My Tribal Challenge 1.0

Started by kclace, December 05, 2018, 02:26:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kclace

Will anyone accept this challenge? Please send screenshots or video!

Rules:

1. Tribal Start
2. Rough or higher difficulty, Cassandra or Randy
3. You may only use neolithic or medieval technology. No guns allowed!
4. (Optional) Only accept pawns with tribal backgrounds into your tribe.

OBJECTIVE:

Destroy an outlander or pirate base. Drive the colonists off our sacred lands!

Shurp

That's an interesting challenge... I wonder how difficult it would be?  What strategy would you use?

<brainstorming>

I think Great Bow would be the weapon of choice for raiding a base.  And I think you would have to play Randy to remove the popcap and put together a large enough squad to be able to defeat turrets and firearms.  Unless animals can be zoned or ordered to attack when raiding?

</brainstorming>

I may take a break from my current game and give this a try.  Does anyone else think it's interesting?
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Wanderer_joins

I did a similar tribal challenge ~ 1 y ago, it was fun: https://m.imgur.com/a/6p9Dp

I think it's still viable in 1.0, melee is even more effective against mechs and you can more easily lure good raiders inside your base.

Kirby23590

Ooga Booga!

Quote from: Translation
Interesting Challenge, No Guns and good old bum rushing with a lot of melee berserkers. Is Plate armor for everyone enough? And are supposed to have the original tribal scenario or make our on?

It's like a fun challenge now to destroy a faction base. I'm sticking to attacking the outlanders rather than pirates. :)

One "happy family" in the rims...
Custom font made by Marnador.

victoriabam

I am amazed to see people passing that tribal challenge. Still not going ahead of it.

kclace

-You have to start with the Lost Tribe Scenario.

-You can steal other technology and items to help you survive, but when you attack the base, it needs to be with all medieval or below weapons and armor.

-Molotov cocktails are allowed, but no grenades or other explosives.

Yoshida Keiji

I don't see the "challenge" in this. I go do world quest incidents in early game as with 2 or 3 pawns early on and it's very easy to wipe another outpost.

Shurp

You're supposed to wipe out a faction base, not an outpost.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

TheMeInTeam

Enemies at a base will eventually assault you, even if you don't press them.  Since plate armor is medieval you can just stack everyone in that, make a choke, and use melee.

DuckBoy

I'm not certain pure melee will always work.  Not all pawn AI charges you directly.  I've encountered a number of times (pre 1.0) when hitting settlements that enemy pawns line up outside my ramshackle 1 door melee kill zone and start pitching frag grenades instead of charging headlong into their beheadings.  You can see this when robbing passing caravans on the world map as well - they won't always charge you, sometimes they'll hang back and shoot.  I've found blocking line of sight with an additional wall behind the door and dropping stone chunks in between the sight blocker and the melee kill zone can encourage them. 

Still, I'd feel much safer bringing a psychic shock lance or two from shaman traders and ancient dangers in case of grenadiers.  That still feels pretty tribal to me. 

DuckBoy

Oh yeah, this is a pretty rough challenge. 

Several of the settlements I've tried have had mortars, really wrecking a lot of the melee door trap ideas I've had. 

The time they give you to set up seems random, with some outposts giving you a day or two to build whatever you want, and others immediately charging you with everyone.  Might be a time of day thing, I'm not sure. 

I successfully managed a 4 man luci fueled melee raid with two plasteel knives, two steel clubs, two hyperweave shirts, two tainted marine armors and a psychic shock lance in the first few days after starting.  Clearly the marine armors break the rules, but I suspect a uranium plate mail would have fared similarly.  It would have been a 5 man raid, but the 5th man got scythed on day one breaking the ancient danger.  Pirates fled at one man left standing, 3 men downed but not dead, and two of those on fire. 

If you have enough damage output to down them instantly as they walk in past a door single file, they'll never stop to shoot.  But if even one of them lasts more than a second or two, everyone else standing in the hallway will say screw it and start shooting at you. 

A couple main points to note: 
Uranium clubs are pretty strong, but unlike clubs, knives have crafting quality.  Well made plasteel knives are probably the best for a day one raid.  Replace with plasteel longswords if you're willing to research first. 

The best door trap cheese I've found is offset one from the walls giving you a 5 man surface area.  It absolutely wrecks against melee, and if your damage output is high enough, pawns will walk into you without shooting.  Unfortunately, if it does clog, and it will against a marine armor or a go juice pirate, you have to clear the door to reset with all of the enemy pawns shooting at you.  Clearing the door requires both a sizeable dump pile, a capture zone for downed but not dead pawns, both inside your tiny hut, and enough space in your caravan inventory to pick up any dropped items blocking the door.  Further, you will need to block sight before they'll stop shooting and walk into the room again. 

Anything made of wood will be set on fire both by molotovs and by pirate pyromaniacs.  I recommend not building any ceilings if you want to live.  I suspect if you built a wooden room that pirates could walk into, they would likely set it on fire and die inside of it, but I don't know that you'll have the time to do so before they charge you. 

Finally, and I was extremely impressed by this little tidbit, psychically deaf pirates are immune to shock lance.  (or potentially it was his foil helmet, either way, I couldn't target the molotov thrower)

I'd be quite impressed if this can be done with recurve or great bows and mass numbers.  The outposts I've tried have consistently had a large number of sniper rifles and hunting rifles, both of which should wreck bow and arrow shoot n scoot play. 

https://imgur.com/a/5ezLWuR

DuckBoy

Hahaha!  I did it!  Day 4, no research, no casualties!  Well... no colonist casualties anyway! 

The Set Up:
https://imgur.com/a/yWtfq9r

The Reveal:
https://imgur.com/a/wPDpPKW

Victory:
https://imgur.com/a/q7rEdOV

The Spoils:
https://imgur.com/a/3wnNS8l

I lucked out against a pirate base with no mortar or frag grenades.  They also gave me ~16 hours to prepare!  It was a glorious battle: we 5 manned the elite in marine armor with our jade maces, piled her corpse in a corner, closed the door, and spent the rest of the "battle" putting out fires on our walls while the enemy burned to death :D

And yes, they ran straight out of the room as soon as it caught fire, but they hung around smacking the steel walls and catching themselves on fire until enough of them were downed that they routed :D.  Several also ran through multiple flame tiles trying to whack the all important wooden door, which, if destroyed, would have instantly melted me :D

kclace

That's hilarious! Death to the colonizers! That's lucky that the pirates let you set that trap up. I usually get rushed every time I attack.

I just scored a victory myself against a rough outlander base. I'm not counting it as a challenge win though because i used two orbital bombardments.