Thrumbo in version 1.0 is the lamest of all builds

Started by Yoshida Keiji, December 12, 2018, 07:09:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yoshida Keiji

I got a Thrumbo wandering in to my map and a few days later a raid of just 2 tribals. Read again, raid of 2 tribals. So I enraged the "mighty beast" with a ranged colonist once the raiders closed in to proximity. Raiders were 1 melee and 1 ranged. The melee enemy went to face tank the Thrumbo while the ranged one shot from afar.

What's the odds to your imagination?

Well...

The Thrumbo missed 5 hits in a row...and was killed by the 2 tribals... This is how bad V1.0 ended.

Canute

2 tribals kill a thrumbo, maybe a lucky hit or the thrumbo was old got ashma and other diseases ?

Yoshida Keiji

Inexcusably healthy thrumbo versus early game raiders...

mlzovozlm

Shurp

If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

5thHorseman

Anecdote is not the singular form of Data.

I opened an Ancient Danger and the only colonist death from the ensuing fracas was the colonist that accidentally shot the Thrumbo that just all on its own wandered between us and the ancient supermen we had unleashed.

So if Thrumbos are terrible in 1.0 then Ancient Dangers are apparently worse. Or there are aberrations sometimes. Yeah that's it :D
Toolboxifier - Soil Clarifier
I never got how pawns in the game could have such insanely bad reactions to such mundane things.
Then I came to the forums.

jpinard

The Thrumbo killed off 3 of my mid-game people.  So big freaking deal.  RNG gods were in tribal favor for a once in a million shot in your game.

Ukas

Agree with OP. Thrumbos are just lame, it has nothing to do with RNG gods. The way thrumbos are now you could almost just tag them to be hunted like you do with other animals such as wild boars etc. I used to send a runner and ten pawns armed with best guns to hunt them, but now just two guys with assault rifles will do the job. Actually timber wolves are more threatening, because chance to miss when shooting wolves is greater than chance to miss thrumbos.

Kirby23590

I just kill them with large groups of armed colonists with charge rifles and machine guns.

Not lame with they give you so many meat and horns. If you disagree with thrumbo meat and selling their fur than randy random will say that you are the lamer. :P

Not good for keeping as pets but they very useful in raids if they are still around, just enrage one and watch the raiders try to put him down for you!

One "happy family" in the rims...
Custom font made by Marnador.

JackWearskin

Thanks for the interesting anecdote.

Now tell me something about RNG, please.

AileTheAlien

Did thrumbos get nerfed this week or something? Last time I was playing, I needed at least 7 colonists with rifles, or 5-ish colonists with automatic weapons, to safely kill thrumbos.

TheMeInTeam

Quote from: AileTheAlien on December 16, 2018, 10:45:59 AM
Did thrumbos get nerfed this week or something? Last time I was playing, I needed at least 7 colonists with rifles, or 5-ish colonists with automatic weapons, to safely kill thrumbos.

Never needed more than 1 if you micromanaged well, though it would take ages/not be worth unless using end game weaponry or at least a few pawns with ok-ish firearms.  Thrumbo horn is a wealth trap too.

Maybe OP's scenario the thrumbo got brain-shot or something very rare RNG wise.  Or maybe they were nerfed, not sure.

Kirby23590

Well there's also the fact you can used tamed animals to be set to release like either 3 or 4 of them...

And having the shooters skills like 6 or 12 to make sure that they are accurate at best and not being imperial stormtroopers hitting the broadside of the barn...

The go too weapons in midgame if get a single thrumbo would be pump shotguns with 6 people or more armed with assault rifles or machine pistols, along with some tamed animals set to release and some with bolt-action rifles for support from a distance...

Sure the animals set release might die, but they do a good job of distracting the thrumbo along with some kitting around it. ;)

One "happy family" in the rims...
Custom font made by Marnador.

TheMeInTeam

Fighting thrumbos on older patches:

https://i.imgur.com/drvYmVE.jpg

Works the same today.  No reason to lose anything unless you feel like it.

Shurp

If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.