[1.0] Twitch Stories (0.1)

Started by Finally, November 26, 2018, 02:31:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Finally

General concept

Every 5 minutes of playtime, this mod will start a vote in Twitch chat. There will be 3 different options to vote on, each of them is a different event which is going to happen in your colony once the vote ends. These vote options will not tell you directly which event will happen, but will give you a rough direction of the event instead. You are either able to vote on the category of an event (for example "Invasion" or "Environment") or to vote on the alignment of the event ("good", "neutral", "bad").

Each event has a difficulty rating from 1 to 5 with 1 being the easiest. The game is going to start with difficulty 1, which increases over time. The time needed to reach the next difficulty level depends on the difficulty of your game.

There are currently around 80 different events and 10 categories listed.

How to use

Before you start you need to generate an OAuth token, so the mod is able to write in your twitch channel, you can generate one using this site.

When you have your token ready, you can start RimWorld and go to Options > Mod Settings > TwitchStories.

Here you need to fill in:
- Twitch channel: Channel in which the mod should be writing
- Twitch username: User as whom the mod should be writing (the user for which you created the OAuth token)
- Twitch OAuth: OAuth token you generated
- Twitch auto connect: Automatically connects the mod when RimWorld starts, otherwise you need to do that manually
- Vote interval: How often votes should happen
- Vote time: How long each vote should be open for votes
- Vote options: How many options should a vote have
- Vote enabled: Enable votes

Now you can try to connect the mod to your twitch channel by clicking the Reconnect button, you should see a message saying 'You are in a maze of twisty passages, all alike', you can also just try to post a message over in your twitch chat, you should see that message here as well.

Download
Steam workshop

Suggestions / Bug reports

Got a cool idea or something isn't working as expected? Leave a comment or join our discord!

Credits

Special thanks to:
rachey
swenee
Xenon

Changelog

v0.1: Initial version

Finally

aukave

Really cool idea, hope to see this being used on some streams.

AtonicX

After seeing this, I immediately went onto twitch and recommended it to everyone I could find! It runs wonderfully, and let's just say... the Doomsday button is awesome!!! Credit goes to Jbaren121 for running the mod for me, he's a wonderful guy who's just getting into the game!

[attachment deleted due to age]
I've been thinking... (Oh no, it thinks!)

Trigon

I instantly recommended this to a friend of mine who semi-regularly streams strategy games. Now all I have to do is wait >:D

qurffe

So, i was watching this mod on stream.... and it is highly unbalanced, borderline unplayable. Event that makes all your colonists go berserk is pretty much Game Over, 10 Tornadoes spawned at the same = Game Over, 20 Elephant manhunters at 50k wealth = Game Over.
Granted all of these events were "diff 5", but still it needs some serious work on actual playability.
The idea is great, but for now its mostly just that, a cool concept that is a lot of fun BUT its not very playable.

Finally

Quote from: qurffe on November 27, 2018, 08:45:31 AM
So, i was watching this mod on stream.... and it is highly unbalanced, borderline unplayable. Event that makes all your colonists go berserk is pretty much Game Over, 10 Tornadoes spawned at the same = Game Over, 20 Elephant manhunters at 50k wealth = Game Over.
Granted all of these events were "diff 5", but still it needs some serious work on actual playability.
The idea is great, but for now its mostly just that, a cool concept that is a lot of fun BUT its not very playable.

At which difficulty was it played? Merciless for example is designed to be hard.

Though I think that neither the berserk nor the tornado event equal game over.
The manhunter event might be a problem but this depends on your playstyle and defenses.

But I agree that the events might need some balancing here and there and I welcome you to join the discord, if you want to help us to balance it! :)

polios3

i see one, bad thing in this mod. in Twitch username, you can't type special characters like: _ - + etc.

Finally

Quote from: polios3 on November 27, 2018, 05:16:39 PM
i see one, bad thing in this mod. in Twitch username, you can't type special characters like: _ - + etc.

This should already be fixed in the latest version, also only underscores are allowed in usernames afaik.