[MOD] (Alpha 6) Jaxxa Shields 0.08 - 2014-09-07 - Announcement

Started by Jaxxa, July 12, 2014, 12:45:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaxxa

Announcement:

After thinking about the future of my mods with Alpha 7 and beyond, I have decided that I wont be updating this mod anymore.

This mod is now dead, dead as a Phoenix.

Jaxxa Shields

About:
This mod allows you to place shield generators. They are expensive and power hungry but can really strengthen your defences.
The shields will stop projectiles that try to enter it, but allow weapons to be fired out.

How to use:
To install place the directory called "Jaxxa_Shields" (that contains the folders About,Assemblies,Defs,Sounds,Source,Textures) into your Mods folder.
Then activate from the mods option on the main menu screen.
After activating the mod and starting to play the first thing you will have to do is the research "Basic shield generator" this will unlock the "Basic shield" building.

After placing a Shield and providing it with enough power it will enter a warmup state. During this time there will be a countdown timer showing you how long until the shield is activated (if you select the shield).

After this time has elapsed the shield will activate showing a circle on the screen that shows where is covered by the shield.
This shield will stop all projectiles that enter it, but allow you to fire out from within the shield. The shield will start with a certain amount of health and will increase until it reaches it's maximum health. This will be reduced whenever the shield is used to block a projectile. If the shield is reduced to zero it will have to compleate the warmup phase again before it can block anything.

Details:
There are 4 Shields in this version of the Mod.

Basic shield generator:
This the standard shield generator and is almost identical to the only shield in Darker's original version of the mod.

Small shield:
This shield required additional research.
It is smaller in size, lower strength, uses less power and allows power to stand on it.

Phalanx CRAM shield:
This shield has been modified to only block indirect fire weapons. It will protect a large area from Mortars attack, but will allow bullets to pass through in any direction.

SIF Generator:
Rather than creating a large circular shield this generator will create an small individual shield over each wall/door object.

Statistics / Modding:

One of the main modifications that I made was making information about the shield to be read in from the XLM files rather than hard coded into the C# code. Because of this it should be easy to make your own shield generator of any size or strength.

The new XML variables that I have added that will be needed by shields are:

shieldMaxShieldStrength: Maximum shield strength
shieldInitialShieldStrength:Shield strength when going online
shieldShieldRadius:Radius of the Shield
shieldPowerRequiredLoading:The power used during Warmup
shieldPowerRequiredCharging:The power when the shield is up but not at full strength
shieldPowerRequiredSustaining:The power used when the shield is up and at full strength
shieldBlockIndirect:Should it block projectiles that fly overhead
shieldBlockDirect:Should it block projectiles that fly direct
shieldFireSupression:Should it put out fires (in squares that it is blocking)
shieldStructuralIntegrityMode:Should it only work on walls
shieldRechargeTickDelay:How many ticks between recharging the shield by 1 (lower number will recharge faster)
shieldRecoverWarmup:How long to wait before starting to charge
colourRed:Float value, Colour between 0 and 1
colourGreen:Float value, Colour between 0 and 1
colourBlue:Float value, Colour between 0 and 1

ChangeLog:
   - Updating Darker's mod to fix a bug in Alpha 4
   - Updating Darker's mod to Alpha 5
   - Main rewrite and move to my own mod, many changes
   - Increasing Strength of CRAM shield
   - Separate variables for shieldBlockIndirect and shieldBlockDirect
   - Fire suppression ability.
   - Added a shield that will protect squares that have walls / doors on them rather than a circular area
   - Fix for not leaving debris when destroyed
   -Alpha 6 Update
   -Renaming MyThingDef to ShieldThingDef
   -Shields will now leaveResourcesWhenKilled
   -Fixed Typo in research for Shields SIF Generator
   -Switchable Shield Options
      -Enable/Disable Direct / Indirect / Fire from ingame
      -Only if the shield supports it.
   -Enhanced fire suppression
      -Will drain shields and put fires out over time
      -Will work in the shield radius, not just the edge anymore
      -SIF shields will put out fires on the wall / doors
   -XML based colour
      -Shield colour is now defined in the XML files rather than hard coded
   - Added Repair mode to SIF shield
      - A counter to walls being damaged before the shot gets intercepted.
   - Coding enhancements to work more reliably and predictably
   - Fix for shield strength not being charged on loading a save game

Planned:
   -Early Warning?
   -Kenetic CRAM?
   -Check / deal with missing values better

Background:
This is based of the Shields mod by "Darker" http://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=2677.msg24772#msg24772 that is no longer being supported by him. I did a fix for Alpha4 and updated it to Alpha5 and have now developed to the point where I consider it a separate spin-off mod.

Credit/Legal:
Credit to "Darker" for making the original mod, and thanks for allowing anything to be done with it.
http://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=2677.msg24772#msg24772

Thanks to mrofa for providing code in "Clutter Mod" that was helpful to look at for figuring out better ways to do Fire Suppression and Command Switches

This work is licensed under http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/

The does not currently include the .dll's so if you want to use this you will have to compile it yourself.
You can use this if you want to fork the mod to make your own version or if you want to watch the development between main release versions.

Download:
Mediafire Download:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/4884f7v4x69btt8/Jaxxa_Shields_0.08.zip

ghandhi_rules

Thank you so much for your efforts. Time to playtest!

AstronauticalFerret

This is awesome. Paired with a good power gen mod and if you got a snow map to play on you can colonize Hoth! :P

Minato

Good job there jaxxa! I'll try it right now!

murlocdummy

The biggest issue I had with Darker's original shield was the fact that you couldn't build walls of shields.  By mid-to-late game, you'll have too many colonists and too many enemies to use only one or two shields at a time.  If you have more than that, your pawns will start shooting at each others' shields as the hordes of suicidal raiders bum-rush your ranks.

Is it possible to create a structure that functions as a shield wall that can be shot through?  In other words, instead of having a shield field with a radius around the structure, is it possible to have a structure block projectiles from one direction, but not from the other like a sort of upgraded embrasure?

And great job, jaxxa.  I'm sure Darker would be proud.

BetaSpectre

It'd be cool if there was a mod that let you have a tiny portable shield that is charged at the base but lasts a long time. for individual use.

BTW thanks for the mod
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO

ITOS

It's a neat mod! Thanks for updating it. Really helps my empaths' colony.

I also didn't like the power balance for the small shield so having it easily modded via the defs is nice.

Smacher305

so does anyone know what would happen if you overlap shields? i had a defense set up where the mid turret was covered by 2 generators. i did not notice that it was not firing(or rather firing.... at my own shields... and taking them down.)instead of being able to shoot through both. i was honestly expecting something along the lines of that scene in star wars, on alderaan, where the shields were mounting and complimenting each other.

But i digress, point is does this always happen or is that heavy turret just really unlucky?  i'll experiment but it doesn't matter much, turrets from mod are too op lol

BetaSpectre

If the shields overlap then I can imagine why the gun doesn't fire just imagine the shield is a mirror that reflects things from the outside when they overlap the mirror reflects what's inside of the bubble and that means your gun can't fire through although if its not shooting at all that's another problem
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO

twixzzy

where do i find the download?? i looked all over the page but can't find it :s.
it sounds cool and i really want to tray it :p

twixzzy

nvr mind i found the little bottum :p

Smacher305

Quote from: BetaSpectre on July 13, 2014, 02:01:37 AM
If the shields overlap then I can imagine why the gun doesn't fire just imagine the shield is a mirror that reflects things from the outside when they overlap the mirror reflects what's inside of the bubble and that means your gun can't fire through although if its not shooting at all that's another problem
i understand but keep in mind,the gun is inside BOTH shields. logically, it should be able to fire out through either shield. instead what occurs is the gun shoots and the projectile is immediately  destroyed by one of the shields.

Honestly i'm fine with this, the mod is amazing already and the thought of being able to defend my base indefinitely from a siege through shielding and nuclear reactors is... awesome to say the least lol.

This is what i was talking about btw, notice how the shields simply conjoin like a bubble instead of forming separate overlapping zones: http://static3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20111008202233/starwars/images/6/64/Battlegrassyplains.JPG

Jaxxa

Thanks guys for your feedback, glad to know you are mostly enjoying it. Please let me know how you are finding the balancing. If something costs too much / uses too much power and I will look into changing it for the next version.

Quote from: murlocdummy on July 12, 2014, 12:34:39 PM
The biggest issue I had with Darker's original shield was the fact that you couldn't build walls of shields.  By mid-to-late game, you'll have too many colonists and too many enemies to use only one or two shields at a time.  If you have more than that, your pawns will start shooting at each others' shields as the hordes of suicidal raiders bum-rush your ranks.

Is it possible to create a structure that functions as a shield wall that can be shot through?  In other words, instead of having a shield field with a radius around the structure, is it possible to have a structure block projectiles from one direction, but not from the other like a sort of upgraded embrasure?

And great job, jaxxa.  I'm sure Darker would be proud.

Possibly, I will look into this.

Quote from: BetaSpectre on July 12, 2014, 01:21:42 PM
It'd be cool if there was a mod that let you have a tiny portable shield that is charged at the base but lasts a long time. for individual use.

BTW thanks for the mod

That might be cool, Might have a look at the gear system or one of the droid mods as a way to add mobile shields.

Quote from: Smacher305 on July 13, 2014, 03:14:31 PM
i understand but keep in mind,the gun is inside BOTH shields. logically, it should be able to fire out through either shield. instead what occurs is the gun shoots and the projectile is immediately  destroyed by one of the shields.

Honestly i'm fine with this, the mod is amazing already and the thought of being able to defend my base indefinitely from a siege through shielding and nuclear reactors is... awesome to say the least lol.

This is what i was talking about btw, notice how the shields simply conjoin like a bubble instead of forming separate overlapping zones: http://static3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20111008202233/starwars/images/6/64/Battlegrassyplains.JPG

Currently the shields should all work independently of any other shields in the area. So if a gun is within multiple shields it should be able to fire out as long as the bulled never enters a shield (that is does not start inside). If that is not what you are finding can you post a screenshot where this issue is happening and I will look into it.

Smacher305

Quote from: jaxxa on July 13, 2014, 08:42:30 PM
Currently the shields should all work independently of any other shields in the area. So if a gun is within multiple shields it should be able to fire out as long as the bulled never enters a shield (that is does not start inside). If that is not what you are finding can you post a screenshot where this issue is happening and I will look into it.

i see.... perhaps it was that the turret is off center and the "true" center of it is on the bottom left corner, which is where the shields edge was traversing... sadly the save file with that situation is gone (with the amount of mods i have on, i can't load games. only play through in one sitting) ill test it again in a moment

Smacher305

So i did another test, and i'm not really sure what to think of how it works lol. putting the turret in this location allows me to shoot only directly down: http://puu.sh/aam5C/7e3765ac25.jpg

whereas putting it in the center(notice the turrets center is also a bit off) allows it to shoot only through the left shield. http://puu.sh/aamct/ca1f9093dd.jpg 
this isn't that much of a problem, isolated defenses are entirely possible. And if the enemy gets inside of your own shields chances are it's going down anyway. would just be nice if you could make a defensive wall using shields(that embrasure idea seems like a plausible workaround to most problems)