[MOD] (Alpha 6) Jaxxa Shields 0.08 - 2014-09-07 - Announcement

Started by Jaxxa, July 12, 2014, 12:45:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaxxa

Quote from: bobucles on August 06, 2014, 09:00:46 AM
Do shields not drop wreckage or something? When these things burn down or get destroyed nothing gets left behind. At least that was my experience with shields in the super mod pack.

Yeap, that looks like a bug, will fix it in the next version.

Edit: Fixed

Vytautas

In alpha 6 shields do not charge more than 100 points.

Also I do not know if anyone else mentioned, but shield is visible on screen only if the generator is visible. If generator becomes invisible (not visible on screen) whole shield disappears.

Jaxxa

Noted.

I plan to have an Alpha 6 version up by then end of this weekend, will see when I get it done.

I have noticed the shield disappearing when you cant see the generator, I have an idea on how to fix it, I just have to see if that works or breaks anything else.

Girlinhat

I've noticed that if shields are lined up straight, like three in a row, they tend to all go down at once.  I'm not sure if this is because damage is spread, or if it's accidentally duplicating damage across the shields that cover the same area.  When shields are in a column, and one falls after the other, they seem to work perfectly well.  It's hard to tell if it's working correctly or if there's overlap issues...

Jaxxa

Updated mod to Alpha 6 and made a few improvements, changelog in first post.

No fix for the shield not showing up if the generator is not on screen yet, has to do with the draw function not being called if not onscreen.

It may be possible that multiple shields could take damage and destroy the same projectile if they are all protecting the same square that gets hit. I don't really see that as a huge problem now, you should be able to use the new feature of being able to toggle the type of projectiles that is blocks to switch an already charged shield on while another is charging but not taking damage.

Neurotoxin

Quote from: jaxxa on August 16, 2014, 03:40:09 AM
Updated mod to Alpha 6 and made a few improvements, changelog in first post.

No fix for the shield not showing up if the generator is not on screen yet, has to do with the draw function not being called if not onscreen.

It may be possible that multiple shields could take damage and destroy the same projectile if they are all protecting the same square that gets hit. I don't really see that as a huge problem now, you should be able to use the new feature of being able to toggle the type of projectiles that is blocks to switch an already charged shield on while another is charging but not taking damage.

Yay! I missed this mod. Glad to see it gettin some alpha 6 lovin.

Somz

Yeees, A6 update!
I don't know if you could change the...attackers' attack priority, but in case you can, I have an idea I'd like you to consider. It'd be fun if the small shields would become "shield dispensers", be stronger and would require direct connection to a bigger, fragile "shield generator" (much like how electricity works), but in return raiders would often prioritize those generators.
No? Okay.  ;D
To beer or not to beer.
That is a laughable question.

SpazMan777

Quote from: jaxxa on July 28, 2014, 01:17:56 AM
Quote from: Smacher305 on July 14, 2014, 01:51:59 PM
Yea it really isn't much of a problem,  and the small inconvenience it causes can be just as easily fixed by letting people know something like (True border of shield is ~1~ block closer to center) or something of the sort.

All in all i just wanted to help, so at least the information is known now ^_^

The issue is defining what counts as the border of the shield? since behind the scenes is it protecting squares that approximate the boarder there is not a thin line but a number of squares that are protected by the shield from being shot at, but still cant fire further into the shield. From my view I would count these as inside the shield.

Just a thought, but you know the trade beacon?  It shows a white, squared outline both when placing it and selecting it once construction is complete, showing you where items need to be for trading.

Could this same mask be applied to shields demonstrating the same "protected area" in square format, when the shield is being placed/is selected?

jal21

i have tried to downlode this mod for weeks and haven't found the link to do so weeeeelllllll im dome... just found it

Plasmatic

Soon as I place the SIF Shield I get spammed with:

and it doesn't stop. If i clear the log it instantly fills it back up, it makes the speed settings lag, a lot.

Jaxxa

Hi Plasmatic.

I have not been able to replicate this issue on my machine.
Can you please confirm that you are using the latest version of This mod (0.06) and Rimworld (532).
What OS are you using?
Can you please update to the latest versions / re-download the mod. If that does not work can you Re-download Rimworld and try this on a new save with only the shield mod installed? (can use dev mode to skip to the resting without the research)

eamon360

I'm probably being an idiot, but where's the download link? or have you taken it down for now?
(Edit: My mistake, found it  ;D )

Jaxxa

1. Need to be logged in.
2. Attached at the end of the first post.

And no you are not really blind. I just added a section on how to download it to the first post, you didn't miss it.

Jaxxa

Also worth noting that the SIF shield may not be blocking 100% of shots that would hit a wall.
It is protecting the exact square that contains the wall and it looks like it will sometimes damage the wall first before the shield stops the projectile

It was originally developed as a response to the requests for Shielded Embrasures and still works well for that or stopping rounds going past sandbags.

I have an idea to make this better, rather than expanding and protecting the adjacent squares I may add a repair effect so that walls that take damage will be instantly repaired, at the expense of shield integrity, this should get almost the effect I was going for, except that walls may be able to be destroyed in one hit even with a shield on, which could be an interesting gameplay feature.

Jaxxa

Just updated the mod.

SIF shield should work better now.