MonoDevelop and .NET 3.5?

Started by erdrik, July 13, 2014, 01:37:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

erdrik

The MonoDevelop website says version 5.0.1 needs .NET 4.0.

But the modding tutorial on the wiki says to change the projects target to .NET 3.5
If I download and install .NET 3.5 will that cause problems for this version of MonoDevelop?
If not can someone provide a link to a version of MonoDevelop that uses .NET 3.5?

Also, can I have .NET 3.5 and .NET 4.0 at the same time? (I have other programs that need 4.0)

mrofa

Net 4.0 worked for my first dll file.
All i do is clutter all around.

Haplo

The question is, if the new Unity version Tynan integrated does support newer dotNet versions. You can use a higher version of the compiler, but if the game doesn't support it, and you use a functionality of the higher version not supported, your dll will crash the game.

mrofa

I think that my plasma power gen was writen in 4.0.
All i do is clutter all around.

Haplo

Yes it may work. But if you want to be sure that it works 100% you should use the recommended version.
I just don't know what the recommended version for Unity 4.5 (the new version) is..
With the old version it was dotNet 3.5

erdrik

Thanks for the info.
Ill go ahead and work in 4.0 until I figure it out then.
It'll be a pain but shouldn't be too much of an issue to track unsupported functionality.

EDIT: What .dll should be referenced to get Log.Message to work?
Is there an update to that mod tutorial on the wiki?
becuase it told me to use namespaces:
using AI; //RimWorld AI
using Sound;         //RimWorld sound subsystem
using UI; //RimWorld GUI

None of which worked.
I was able to find Verse.AI and Verse.Sound in the Assembly-CSharp.dll, but could not find anything UI related...

EDIT2:
Nevermind, found it.
It was in Verse.

Haplo

I've updated the tutorial a few days ago. Now you can use that to build yourself an dark energy generator :)

erdrik

Trying to get carnivore hunting actually.
(EDIT: Which Ive just successfully done ;D )

Never really liked dark matter generators.  :P lol

Architect

The problem with using the wrong one seems to be to do with how the GUI is drawn. I know I had a huge issue trying to get buttons on the GUI to work with BP+ for the longest of time, even resorting to copying Haplo's code straight out of his mod to try and get a button to even appear without the entire GUI being deleted, but I simply couldn't do it. Then Tynan pointed out I was using the wrong .Net framework, and I basically face palmed myself so hard I went cross eyed for a week (exaggeration). So yeah, thats why its worth using the right one :P

On a side not, as someone that uses Monodevelop with Unity extensively, and Visual Studios (free version) with this game, I can honestly say VS is quite considerably better, and you can quite easily choose the framework with which you wish to work with in it. I'd seriously consider using VS over Monodevelop even if you did stay with 4.0, it's just faster, crashes less, and is much better at secnod guessing your code (all of which are in my own experiences).

edit:
Oh, and VS is much easier on the eyes if you use a dark theme, less white glare burning into your retinas :P
Check out BetterPower+ and all its derivatives by clicking the picture below.

It adds many new methods of power generation and uses for it, as well as other things such as incidents.