Are things with toggled power still using energy?

Started by Demoulius, November 27, 2018, 04:55:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Demoulius

Hi all,

I have a question to ask. In my colony I want to install coolers for each colonist because I seem to get a heat wave (or two) each year. However im not sure if my power grid can handle it and im not to sure if things that have their power toggled off still drain power or not.

I had a problem earlier when I installed 2 coolers to fix heat for some people who were suffering from heatstroke but then when winter came my powergrid was suddenly overloaded, even with the coolers turned off. Since the coolers were the only change that I could renember I think that things still drain power even when turned off. Is this true? Because if so, I have some major trouble at the moment...

Cheers,

Demo

vzoxz0

When toggled to off they do not consume power. Your heaters, however, will draw more power in winter...

Canute

Demoulius,
a cooler each sleeping room would be a bit overkill.
Since a cooler can cool more then just sleeping rooms.
I would install them on a connected room, and add vent's to the sleeping rooms.

vzoxz0

He's playing on some easy mode giving them big rooms probably. Either way your answer doesn't do anything for him, since it's about power consumption not about whether a cooler per room being overkill.

TheMeInTeam

Quote from: vzoxz0 on November 27, 2018, 12:10:46 PM
He's playing on some easy mode giving them big rooms probably. Either way your answer doesn't do anything for him, since it's about power consumption not about whether a cooler per room being overkill.

I've had the very rare occasion where toggling off power didn't impact power draw.  By rare, I mean I've played several hundred hours across the alphas until now and I've seen it twice, maybe three times.  I never found a way to reproduce it and even w/o reloading switching the device on and back off seemed to give me an updated/correct connected/rate stored reading.  For my tastes it was too infrequent and easily addressed to both with pinning down.

Canute

You are right, in the past this happen to some objects.
But that should be fixed. But if you still find some report it at the bug section so long you don't use mods. :-)

Demoulius

Excuse me. easy? Im playing on medium tyvm :P

But ive found the passive coolers to be a bigger boon then the powered ones. Im in a temperate forest for 1 reason so ive got plenty of wood lying around and 2nd I can just dissamble them if I dont need them anymore without to much of a resource hit.

But thanks for the replies guys :)