[MOD REQUEST] Actual Flamethrowers! And Dragon's breath shotguns!

Started by Kirby23590, November 17, 2018, 03:49:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kirby23590

Hey, hey, hey there People of the Rims! ;D

Wanna hear jokes about Pyromaniacs setting fire to Chemfuel storage and exploding inside in the Chemfuel Closet?

Well actually we are talking about a toy that's missing for them, Yes have Molotovs and Incendiary Launchers, but we are talking about Flamethrowers!

Actual Flamethrowers! I want them or the flamethrowers mostly if the flames hits anything it it's path it will be engulfed in flames unless it's nonburnable or in-flammable materials. Raiders hiding in sandbags or in stone chunks & trees or even a horde of angry melee tribal raiders or manhunter packs, the flamethrower should be an crowd-control weapon to set them in flames to flush em' out from cover or just set them fire and kill em with fire...

I know this might want C# Coding but XML coding might be tough but i still want it hit anything in it's path, though it missing occasionally.

Oh yea also if you read the subject of the title, i'm also talking about Dragon's breath shotguns or more accurately, Incendiary shotguns.

Yea so Dragon's breath Shotties. Well they ignite people in fire and animals including burnable object like wood. Though i don't want them to create Filth Fuel and starts it's own fires.

This one seems more easy to make though, as i'm a huge sucker of shotguns. This would also allow to create incendiary bullets for other weapons such as machine guns and assault rifles, including fire arrows for bows!

I just want to know if they are any mods out there that add Flamethrowers and DB Shotguns, i just want set the world in fire, that's all. 8)

One "happy family" in the rims...
Custom font made by Marnador.

Canute

You aware these weapon would awful overpowered ?
Maybe not about the damage, more then to ability to set targets on fire.
2-3 pawn with flamethrower can stop a whole raid, just need to position them right so the raid move through a narrow part, and you set anything an fire.
Basicly the same with the shotguns.

I know this from mods like GlitterTech, the fast shooting pistole that can set targets on fire.
Or Steamthrower/flamethrower from previous releases.

Kirby23590

Quote from: Canute on November 17, 2018, 04:14:16 AM
You aware these weapon would awful overpowered ?
Maybe not about the damage, more then to ability to set targets on fire.
2-3 pawn with flamethrower can stop a whole raid, just need to position them right so the raid move through a narrow part, and you set anything an fire.
Basicly the same with the shotguns.

I know this from mods like GlitterTech, the fast shooting pistole that can set targets on fire.
Or Steamthrower/flamethrower from previous releases.

It might be overpowered, why not make very slow to fire or have a slow cooldown or even short-range? Once the user fired his flamethrower, he or she's a sitting duck or waiting for the thing to fire?

For Dragon Breath's Shotgun, It might a chance to ignite or just not even ignite anything and just do normal damage but less than a pump shotguns. They should feel more inaccurate to fire and less damaging than their ballistic counterparts against armored raider or even mechanoids.

Aren't mechanoids flameproof? This makes flamethrowers and Dragons breath shotguns impractical against them since they are flameproof but also less effective in rains.

We also got snipers and rocket launcher packing mercs, it's a deathwish to throw your short-ranged flamethrower or db shotgun guy to em' if they get the hit, unless you use hiding & ambush tactics.

Raiders should not spawn with flamethrower since they burn up their guys in friendly fires moments but the ones with DB shotguns can exist, but who do they care, they can spawn with flamethrowers in rare pyromaniac pirate raids where everyone has molotovs and flamethrower and incendiary launchers? :P

It's hard to balance things, but many weapons out there don't care about weapon balance, i still want my flamethrower and roasting manhunter megasloths and raiders with em'... :(

XeoNovaDan

To be fair, flamethrowers could be balanced by making them ridiculously chemfuel-hungry monsters.

Kirby23590

Quote from: XeoNovaDan on November 17, 2018, 04:34:18 AM
To be fair, flamethrowers could be balanced by making them ridiculously chemfuel-hungry monsters.
I can live with that. :D

Or live with flamethrowers only being turrets controlled by an A.I like mini-turrets or Being a Mannable turret in a fixed location.

They are powered by chemfuel and being hungry eating chemfuel eaters for spewing flames after all. ;)

JT

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/VideoGameFlameThrowersSuck

Honestly, if anyone made a flamethrowers mod, I'd prefer they do it realistically.  Flamethrower turrets would be capable of driving napalm a good 125 metres in reality, so 12+ tiles in the game using the typical 300-metres effective range in reality relative to the game's average max range of about 30 tiles.  Where that metric starts to fall apart is the fact that distances aren't quite linear, so using the average 20~30 metre range of a man-portable flamethrower (which is much farther than movie flamethrowers), 3 tiles would be wholly unsatisfactory -- so presume that a flamethrower is viable at about the same range as a pistol.

Reality is self-balancing, however:

1) Flamethrowers are extremely bulky and extremely heavy even when empty.

2) Carrying about sixteen litres of fuel is a pain in itself, but also necessarily limits your ammunition supply to only one or two enemy bunkers and trenches at a time due to prodigious consumption rate.

3) Anyone obviously carrying a flamethrower is obviously your number one target.  Any location using flamethrowers in their defence is obviously a candidate for external bombardment, bombing runs, or... nuclear options.

Mechanoids in particular would be ideal candidates for using flamethrowers, because mechanoids are not made of fleshy material, and are more than capable of being modified to include a compressor that provides high pressure pumping.  If any form of Von Neumann machine turned anthrophobic, you could bet your fleshy hu-mon brain that they would exploit the biological fear of fire as one of their primary weapons (assuming they didn't just nuke us, since that has the benefit of expediency and of making the environment unsuitable for our life for much longer than it is unsuitable for theirs).

Jiro

I don't think they would be overpowered. It takes a good deal of precise engineering to make a properly working flamethrower and napalm+ignition mechanism, they're ridiculously heavy, dangerous as hell to be carrying around during battle, horrifyingly low firing time (something in the range of about six seconds IRL), etc.
However, considering how underpowered the range of firearms in RimWorld already are, I would imagine that the range of personal flamethrowers would be so short they may as well be melee weapons. Flamethrower turrets would be quite vulnerable due to needing to be out of cover to prevent burning down your own colony while at the same time being full of compressed flammable liquid, making them easy pickings for even tribal raiders. Moreover, the intelligence needed for tactics used with flamethrowers are out of reach of the AI for pawns (actually, more like all weapons, haha). For example, dousing something with fuel+napalm mix and only then igniting it. Vanilla RimWorld also does not have any psych debuffs for uncontrolled fires, which are pretty much the strong point of flamethrowers in the first place. Also, there is no system for oxygen level in RimWorld, which would mean targets would have to be directly burned to death rather than the more common asphyxiation due to the napalm fire sucking all the oxygen out of the local atmosphere and replacing it with smoke and soot.

I really would like to see realistic flamethrower behavior in RimWorld, something like the same way Factorio's flamethrower fires, but I do not think the game is ready for something like this yet.

Kirby23590

@JT

Well by judging by and looking at TVTropes' Video Game Flame Throwers Suck. And by reading it, i prefer it to be Flame & not Lame...

Flame Examples like

Far Cry's Flamethrowers or Far Cry 2 Flame Example's to be more accuarte

• The Flamethrower in Far cry 2 the LPO-50, is one of your starting weapons in the second game in the Special Weapons Slot, and if you want something else like a PKM or a M249 instead, Molotovs are friends and can fill the role since Weapons can break and jam making AKs and ARs dropped from the enemies, not that great and also jam at the worst times.
  • The Flame comes into play since the fire in FC2 spreads like a wildfire, i'm not that joking since even a explosion from a tanker in the game starts out small than when goes unchecked becomes a giant flaming fire for you and enemies not enter to...
  • Unlike in some games like modern Fallout games, the enemies when they catch on fire, they will be busy putting out the fire out of their clothes and not shoot back at you, since they are panicking and screaming, otherwise they stop and drop and from that.
The Pyro from TF2's Flame

• One of the well known Offense classes in TF2 and also fill the role in Defense. Offense since this class is focused in ambushes and setting the enemy team on fire, they still can shootback and move around in full control however they scream saying "I'm on fire!" or "Fire, Fire, Fire!!" giving away their position. It's also a debuff since when you are in fire, your not only in fire. There are some weapons like the Dragon's Fury or the Detonator and the Axtinguisher that deals bonus damage or mini-crits to people on fire.
  • The Pyro Class are a huge Counter and huge Enemy to Disguised Spies, Pyros in TF2 mostly use their flamethrower on enemies but also on their allies even though there is no friendly fire, it's called Spy Checking, since disguised spies can still take damage from their enemies and are immune to friendly fire from their real team. A disguised spy will catch on fire and not only that, the disguised spy has flame particles on him, compromising his disguise, leaving no choice but to run or fight back with his revolver or knife.
  • Also the Pyro is a huge enemy to the Soldier Class thanks to the Pyro's Compressed Air Secondary fire, he can knock back the soldier's rockets back to him or when there is a cliff involved, he can use the Compressed Air's Secondary fire to push the enemy players to fall to their death.
Blood the 1997 FPS Shooter's Flames

• One of the most underlooked games and runs on the engine that Duke Nukem 3D uses and the blood has to be the most criminally underlooked Build Engine game, One of the first weapons in the first level in Blood next to the Pitchfork is the Flare Gun not really a flamethrower but since you're dealing with cultists that shot back with their tommy guns and sawed-off shotguns, the flare gun is of one the good weapons to take care of them with, the secondary or the primary fire of the gun is use full for a group of em or a single one that's far away.
    just shoot them once and hide in a corner and wait until the cultist start panicking and running in flames "it burns! it burns!" in the burning man style.
  • You get the game's flamethrower in the form of a Aerosol Can spray. the Lame... is that is short-range for enemies like the cultists who are ranged-focused enemies. The Flame part comes into play when you're dealing with Zombies wielding axes who often appear in large groups or Smaller Enemies ( Spiders, Killer Hands and Rats. ) filling the role of Flame, also the secondary fire makes turn into a improvised incendiary bomb when dealing with large groups of enemies. Not only that, ammo for it is surprisingly common in some levels mostly in the Second Episode.
  • There is also a Napalm launcher which fills the role of the Rocket Launcher of the game, very useful for fighting cultists who use guns and large group enemies who weak to fire or not immune to it.

I would like to point that in the TVtrope's Page of Flamethrowers and Rimworld's fire is that. In some Flame Examples when the enemy catches fire. They are more busy running around in circles or screaming and putting out the flames rather than fighting back, making them more open to your attacks.

This also happens in Rimworld when you use a Incendiary Launcher or a throw a Molotov Cocktail to a Raider taking cover on a tree. The raider is more busy running around circles rather than hiding cover. Since he's out of cover, your colonists who are using ranged weapons such as the assault rifle or the charge rifle will have an much easier time shooting him since he's out of cover running around in circles & not shooting back.

Also there's a weapon for mechanoids that they already have, it's called the Inferno Cannon which have a large blast radius and have a scorched earth tactic when using them and they are perfect candidates for using them of course. And also sadly they are immune since they are machines and not fleshly... Unless you use What The Hack?! Mod and make them fight alongside you, of course ... ;D

@中村ジロ

Interesting stuff, but since the flamethrower turret is in the open and can explode violently, the melee attackers would not just get set on fire from the flaming turret but also by destroying it, this also includes the manhunter packs as well.

I don't think a mood debuff for uncontrolled fire will be nice since it can happen most of the time from lighting strikes or boomrats dying & exploding, though i prefer a mood bufff for pyromaniacs watching them instead even though they are a danger to the colony. :P

I also can see throwing a guy decked out in plate armor or full marine armor (they call it nowadays) to a brawler squad and ignite some raiders in fire to flush them out from cover and have the brawlers do their job of cleaning up the rest. Of course not setting my brawlers in fire since flames can bypass shield belts if you are not careful!

Oh yeah in one of my games, my chemfuel storage kind of blew up from a siege thanks to a mortar shell falling from the sky with a lucky shot and blowing up my chemfuel generators in the process, not only that the room kind of reached like 2000 degrees in temperature to a scorching level, forcing me to open a roof and remove my walls in the chemfuel and generator room to the outside world. Luckily no one died but some one got a scorched eye scar... ( He deserves it BTW for breaking up with his partner... )

They are very good at fighting melee focused raids, but i would also like to point out raiders who use flamethrowers against you, i tend to put them in a threat scaling level in my book of raiders.

• Low Threat - Autopistols and machinepistols or shortbow raiders. And raids in the first-minutes of early game.
  • Medium Threat - Assault rifles and Shotgun Raiders. Melee Brawler Raiders wielding Gladius or Spears. Weak or small group of manhunter packs
  • High Threat - Snipers, Grenadiers, Incendiary Launchers, Raiders in Marine Armor and Large Melee Groups.
  • Very High Threat - Charge Rifles or Charge Lance Users, Triple & Doomsday Launchers and Mechanoid Raids, all of the mechanoids.

If i were to add flamethrowers to the Threat list, They would be in Orange or Red Threats and modded weapons like the Grenade Launchers they will be in the Red Threats as well... And of course i will focus fire on them when they get close to my group of militia, or lock them in melee with a brawler or a trained animal instead.

Well i could take a Heavy Incinerator from Fallout instead, but that would way to be OP, since it is more of a burst weapon that shoots fireballs with a radius that can scare raiders from taking cover in stone chunks, but would like to use it since it would be a upgrade to the incendiary launcher albeit slower to fire with the same explosive radius but with a burst fire.

Otherwise i would sneak in some pyromaniacs to your colony and set it in fire... heheheheheh...

Jiro

@Kirby23590 A pressurized tank wouldn't explode from melee sharp damage, just kinda squirt mist at high velocity in one direction. Melee blunt damage may cause it to burst depending on the shape, though (most flamethrower tanks are cylindrical-ish so that would be the top and bottom breaking from blunt damage). So something like a knife wouldn't make a flamethrower explode but a club might.
Lightning strikes and boomrats aren't as common as Zzzttt events and all three of those produce fires that are much easier to control than something resulting from an incendiary launcher bolt or turret explosion. Humans have an innate fear of fire (that is the main effect of flamethrowers, anyway: fright) so it seems odd to not have debuffs or hell even whole mental breaks for large, rapidly growing fires. If you've ever been in or around a burning building you will know that even a cartoon game version of that is no joke.

RimWorld isn't ready for flamethrowers in the same way it isn't ready for vehicles.

Kirby23590

While it is kind of unrealistic for melee guys to break a turret and it explodes to their faces along with melee weapons, it's part of how vanilla turrets work in rimworld.

While i can see that, but in some parts of the game, when there is a dry thunderstorm in the biomes like the swamp or tropical rainforest, i swear there can be huge fires if randy random doesn't want to drop a rain to stop it, it was already bad for wooden colonies in early game to stop the fires and people would the mood debuff when there's huge fires breaking out in the edge of the map counter-productive.

Kind of true that we have fear of fire especially to keep our houses and apartments safe from them and don't want to lose any of our stuff but unlike in the older Sims games the Sims would just panic and watch the fire and dance around which is the opposite of what our fire drills in our schools thought us unless well tell them to stay outside and call the fire department or use a Sim to fight the fires back while the fireman is on his way, luckily Sims 4 now follows the fire safety and after the Sims start from the fire panicking  they automatically ran out of the building.

Though in Rimworld we have fear of fire not in our colonists when one of them can't  fight back fire but it's us the players who fear that when Pyromaniacs or a explosion happens in our chemfuel storage or something goes bad, but that's not part of the mod.

While Rimworld isn't ready for Vehicles since it needs JecsTools. However Flamethrowers or at least it's alternatives like the Heavy Incinerators from Fallout 3 & New vegas or Incendiary SMGs made by Maliwan from Borderlands or Usable Inferno Cannons can be easily added in with XML coding or if someone adds Flamethrowers with some knowledge with C# coding or simply with XML.

Come on, modders don't be shy! :D