Traits and Psychic Powers

Started by Chicken Breast, November 01, 2013, 08:27:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chicken Breast

So I noticed a few things as I checked the list of suggested features.

1. There was nothing listed under Traits or Biographies.

2. Nothing about Psychic powers.

The latter might be a bit strange considering the nature of the game, but I only thought about it when I remembered the random event that happens occasionally, the one with the psychic wave affecting animals and making them go mad. You know the one? So what if certain colonists had this trait that was 'Psychic' or something? Maybe make them able to affect the minds of others, somehow make a raider switch sides in the middle of a raid and make trouble for his teammates, not to mention a distraction from your own people. Maybe that is not something that would really be considerable as implementable, but perhaps it could be an idea for a future mod for someone, I don't know.

Anyway, as far as traits, and biographies, I have a few ideas.

Traits:
Social Butterfly
Bipolar
Socially Awkward
Physically Attractive
Sensitive/Soft-Hearted
Bloodthirsty (Come to think of it I am not sure if this one is already in there)
Reserved
Outgoing
Moxie (determined to achieve ambitious goals and such)

You might want to fix the pregnant trait to be female restricted, as I saw a male pregnant. It was funny but, you know, let's not take the future too far =P Speaking of, though, I was also thinking in terms of dwarf fortress when I noticed that Pregnant was a trait. Will you be adding children? Will that be a possibility in future colonies? To have inward growth not based in taking prisoners and converting them?

For biographies, I think there should be a big list, and I honestly think it would take more than the recommendations of one person to satisfy the masses in that regard. So, I will offer some suggestions, and I hope that they inspire others to do the same!

Biographies:
Military Brat
Desert World Child - Alternatively, Frozen Planet Child (What if terrain options were available, on a sidenote?)
Space-Raised
Outcast/Exiled (Might be better suited as a trait, honestly)
Hippie Raised
Starship Captain
Starship Engineer
Starfleet Officer
Galactic Knight (Melee Weapons?)
Barbaric Warrior (Immune to negative effect from dead bodies)
Assassin Training (Childhood)/ Assassin (Adulthood - Should make immune to negative effect from dead bodies)
Space Pirate
Scientific Prodigy (Low social, high research)
Space Station Veteran
Satellite Engineer
Bounty Hunter

That's honestly all I can think of for right now. Hope this helps in some way!

Sig by Me!

Chicken Breast

I'm only bumping this because I legit forgot I posted it and I believe it could still be relevant. I'm adding this comment partially as a placeholder for further input, but also to bump the thread for new input when new eyes see it

Sig by Me!

Bolgfred

As it seems that you really really really want a feedback on your post, I will try to give it to you as good as I can.

Quote from: Chicken Breast on November 01, 2013, 08:27:13 PM
Anyway, as far as traits, and biographies, I have a few ideas.

Traits:
Social Butterfly
Bipolar
Socially Awkward
Physically Attractive
Sensitive/Soft-Hearted
Bloodthirsty (Come to think of it I am not sure if this one is already in there)
Reserved
Outgoing
Moxie (determined to achieve ambitious goals and such)

What are these traits supposed to do? By name I can think of some, but maybe I don't think the same as you. You probably better explain in more detail what you expect from these traits.

For biographies, I think there should be a big list, and I honestly think it would take more than the recommendations of one person to satisfy the masses in that regard. So, I will offer some suggestions, and I hope that they inspire others to do the same!
I think there is already a big list (Click here for the big list). And this list seems already to contain some of your suggestions.
Same like for the traits I'd suggest to point out in detail what you expect from those backgrounds.

Will you be adding children?
In the Frequent Suggestions Topic they are rated 'unknown' so I am afraid the answer to your question is - nobody knows :-)
"The earth has only been lent to us,
but no one has said anything about returning."
-J.R. Van Devil

Kirby23590

I don't if many thinked in the frequent suggestions that many people made things about psychic power being added to the game since reading the Frequent Suggestions Topic there wasn't any mention of any thing about adding abilities or psychic/magical powers in the game.

I think it could be an interesting dynamic to the game where there would be more psychic weird stuff going on like raiders fleeing for no reason or summoning a flashstorm on sieging pirates. We already have a psychic artifact that makes every animal in the map ( including your colony animals ) to become manhunters. Why not a human version of it where it makes every humanoid now trying to kill each other & every living thing in the map including your colonists and they can become affected too unless they are wearing psychic foil hats or they have the trait Psychically Deaf or Dull.

If psychic powers have been added to the game. Well it can be an interesting dynamic, like using the mind to control and bend to create false illusions like making a single animal become a manhunter to create distraction or making a single raider cower in fear & hide in a corner or force the raider to flee or make the raider go berserk or even go in a mental break in the middle of the fight. But those wearing psychic foil hats or with the trait Psychically Deaf or even Dull won't be effected at all.

Then you get something like Pyrokinesis, Electrokinesis and Telekinesis including other Psychokinesis stuff.

Pyrokinesis would use fire to of course to create fire and something like hurl fireballs to combat those pesky raiders using trees or rock chunks as cover.

Electrokinesis uses electricity to deplete shield-belt users and create a damaging electric attack with an EMP effect which is a good counter against mechanoids.

Telekinesis & other psychic powers? I don't know but something like an ability to create an unavoidable damaging attack to a single target or a wave push to throw raiders out of cover & stun them and something like a force shield or even invisible barriers.

But these might be powerful but of course you need to get it. But how? Well it should be a reward or a very expensive thing to invest in since it is potentially powerful, and some of your colonists have the potential to be one but most of the others won't be so much. The higher the psychic sensitivity trait they have an higher chance to become one. But the lower it is, they don't if they especially have the psychically deaf trait and can't be a psychic user or use it's abilities.

But the answer is how do you get it? Something like a pod that unlocks the abilities or something like injecting via serum if they can use the psychic abilities or something like that and it being in mid to late game or getting a wanderer with psychic abilities event where you can get one early or in mid-game. Thoughts?

One "happy family" in the rims...
Custom font made by Marnador.