USAGE OF BOOKS

Started by vahanyer9, November 18, 2018, 09:09:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vahanyer9

What does book do? It teach us the thing written in it(i.e. reading gives experience without experiment). So they could learn doing it without harming. Of course it should be created from professional author. It also important to write it. It should be added to the game a book creating table. Or library. Also other skills of the colonist should be added. Creativity means how curious does he write the book. It could depend on the speed of learning and how much, because without experimenting, experience has disadvantages. For instance a character with 20 skill of cooking could teach upto 18.  And perceive, which means how good does a character perceives the book. It basically the opposite of learning. Enjoyable books could be created as well.
About creativity skill(but I think it shouldn't added as a skill in skill bar):(this skills depend on the social skill in skill bar. This should be taken into account)
Creativity could impact on leading skills(but I think it shouldn't added as a skill in skill bar). The leading skills is seen in caravans. When a good leader leads the colonist will never get discouraged by the leader, but if bad leader is leading, they will go mad and have mental breaks. Also it depended on the mood of the colonist generally.

Psycoris

Books would be a welcome addition.  I would envision it more as a recreation that could improve skills that are not already covered by recreation activities in the game currently. 

Creating a library is much more complex and is almost a side track from the main focus of the game and would need supporting material to produce aka paper, but could use leather, high tech books "tablet style" with steel and components. 
I see this as more in the mod world of things. Quality of library "Bookshelf produced as a low tech version high volume tile 2x3 or something" and Tablet, E-reader, computer as a high tech variant "space saver 1 tile". Replace those damn TVs in the hospitals lol. I would do a hybrid like hunting of Intellectual/Artistic to determine quality of the shelves/reader and giving better exp rate and recreation as the quality increases.

Edit: side note would make a neutral mental break Compulsive Reading it wouldn't give any exp in the skill but would fulfill recreation at the cost of losing a recreation spot and a pawn for a while.  Speaking of... could even do that for the other recreation spots as well as having pawns use their burning passions to fulfill the mental break.  That should be expanded in a post of its own though.

Planetfall

Hmm maybe you should talk to Jacrell. He just made the mod Rimwriter. https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1521844535
It doesn't have all of the features you suggested though. Maybe you could collab?
Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors so that, in glory and triumph, they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot.
_Carl Sagan_

BlackSmokeDMax

Love if someone put this mod back into service as well:

Arbitration: Realistic Research

Had a very cool system of making books (both for required research barriers and just for joy activity) that included making the paper, the covers, putting them together and then writing them. You then combined multiple books into groups and those then went into built bookshelves.

Think that mod was last up and running back in A13. That mod also had vehicles, carts and some other cool stuff. It was way before its time :) Not sure what the license states as far as someone else reviving it, but it sure would be awesome if that happened.