A simple but powerful option for stockpiles

Started by Crymsin, December 11, 2018, 06:42:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crymsin

I believe the game would benefit greatly from a stockpile option to prevent items placed within from being moved to another stockpile, while still allowing them to be 'used' ie a pawn could eat a meal in the stockpile, but not move the meal to a higher priority stockpile. I use lots of stockpiles, some a single block, often for specific placement of objects such as meals, components, etc. Problem is, I dont want my haulers constantly moving items back and forth between these stockpiles. The ability to have a bill have the item taken to a specific stockpile is great, but I dont want every single item placed there moved one at a time to another location getting my haulers stuck in loops until crafting stops, and I dont want the other items from my larger trade stockpiles placed on top of them capping out the stockpile either. From what I've seen of Rimworld, it seems like it would be a very simple thing to create, and give players a powerful organization tool.

5thHorseman

I'd prefer pause/resume thresholds like bills have. Seems it'd be cleaner.
Toolboxifier - Soil Clarifier
I never got how pawns in the game could have such insanely bad reactions to such mundane things.
Then I came to the forums.

Crymsin

...How is that cleaner? It's not even remotely the same functionality, its a completely different concept.

5thHorseman

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but I thought you were trying to keep people from restocking 1x1 stockpiles with 70 item in them with 5 items, every time 5 items were removed. Or removing 1 meal from a stockpile that can hold 10, every time the cook drops that meal into it.

Your suggestion makes it so they'd never haul it. Mine makes it so they haul it when it reaches the threshold you set, which could be the maximum of the stockpile or even more than it so they'd never haul. So mine accomplishes everything yours does and more.
Toolboxifier - Soil Clarifier
I never got how pawns in the game could have such insanely bad reactions to such mundane things.
Then I came to the forums.

Crymsin

Your idea could be used as a complex way to manage stockpile shuffling to an extent, but the option to never restock from/to another stockpile still doesn't exist.