Random raider deaths are pissing me off

Started by shentino, December 04, 2018, 07:00:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shentino

So what exactly causes raiders to die when I beat them up with fists?

Besides the obvious causes of death that would kill anyone of course (metabolism or consciousness to zero, loss of a vital body part, fatal disease, etc).

5thHorseman

Toolboxifier - Soil Clarifier
I never got how pawns in the game could have such insanely bad reactions to such mundane things.
Then I came to the forums.

shentino

I was asking what, not why.

I know that it's game balance :P

I'm just asking what exactly triggers it, and at what levels.

5thHorseman

Quote from: shentino on December 05, 2018, 12:49:49 PM

Ah, sorry. A random roll. Something like 2/3 or 3/4ths of all raiders just die, no matter what, when they go down. It's in the code. It does not depend on level or storyteller, at least from what I've seen written in these forums.
I never got how pawns in the game could have such insanely bad reactions to such mundane things.

shentino

Quote from: 5thHorseman on December 06, 2018, 12:54:41 AM

Ah, sorry. A random roll. Something like 2/3 or 3/4ths of all raiders just die, no matter what, when they go down. It's in the code. It does not depend on level or storyteller, at least from what I've seen written in these forums.

Thanks, this is exactly what I wanted to know.  Do you happen to have a citation?

Canute

If you would read the description of the mod notfood linked :
QuoteIn vanilla RimWorld, human-like pawns that are not part of your colony have a chance to instantly die when downed. Animals have a 50% chance to die when downed.

5thHorseman

Quote from: shentino on December 06, 2018, 02:22:54 AM
Quote from: 5thHorseman on December 06, 2018, 12:54:41 AM

Thanks, this is exactly what I wanted to know.  Do you happen to have a citation?

Not a direct one, but it was said on this forum as that's basically the only place I get information on the game. It was during the beta when they were changing the values and trying different ones. I don't know for sure if it was Tynan himself who said it but it was an official thing.

Also, IIRC someone found it in the decompiled source code.

shentino

Does anyone, perhaps a developer, happen to know the default odds and/or the curves used by the storytellers?

Zaltys

Quote from: shentino on December 15, 2018, 10:42:32 AM
Does anyone, perhaps a developer, happen to know the default odds and/or the curves used by the storytellers?
Same for all storytellers.
Scaled value based on populationIntentFactorFromPopCurve from Storytellers.xml, modified by enemyDeathOnDownedChanceFactor from Difficulties.xml. So any colony with 20+ pawns has it at max.

27.5% to 46% in Peaceful, 41.25% to 69% in Builder, 55% to 92% in other tiers. And the way it is curved, it is already near the max at 10+ colonists.

Those numbers are, of course, completely unrealistic and clearly only done for balance reasons. Ratio of wounded:dead in real wars is usually around 6:1 (though some of the wounded die later from infection and other causes). Modern wars have been considerably less lethal than that: weapons may be better, but so is protection.