[1.0]Rimworld Ore Processing[No Longer supported, check out my new ore mod]

Started by WolfgangPolska, December 07, 2018, 02:05:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which of mine ideas  should I add next?

No need for crafters, ores are now smelted in similar fashion as beer ferments, in primitive smelters or industrial blast furnances
New metals and their alloys
Industrial auto-miners - getting rid of need for manpower
Facilities enhancing mining speed, yield etc.

WolfgangPolska

RIMWORLD ORE PROCESSING MOD

Introduction
This mod aims to make mining more tedious, by forcing player to smelt ores in order to make use of mined stuff on the map. It also adds quarries mining wells, where said ores can be mined, so you won't run out of metal ever again.
Features
Mineables yield ores instead of processed metals in brand new fueled smelters.  I have added adobe bricks, if you dont have metal source and 50 stone blocks for first smelter. Now u can make adobe bricks with diggable stuff and some sun.
Mod also adds mining platform where you can mine those ore chunks if none of ores are present on the map, they need to be put on mining holes though, and mining single chunk still takes up quite a lot of time. Experienced miners can even dig gold or uranium! I may increase work thereshold even further to nerf getting metals and resources out of thin air.(Now places suitable for mining are generated randomly on the map.)

Known Issues
As I am begginer in modding, some problems may occur during your playthrough, if they do so, report them in this topic, so I can take a look at them.
Download
My GitHub, yay
https://github.com/WolfgangPolska/Rimworld_OreProcessing
And release:
https://github.com/WolfgangPolska/Rimworld_OreProcessing/releases/tag/v1.96
Future plans

• Add Hediffs to pawns working at quarries to further nerf the metal mining
  • More smelting facilities, and extensive tech chain required to smelt ores
  • I hope to devise more features in future
Help
I would much appreciate any feedback regarding rimworld modding, and if someone was to retexture the whole thing, he(or she) should feel free to do so, and I will include graphics in this mod, as well as credits for their author.
Credits
-sma342 for better textures (check out his work!).
-Vovik for fixing dumb mistakes of mine.
I have no idea how, but it works!!!

ClickedDaisy

Seems interesting, I will try it out.

Although by reading the description it kinda seems like doing a ice sheet tribe challenge might now work with this

ClickedDaisy

Immediate issue. When launching the game with the mod it says it is not made for this version, I have the latest version of the game.

WolfgangPolska

Quote from: ClickedDaisy on December 07, 2018, 03:10:11 PM
Immediate issue. When launching the game with the mod it says it is not made for this version, I have the latest version of the game.

It was made for 1.0, should work without problems, it is matter of version I have put in about.xml, and really doesnt matter much.

Naji

temple_wing

Please provide other download, google drive is banned by chinese gov.
Mediafire and github is the best.

Codexehow

Thanks for the effort :) New mods are always appreciated!

That said, please tell us a bit more about what the mod actually does. I have a lot of mods and even with a beefy computer, the game takes like 15-20 min to load.

Testing mods takes a lot of time.

WolfgangPolska

More detailed description and picture with facilities and ore chunks added.

Codexehow

Thanks!

Looks really useful for slowing down the game a bit. I'm about to test it.

ClickedDaisy

Found an issue. To make uranium it uses iron chunks instead of uranium chunks.

WolfgangPolska

Quote from: ClickedDaisy on December 09, 2018, 10:53:55 AM
Found an issue. To make uranium it uses iron chunks instead of uranium chunks.

Yeah sorry, I have overlooked that.
Please download again and reinstall.
I have also ajusted few values so mining operation gives more xp for miners, but node building and mining takes much more time, so you might want to employ only the experienced miners.

temple_wing

Would you please provide mediafire download? Google drive is not accessiable from China.

vovik

• To smelt metal you need research, to research you need metal - loophole.
  • So, to get some iron need to build the primitive refinery, to build that you need stone blocks, to get stone blocks you need stonectutter table, to build it you need steel... endless loop that is unresolvable without steel input.. and neolithic times and no research if you dont find steel (research table needs steel) - well, actually you will fing it anyway, but thats a biig loophole - solution is allow digging smelter from dirt (first smelters were made of clay).
  • Gold and silver react poorly to electromagnetic fields, so it may require more  power and/or time to heat it up, or just cannot be properly smelted at electric smelter
  • Neolitic smelter smelts only steel is not true - long before iron or bronzer was discovered people knew about gold and silver - they were smelted easially, so not allowing to smelt that at neolitic smelter is bit illogical.
  • Using coal on electromagnetic ore extraction is so illogical... you use raw electric power, you need no coal.
  • Building extraction nodes is not only illogical but defies common sense as you cannot know where resource is and its not 100% there every time when you build harvest node, also requiring extration node to bu built on smoothable is pretty logical - forces to extract metals where they are generated - in stone, but stone can be smoothed and you can no longer buikd node there. Solution is to incorporate harvest nodes into world generation - solves both problems.
  • Harvest nodes and !stone!-made smelter has 100% flammability... Wat?

Need more consistency and logic.
Overall mod is nice.

About features - this mod is small as it should be, no more features needed, there is a mod fo that!

Here is attachment - i fixed most of that for you, also added balance - smelting at different smelters is progressively better.
I will add nodes into world gen later.. or think of other solution.

[attachment deleted due to age]
Nun liebe Kinder gebt fein acht
Ich bin die Stimme aus dem Leere
Ich hab euch etwas mitgebracht
Ein heller Schein am Firmament
Mein Herz brennt

vovik

i didnt find the ability to modify map gen with pure xml, i didnt try to mod that, so id propose to build mining node out of few chunks and some resources, and name it mining well + hediffs for crampled space mood debuff (which is negated by undergrounder).
Nun liebe Kinder gebt fein acht
Ich bin die Stimme aus dem Leere
Ich hab euch etwas mitgebracht
Ein heller Schein am Firmament
Mein Herz brennt

Canute

QuoteNeolitic smelter smelts only steel is not true - long before iron or bronzer was discovered people knew about gold and silver - they were smelted easially, so not allowing to smelt that at neolitic smelter is bit illogical.
Need to notice, gold and silver got a lower smelt point then iron.