Forming caravns is a pain and the most frustrating thing for me

Started by elpizo, December 06, 2018, 12:54:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

elpizo

I have no idea why but when i try to form a caravan they all just gather around the spot and wait. I've been able to make quite a few that worked out fine but sometimes no one does anything and the caravan will never get loaded. Any tips?

Canute

They all wait until all caravan pawns (colonist and animals) are around the packing spot.
When one of them are far away are all wait before they start the packing.

Ser Kitteh

Try placing multiple packing sports by your warehouse and freezer, it helps!

5thHorseman

Make a "Caravan" area that is like 5x5 centered around your caravan packing spot. Put everybody in that area and don't start your caravan until everybody is there, and nobody there has any chance of mental break.
Toolboxifier - Soil Clarifier
I never got how pawns in the game could have such insanely bad reactions to such mundane things.
Then I came to the forums.

elpizo

I think i found what was my biggest problem, my animals would just go to graze during the formation process so i made sure to leave them in the barn for a day to nake sure they were full on kibble so they won't run away to go eat during the caravan loading. Still anoying that its so complicated

Yoshida Keiji

Version 1.0 is still very frustrating in hundreds of ways, this one of the many. And the merge of people zones with animal zones another fuck up for "Simplicity", pretty much like the merge of constructing and repairing... because otherwise it's "too" difficult for the majority...

Just create an exclusive zone for caravanning and mark the pack animals you want, probably males and healthy into that designated zone, which must also include your storage/s.

Stoned on Smokeleaf

I thought this post was kind of exaggerated until today I formed a caravan to abandon my site and travel to a new one.  This was the first time I had done this.

When I accepted the formation of the caravan all hell broke loose.. 9 out of 15 colonists had a mental break...  One after the other, during the formation process.  I've had one MAYBE two people freak out while forming before, but 9 people?

I was literally dropping mentals from the caravan and saying "next!" then sure enough another freak out.

I dont understand why this happened.

Yoshida Keiji

Basically, you (we) need to "Pre-Form" a Caravan before the official caravan. Like creating a Caravan-Room that has a Storage of everything you want to load + a pack animal zone included in that room, zone all travelers as well. Then wait until next morning, let everyone have a breakfast and after that start the official caravan. Don't forget the caravan spot in it as well.

Vlad0mi3r

Sounds like you are forming very large caravans. Which need planning and resourcing as it would in the real world.

My first rule of caravanning is caravans only get made up after breakfast. Make sure everyone is rested and everyone has a full tummy. Helps manage the mental breaks as mentioned earlier.

Number 2 Don't pack things that other pawns might use. So don't pack all your simple meals as someone might go and get a pocket meal and then your caravan will not form as you are 1 simple meal short.

3. Don't unforbid anything. Caravans override forbidden and it stops you failing to form as in Number 2.

4. Doors held open. When you are loading out of rooms (Which you have to do now that roofs are not enough) set doors to hold open you will save a lot of time loading up and your animals will keep moving towards your loading pawns if they can keep a path to them.

5. Take only what you need. Better to make to smaller trips than try to do it all in one hit. Not only quicker load times but also smaller chance of being detected on the world map.

Yoshida stop whinging you are the one who puts restrictions on yourself no one else.
Mods I would recommend:
Mending, Fertile Fields, Smokeleaf Industries and the Giddy Up series.

The Mod you must have:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=40545.msg403503#msg403503

Yoshida Keiji

I say whatever I want to say. It's for the reader to take or not.

Vlad0mi3r

Quote from: Yoshida Keiji on December 30, 2018, 12:16:09 AM
I say whatever I want to say. It's for the reader to take or not.

Until you go to far and get band from the forum.  ;)
Mods I would recommend:
Mending, Fertile Fields, Smokeleaf Industries and the Giddy Up series.

The Mod you must have:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=40545.msg403503#msg403503

antibodee

I can't remember the last time I manually sent out a caravan.  Drop  pods all day.

giannikampa

Forming large caravans is very frustrating, hope it gets a rework.
I noticed that animals tend to go for food if hungry so be sure there is some food for animals near the caravan spots. I Agree with zoning the pack animals for fstest forming.

Not related to caravan forming: Did anibody of you reading put a lot of chocolate for food and got starved because the traveling caravan does not use it for eating even if it counts in "days of food"?
And as always.. sorry for my bad english