice when needed (because of overdose).
So no matter how you play you shouldn't use hard drugs except go-juice.

I'm doing a run right now where I've used flake and yayo twice. Event that caused dead father (failed mission) during an injury and another time for a colonist with hypersensitivity during drone event. I do this mainly in the event of a huge raid arriving or other bad moments. In a perfect world it isn't needed. As for original topic. I see no downside to psychite tea if used for mood and not recreation.

Gadfly

I use psychite for caravans.

Ambushed, we all drink some tea before the battle, gets rec up usually they are bored and gives a nice mood boost.

Beer after a battle in the base.

Smokeleaf gets used in the hospital as a pain killer, if it does not kill the pawn.

Not much experience with hard drugs, but Go-juice is a nice combat drugs.

But still prefer no hard drugs for my pawns.