Rimworld Royale

Started by Rettsu, December 12, 2018, 01:06:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rettsu

Hello guys! i look at Black Ops 4 Royale mode, Fortnite, PUBG... So..is this even possible (in theory) to create 2D Battle Royale in Rimworld (like stand-alone game)?

Now the points.

1. Big map. We need really big map. Maximus size now is 400x400, but we need to go bigger (maybe 4000x4000). Dont know how realistic is it to do (and how much lag did we get). Also what type of the map? Invatiable (1 map like in Fortnite) or fully random with different biomes? In last variant we can add smth like "Different Biomes" and "Real Ruins". Or create different game modes (normal map and random maps).

2. Game speed. In Rimworld we can speed up time and pause it when we want. But in online we cant do that. Everything will be in real time. 1x gamespeed kinda slow, 2x kinda fast. I think 1,5x speed is good enough.

3. Character creation. We can make 3 different characters (if you want more - pay some $$$ to unlock more slots ;)) Every character have some points. We can spend it for on improving skills (exception - ranged/melee, because every1 gonna up this 2 skills from start). Ofc some skills will be useless (art, mental work - we dont need it in online), but other can help in game.

SKILLS:
Building - faster building/wrecking, better object quality, less chance to lost resources on build. What we need to build? Viewing towers (we playing with fog of war so we cant see whole map, but sniper on viewing tower is a really good thing), barriers, barbed wire, sandbags, traps (different traps, need to find a blueprint, higher build skill - less chance the enemy will see the trap), walls/embrasures, doors/gates, defense turrets (different turrets, need to find blueprint). Some turrets  not autonomous (dont need SPS - Self-contained Power Supply) but require player control, some of them needs SPS (and can shoot automatically). Use the standard power scheme (generator, battery, connection to object)  in an online game is not rational, so we just build turret and SPS near it.
Mining - faster mining (we can find some resources in ruins or in lootboxes, but mountains hide more treasures: steel, components, etc)
Cooking - Good food restores damaged body parts faster (we cant restore damaged body parts in bed because we dont have enough time for this). We can cook food on bonfire.
Crop production - cut down trees faster/collect plants (for bonfire and walls/doors), higher chance of getting more resources from collecting.
Animal breeding - if you have some food, you can tame some animal. At first it will not always turn out, but in time it will be possible to ride a horse. You can travel faster, carry more resources and shoot while riding (like in Giddy-Up mode). Ofc you need more food (for your new companion).
Crafting - if you dont find any good weapon, but you have some resources, you can craft your weapon. Better craft skill means higher chance to craft good weapon (ranged/melee), clothes or shield/body armor. You can make something on your knee, but to create complex, high-quality and legendary (yes, from common to legendary, like in Infused mod) things/weapons you need to find a workbench.
Medicine - the higher the skill, the faster the bandaging, stopping of bleeding, reviving, pain reduction, elimination of diseases. Also good medic needs less bandages/medkits for healing (but medicine cant restore damage bodyparts).

Also we need to pick a traits and pick an interest level for some skills. How it work:
* You can pick 1 free OLIVE trait for free (if you want).
* We have 2 free point (so you can pick 2 good AQUA trait or 1 UNIQUE trait)
* Total traits per character - 4 (so you can pick 2 AQUA traits, 1 OLIVE trait and 1 Terrible/Bad trait)
* Normal skill interest (learning speed - 100%) costs 1 point
* High skill interest (learning speed - 150%) costs 2 points
* Maximum skills with interest - 3

TRAITS:
Terrible (+2 points) - RED (Ex. Pyromaniac, Depressive)
Bad (+1 point)   - YELLOW (Ex. Chemical Interest, Brawler)
Good with bad (0 point) - OLIVE (Ex. Too Smart, Gourmand)
Good (-1 point)   - AQUA (Ex. Sanguine, Fast Learner)
Unique (-2 points) - PURPLE (Ex. Cannibal, Night Owl)

So you need to choose wisely, what to pick. 2 good traits or 1 unique? Or maybe pick 1 OLIVE trait and invest 2 points in high skill interest in range combat skill? Or pick 2 terrible traits, but you can pick 2 high interest and 1 normal interest?

How to improve your skills? As usual. The more often you do something, the faster it improves. But remember: the higher the skill, the faster it degrades.

So, what we need to play in our Rimworld Royale (list of mods)?
1) Color Coded Mood Bar - for better mood lvl visualization (we still can lose control because of traits like Pyromaniac or because of extreme low mood)
2) Stack XXL - our character can carry a little more resources than in offline Rimworld
3) Simple Sidearms - for weapon switching
4) Some kind of mod on ammunition - nobody want a weapon with infinity bullets
5) Run & Gun - move and shoot
6) ED-Embrasures - for defense, but need a good balance for it
7) Dubs Rimkit - set of accessories with abilities and stat boosts (medkit, repair kit, etc)
8) Damage Indicators - nuff said
9) Advanced Biomes - for more variable map
10) RimHUD - good HUD, better than vanilla
11) Pick Up and Haul - for carry more than 1 type of item
12) RPG Style Inventory - really good and informative mod
13) Real Ruins - for random maps
14) Rain washes away Filth - on the burned fire or blood on the ground it can be understood that here recently someone was. But rain can wash away all traces.
15) Alpha animals - for more animals
16) Colorful Traits - for traits ofc
17) Infused: Tech Edition - prefixes for items
18) RT`s Weapon Pack Reloaded - more weapons (but need balance)
19) Realistic Darkness - hard to see smth if you dont have any flashlight
20) Real Fog of War - no more full open map
21) Survival tools - adds some tools for some type of work
22) [EC]Shields - for close combat battle
23) Zombieland - Zombie can spawn in ruins at night. In some ruins can be found good items or...
24) Lootboxes (sponsored by EA  :D) - Fortnite style. Find lootbox, open it and grab your prize (the chest opens with a lot of noise, which may attract zombies or other players)

I know that I did not need to write this whole wall of text. Might just ask if it's realistic to do Rimworld Royale or not (and if some1 interested in this). But sometimes i want to dream... What do you think guys?  ;D

ManHuntingSquirrel

This would work better as a mod.
Anyway,good idea,Rimworld's point is about surviving no matter what happens,exactly like a battle royale
- The Squirrel-Llama Manhunting Association CEO

masno

I really find this idea interesting for a mod to be honest,so I will give my 2 cents about it.

1- A good mod to use that balances combat,guns, have some good mods compatible and also adds ammo is CE,would make the combat way more fluid(and brutal,as it should be), with things like supression, in case one of your pawns is in danger, you shoot against them so they give him time to go for a safe place.

2- 1 time speed for walking,shooting,eating. But 3x for the day and necessities. This way should balance the slow pace of the pawns.

3- I think some modification on how pawns mind works. Like imagine having a gun fight,and some of your pawns simply go berserker, that would give this battle royale the rimworld taste.

4- Also some mechanic for the bionics is needed. If you already start with some bionic would be broken because some of them can make the game easier,or harder. One option would be cargo drops leaving some bionics and your pawn could do the operation to install it,and the operation would take less time to recover, or a new medkit that is rare and instantly wakes the pawn after the surgery.

5- Also, I think the perfect number of pawns every player should control is 2,not hard to control in combat,and have the possibility to save a pawn that was downed,but can be still be alive.

6- There is a mod that adds windows,would be interesting in case of the fog and houses. And this leads to my next point:

7- The map. In my opinion it should be a permanent one,not one random. Why? Because battle royale is already a gender where 70% of the chance you win is just luck. Luck of getting a gun before the other guy gets, luck of the safezone (also the next point) is close to you,almost everything is luck,so yeah, having a permanent map would help players to decide if they are going to some place with high risk = high reward or not,like in PUB or fortnite. This also opens the possibility for diferent maps,like desert or tundra maps,where you need to survive the environment and the other players.

8- The zone. In my opinion the toxic fallout would be a great way to get players moving. The first time it gets out will slowly start to develop,but smaller the circle,faster the infection. The game should go on 3 days, starting 12PM, and the zone always moving 2 times a day, at 5 PM/AM,so players should always be moving and the game wouldn't be more slow as it already would be.

9- Events. Rimworld naturally have a lot of events, and a great way to keep the game active is having agressive events on places were a lot of people are camped (like red zone on PUB), cool events could be like "in one minute this region maybe will have plague" or "animals will go manhunter in this region,be carefull" so players would always be alert.

10- Cargo drops. Rimwold already have its drop system,and it could be implemented and improved for the BR,like:
Normal drops: Just some cargo that occasionally will drop at some random place,with food,ammo or peglegs.
Rare drops: this drop will leave some good gun with some good equips for you to grab, or a great gun and nothing else.
Legendary drops: this bad boy will have a great gun and the best equips you could get, but, will be protected by a mechanoid, the rarer the weapon,stronger the mech.

11- Talking about guns, this reminds me one thing. Guns in CE have differents sights, but also the quality of the gun dictates the quality of the sight,so normal guns could be find until excellent quality outside of drops, with this, scopes would be better to shot,so the gunfights would be a little more exciting.
Some guns (like good sniper rifles) should only be better than good,but harder to find. With rimsernal and CE guns, I think that heavy anti-material rifles,grenade lauchers and charge weapons should go to drops, and most of the rest could go to normal map.

12- About character creation, this would broke totally the "rim experience" of having pawns with different problems and personalities. In my opinion,before queueing a game,you could pick 2 between 8 random pawns,way more fair.

13- And for the last point,drugs. We know that some pawns are junkie and love a drug, so they should be a bit common,especially for improves pawns tolerance in combat,like go-juice. Having like a luciferium in the bag for a exclusive use would be primordial to certain situations.

I really liked your idea, I even been thinking about how crazy,brutal and how much survival would it take to live in battle royale in rimworld. Imagine like, your pawn losing a leg,but he needs to move on because you are not in the safe zone, or you didn't find any food or animal,so you need to eat that guy you killed early. Just imagine all those fortnite gamers having to take this decisions!

ManHuntingSquirrel

Harvest another guy's heart because your character is 80 years old and has hearth disease or  having to harvest wild healroot to treat infections would be fun.

Question: How is this suposed to work? Real online players fighting or only one person against other 99 CPU controlled teams?

masno

In my opinion, it would make more sense if was online. Real players would give be challenger than some bots wandering in the map in my opinion. But without anyone hugging the idea to create a mod like this, we can only dream about it.
I hope one day we can play a mod like this, I already am getting tired of offline gameplay.

ManHuntingSquirrel

Quote from: masno on January 29, 2019, 06:49:31 PM
In my opinion, it would make more sense if was online. Real players would give be challenger than some bots wandering in the map in my opinion. But without anyone hugging the idea to create a mod like this, we can only dream about it.
I hope one day we can play a mod like this, I already am getting tired of offline gameplay.

Have you thinked of copying your first post and pasting it into a new topic in Mods?

Thirite

masno

This community dislikes the idea of a mode that isn't a colonoy (just look the last post), So it probably wouldn't get any vision at all,or a lot of criticizes just because "we are not like the others".

ManHuntingSquirrel

1: Thirite, if you are talking to me, i wasn't joking.

2: Masno, there's probably someone in the mod community who thinks making a mod or even a free fangame is a good idea. As long as the Mods topic doesn't get deleted people will read it and eventually someone who likes the idea will read it.

Thirite

Nah, I was replying to OP. It wouldn't bother me at all if someone wanted to make this as a mod, but the idea of Tynan making rimworld jump on the "Battle Royale" fadwagon is-- well, calling it silly would be an understatement. Enough games have already been ruined by trying to cash in on the BR gravy train. And the fact that OP is actually saying the worst cancer of modern videogames, aka: lootboxes, should be added to RimWorld? This has to be either a joke or trolling.

masno

So, I'm not the OP, I didn't gave the idea to use lootboxes.
And I just google rimworld royale and that was the only thing I found about.It is not that I don't want to create a thread about it in the mod forum,os just that I don't think there Will né enough people interesses in a mod about BR