toxic fallout is as bad as the old tornado

Started by LoSboccacc, November 30, 2018, 04:24:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crow_T

toxic fallout is all about zone/roof management assuming you have decent food stores. No food, you probably want to gtfo of the current map. It's a decent event IMO, it adds some excitement. Simple enough to create a scenario disabling it BTW.
(regarding dead man's apparel)
"I think, at the very least, the buff should go away for jackets so long as you're wearing the former owner's skin as a shirt."
-Condaddy20

Nainara

I like these events such as toxic fallout and super-volcano eruption that have extended effects because they make better drama for the colony. From a gameplay perspective, it might make sense to have some form of advance warning so the colony can have a day or two to prepare. The probability of toxic fallout may benefit from some tweaking, because it seems to trigger during the 1st winter or 2nd summer for my colonies with very high consistency.

fritzgryphon

Toxic fallout is a rude challenge the first time you face it.

The second time, it's an excuse to loaf indoors, drink beer and watch Megascreen.

Maverik

Toxic fallout its an amazing event, I love it.

xion1088

Indoor farms are the answer, the only time I have had problems with Toxic fall outs was when animals didn't root as soon as they died from it, I would expose my colonist to the fallout just to haul dead animals for free food.

Koek

To be fair, toxic fallout is more of a chore than anything else unless you are not prepared or lack the right tech when playing a tribal start. The latter means you're dead.

Next time you play you'll be better prepared and get killed by something else.

Have fun :)

Shurp

As long as you have some food stored you always have the option of packing up and moving to another hex.  So toxic fallout need never be a game ender, except maybe on Naked Brutality.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Koek

Got a point there. I'd love to see things like toxic fallout and volcanic winter be a region event on the worldmap.

Vlad0mi3r

Nothing like the tornado (that is a stupid comparison, but good grab line) no total destruction with no answer. The tornado is why I had to walk away from Rimworld for a bit.

As some have said Toxic fallout is no biggy by itself once you are established. How ever it can have a layering effect. For example Toxic Fallout with Infestation. If the infestation is not near your base and you have to go outside your roofed area to deal with it that could be an issue. You can't leave the infestation for 2 seasons or you'll have more bugs than you can safely handle.
Mods I would recommend:
Mending, Fertile Fields, Smokeleaf Industries and the Giddy Up series.

The Mod you must have:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=40545.msg403503#msg403503

TheMeInTeam

Quote from: Vlad0mi3r on December 04, 2018, 08:43:17 PM
Nothing like the tornado (that is a stupid comparison, but good grab line) no total destruction with no answer. The tornado is why I had to walk away from Rimworld for a bit.

As some have said Toxic fallout is no biggy by itself once you are established. How ever it can have a layering effect. For example Toxic Fallout with Infestation. If the infestation is not near your base and you have to go outside your roofed area to deal with it that could be an issue. You can't leave the infestation for 2 seasons or you'll have more bugs than you can safely handle.

Infestation itself is necessarily under roof, and you can quickly roof to it with the occasional pillar w/o significant toxic build-up (very quickly, if you're the speed 1 pause buffer micro type).

The worst thing about toxic fallout is the hassle, even for tribal if you've farmed up a food stock you're probably fine and if it's year 1 or something and your tech still sucks you probably don't have a huge base where moving is cost-prohibitive.

sadpickle

Devastating if you are low on food and/or have animals that graze outside. Otherwise it's not even a challenge.

Canute

Then just do what i suggest first.
Grab your pawns and animals, remaining food and form a caravan, settle a few tiles away, until the toxic fallout is gone.
Noone force you to stay at the map.

Merudo

What's the max length of toxic fallout? Can it last longer than a year? That would be quite brutal.

Kramoliun

Quote from: 5thHorseman on November 30, 2018, 06:47:41 AM
I must be the only one in the entire community that likes toxic fallout events.
I  like that as well, its a strong challenge, and its what a vulcanic eruption would be like, toxic gases everywhere and ashes falling from the sky
Alea Jacta Est.

AileTheAlien

I don't mind toxic fallout, but the base game doesn't have enough ways to meaningfully interact with the event. Your choices are basically to stay inside, micromanage who can go outside based on their toxic percentage, or leave the map entirely. A gas mask could allow colonists to continue working, while the fallout continues to harm plants and animals. Crops could have resistances to chemical fallout, and so could some wild animals.