Flawless Controller support for the game

Started by xan713, December 11, 2018, 06:08:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xan713

Hi RimWorlders,

I've created a RimWorld Xbox One controller profile, using Controller Companion.
[Please note, there are other applications out there to use also, but Controller Companion is chosen for this post due to it's budget price but it's effective and works properly - please share if you have tried others]

Benefits:
-Supports controllers: Xbox 360, Xbox One, and also can support Xbox One Elite controllers with rear paddles.
-Great for playing in bed, or on a comfortable couch. Comfort!
-Playing on a TV at your leisure instead of sitting at a desk.
-Playing it on a compatible streaming device anywhere you like.
-Using a VR headset whilst you play. You can't use keyboards properly whilst using VR, with this you can use a fluid and straight forward setup, with no drawbacks. It's fully functional.

How it handles? The configuration is fluid, responsive, and straight forward. And you can modify and tweak it if you like.

If anyone is interested in giving it a go, please feel free to check out the Steam Workshop link below. A step by step guide is included on the Workshop page.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1469041778
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1469041778

You can also post suggestions/feedback there, and also get any support if you're having trouble.

I look forward to hearing from you all!

xan713

I'd really like people to give this a try, and let me know how it works for you, and to rate it in the Steam workshop after you've try it for a while. I'm really sure you'll enjoy it.

Since Tynan won't be adding in-game coded support, this is the best thing you can get, and it works perfectly fine. Nothing has been removed, nothing discounted, no cutbacks to make it work. It's all there, fully functional.

Bozobub

I actually likely will...  Eventually ^^'.  But I just added a bunch of new mods to start a new 1.0 game (finally), so it'll have to wait.

Potentially useful to maybe 3 people ::):  If you have a Moga controller of any sort, most especially the Power Pro/Power Pro 2, you can use it with a PC (assuming you have Bluetooth!) as an "XBox 360" controller using "MogaSerial".  Furthermore, it presents as a wired controller — the drivers *are not* the same — so "XBCD for 360" works, even though it won't with an actual wireless XBox 360 controller!

Fkn' woot!

For those whom are unaware, XBCD for 360 lets you redefine all axes/buttons on an XBox/XBox 360 controller connected to a Windows PC, as well as deadzones and other useful stuff.  So, for example, you can remap your thumbsticks and use the analog lower shoulder buttons as "digital" switches to work properly with many older games.
Thanks, belgord!

jpinard

Bozobub

Thanks, belgord!

xan713

Quote from: jpinard on December 12, 2018, 08:19:48 PM
Don't have Xboxone controller

Do you own any modern controllers which can be used on a PC?

If so, depending on the application you purchase from steam which let's you use a controller, many support Playstation controllers, Steam controllers, Xbox controllers, and some may even allow others such as Nintendo Controllers (But I haven't personally looked up Nintendo support as I've never owned a Nintendo of any kind).

The Xbox controller setup is selected by me as it seems to be the easiest so far.